Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most agonising pain?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This, are you a regular sufferer, the doctor has said that she doesn't want to put me on allopurinol as my attacks aren't frequent enough to warrant it. Which is a pain when I do get an attack.

I would go back to your doctors and tell her you want to give it a go or get a new doctor. Give blood when you know your purines will be high. I was diagnosed in 2010 and have been on 300mg a day since then. I get the odd twinge from time to time but nothing that isn't resolved by painkillers and cherry supplements usually within 24 hours as well.

Prior to that I had attacks exactly how you describe. Fingers and toes are bearable just about but I've had three really bad attacks in my ankles and it's really not pleasant. As you say you can't have cover on it at night and any touch is awful.

Can only speak for myself but allopurinol has worked wonders for me. As I mentioned I found cherry supplements which you can get from most health food shops do the trick when I have a twinge. They aren't cheap (£15-£20 for 20) but worth it as they seem to work. They also sell cherry cordial which I haven't personally tried but both are far easier than having a punnet of cherries in the house at all times.

Also try and narrow it down to what your trigger is and avoid it. Mine appears to be beef, especially roast beef. Bit of a bugger that but could be worse a pal of mine can no longer get on with dark beer.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Having a wisdom tooth put in

Shame it didn't work...

Cellulitis of the leg was pretty bad as I had a very active job and hobbled around on it for a week before I dragged myself to A&E.
Thankfully I responded to the anti-biotics otherwise could have lost the leg. Don't buy cheap shitty shoes folks!

I had that earlier this year. Not as painful (for me) as torn ligaments in my back, that laid me up for 6 weeks.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Some amazing, terrifying and painful cases on here. Makes you appreciate that your own little twinges aren't always that bad.

Keep strong all!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Having plate glass pulled out of my forearm, piece by piece, without pain relief.

Went through a window and it just opened my arm up completely, cut the muscle/ligaments/nerves etc, absolutely never known pain like it.

The scary bit was when it all just stopped - my body couldn't process it anymore. Bizarre. Can't remember much after that

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Not so much pain - but 3 months of discomfort. Taking 2 months to diagnose amoebic dysentry and giardia whilst cramping, puking shitsquirting and losing a quarter of my bodymass as I dragged myself through the dirtiest hostels of India.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yeah that's me. And yeah it was incredibly painful!

Still have the photo if anyone's interested!

Warning graphic photo below for those that don't like gore.

667700ff73f694a5e282631304337971.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw something very similar in the film Severance with Danny Dyer. It reminded me of that. :sick:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
systemic septaceamia....11 weeks on iv anti-biotics................wouldn't wish it on a dog...bloody awful.

two broken legs didn't even come close.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am with the OP.. had an infected abscess on the root/nerve of a buried wisdom tooth.. the pain was simply constant, and each day was like turning the dial up on the pain. It was constant, wave like pain that consumed your every thought. I would happily have gouged it out with a rusty teaspoon - simply no relief. I got to the point that I couldn't open my mouth to speak because of the swelling, was admitted to hospital for an emergency operation : anaesthetic had to be applied through a tube, gradually inserted through my nose.. I cannot tell you the relief of coming round afterwards and effectively being pain free..even the removal of drains from the site couldn't dampen the euphoria of being pain free..

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
My lung collapsing wasn't exactly a pleasant feeling.

Know that feeling

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk

Pneumothorax, for me. Each breath feels like a knife is being driven down through your shoulder into your chest.

Seems there's a few victims of this on here.

Had a couple now (8 years apart), and can safely say they rank #1 and #2 in my 'most agonising pain' list.

Now just awaiting surgery to prevent it happening again.

Having googled the procedure (bad idea) - it looks possible that my #1 slot will soon have a new entry! :eek:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Had a couple now (8 years apart), and can safely say they rank #1 and #2 in my 'most agonising pain' list.

Having googled the procedure (bad idea) - it looks possible that my #1 slot will soon have a new entry! :eek:

Good luck mate, I hope they can sort it out

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would go back to your doctors and tell her you want to give it a go or get a new doctor. Give blood when you know your purines will be high. I was diagnosed in 2010 and have been on 300mg a day since then. I get the odd twinge from time to time but nothing that isn't resolved by painkillers and cherry supplements usually within 24 hours as well.

Prior to that I had attacks exactly how you describe. Fingers and toes are bearable just about but I've had three really bad attacks in my ankles and it's really not pleasant. As you say you can't have cover on it at night and any touch is awful.

Can only speak for myself but allopurinol has worked wonders for me. As I mentioned I found cherry supplements which you can get from most health food shops do the trick when I have a twinge. They aren't cheap (£15-£20 for 20) but worth it as they seem to work. They also sell cherry cordial which I haven't personally tried but both are far easier than having a punnet of cherries in the house at all times.

Also try and narrow it down to what your trigger is and avoid it. Mine appears to be beef, especially roast beef. Bit of a bugger that but could be worse a pal of mine can no longer get on with dark beer.

I've been on Allopurinol for, maybe 15 years. I had several attacks before they put me on it, not one since, 100mg a day, no problem.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom

I had an operation in 2007 and haven't had one since, touch wood

Sent from my 4027X using Tapatalk

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Kidney stone

Snap!

I was up in London several years ago due to a rail strike stayed in a hotel for two nights,tried Asprin which usually works for me but not this time,the only way of lessening the pain was to sit close to an electric fire, playing on my back,on arriving back in Brighton went straight to the docs,however the pain was gradually getting less intense,medical opinion was i must have peed it away whilst on the train,so if you should get a Kidney Stone get on the next train,providing there is no strike action

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
During surgery for a kidney issue I had a stent put in between my kidney and bladder to allow for the ureter to heal around it. After four weeks they remove the stent by putting a camera all the way up your old bill and into your bladder, they then feed a tool through it to grab the stent that's floating around in there, and then pull the camera, tool and stent out all in one go. You see it all on the TV screen. Its like some weird version of those grab a toy machines you see on the pier.

I don't know what was worse, the camera going up there or the syringe full of lubricating gel. Either way I now know what the inside of my knob looks like.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Umm ..losing bits of 2 fingers after sticking my hand under the deck of a lawn mower whilst the blade was going round ..looking for the bits afterwards took my mind off of it for five seconds
Wasn't that keen on a colonoscopy without any help meant I felt I wax being kicked in the stomach repeatedly

Apart from that lot of I've been quite blessed

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Stone me. I now understand why there are so many miserable and antagonistic gits on here, everyone's in pain.
No wonder the NHS is struggling it's all the fault of Albion fans.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Torn ligament in the back. But worse chilli sauce in the eye ( face eye or jap eye )

Reading other posts I have been lucky.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tonight.

There's no football, no tennis, every television channel seems to be about animals and bugger all interest. I'm thinking of going to bed very early as I'm so bored. International breaks are painful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tonight.

There's no football, no tennis, every television channel seems to be about animals and bugger all interest. I'm thinking of going to bed very early as I'm so bored. International breaks are painful.

Channel 4 is showing the Paralympic swimming.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
48+ hours of toothache. Had an abcess flair up on friday night. No pain killers helped at all, couldnt see a dentist until monday as the only thing to do was pull it. I spent all that time having to have ice cold water (i dont know why it worked) in my mouth. Didnt sleep all weekend. I think I actually went a bit mad tbh. Monday 9am at the dentist and the relief as the injection went in was better than anything I have ever felt.

Worst thing was I was told i couldnt lie down for 8 hours. Watched the Ashes and just passed out in the chair for 10 hours.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here