Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The £36m i360 set to go ahead

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have a revolutionary idea ! Why not build a new pier with the money coming from the West Pier Trust and government and private equity ? We can put attractions on it like Donut kiosks and fruit machines and sell ice creams and people will love walking over the cool water on a balmy summers day.

That is revolutionary. The whole point with the redevelopment of the West Pier is that it would have a theatre and nice restaurants and things on it, unlikely the over-priced utter crap on the other one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The councils reasoning is to draw more people to Brighton and to spend more money. All of your suggestions are people who are already in, or will come to Brighton anyway, and the i360 will take their money, not local businesses.

I can believe that you will use it in your lunch hour on a regular basis though.

Not as the pod thingy, no. But there will be a 400-seater café/restaurant.

I'd imagine it would be quite a lunch-time draw on a day like today.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Portsmouth might well be a dump in places-much like Brighton. What it has going for it is a council regenerating large parts of their city that for years have been eyesores. London Road anybody? Portsmouth also has its Dockyards housing a large number of historic ships and buildings which I imagine looks good from the Spinaker. As would The Solent and views of the Isle of Wight. It isn't quite the dump you'd like it to be.

Looking out over Regency Square will obviously be more than the square but it will still be lots and lots of tightly packed rooftops in most directions. I won't be paying the rumoured £20-£25 to go up the thing.

It will never be self sufficient, no matter how optimistic one is. I'd like to see it be a massive success. Sadly it will be funded by the council for a few years and then get sold for a pound to a private company just to appease the local tax payers and then with no upfront costs they'll make a profit for a while then flog it when it needs money spending on it.

The view FROM Portsmouth might be quite good. The views OF it - i.e. you need to go there, aren't so spectacular.

We have a council (finally) re-generating parts of the city. London Road, which you've now mentioned twice, is being re-generated with council assistance.

And you'll be way above the rooftops. On a good day, you will also see the Isle of Wight to Beachy Head - and all points in between.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is revolutionary. The whole point with the redevelopment of the West Pier is that it would have a theatre and nice restaurants and things on it, unlikely the over-priced utter crap on the other one.

Ah, but, Chips, Burgers Ice Creams SELL. We could put a bar on it and people would come and have a pint of Harvey's gazing out over the sea.... some tourists might even have 2 pints, not locals obviously.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
TLO you may as well give up. I agree with you as I sure many do but you've explained the benefits clearly enough to teach a hamster. No more needs to be said.

My brother [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] coined a good phrase t'other day. 'You can beat a pigeon at chess however the pigeon at some point will walk around knock all the pieces over and think it has won.'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Exactly my point, it will be diverting money from local businesses to itself, not bringing more money into the local economy.

After the pathetic view from the Wheel I wouldn't go up the I 360 at all, and even tourists will only go up it once. It's a one trick pony with little future return after the initial novelty wears off.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
TLO you may as well give up. I agree with you as I sure many do but you've explained the benefits clearly enough to teach a hamster. No more needs to be said.

My brother [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] coined a good phrase t'other day. 'You can beat a pigeon at chess however the pigeon at some point will walk around knock all the pieces over and think it has won.'

Will there be a discount for hamsters?

Why would you play chess with a pigeon?

I’ve heard some daft analogies in my time but these ones take the [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION].

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Think there is a slight difference between a local authority seeing long-term sense in a project and a private company. Any private investor will be looking at the financial return of the i360 in isolation. A local authority may decide the investment is worth it when looked at in tandem with regenerating a local area, showing potential investors that the council is pro-active and trying to stimulate the local economy, encourage other new businesses into the area, job creation etc.

Am not saying I know one way or another whether it will be a success. But a private investor will not be looking at the same criteria when deciding whether to fund a project like i360.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Exactly my point, it will be diverting money from local businesses to itself, not bringing more money into the local economy.

That aspect (lunch trade during off-season) isn't about bringing new money in, it's about maximising the take within the finite pot that is there.

I used to work in Western Road. My choice of lunch venue was varied - and could have gone to McDonald's or KFC or Wimpy or Pizza Hut. Not that I ever did, mind. Or I could have gone to the seafront and spent money on a local business.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Will there be a discount for hamsters? YES, BUT ONLY IF THEY BRING THE KIDS.

Why would you play chess with a pigeon? IF YOU WAS RIGHT LONELY LIKE.

I’ve heard some daft analogies in my time but these ones take the [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION]. :D

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Will there be a discount for hamsters?

Why would you play chess with a pigeon?

I’ve heard some daft analogies in my time but these ones take the [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION].

The exact quote was; "There's no point playing chess with a Pigeon. Because no matter what you do the pigeon will just knock over the pieces, shit on the table and strut around like it's won."

124.png

Yep, sounds great-Volks should be one the THE great uk tourist attractions and with a bit of tlc and an extension it could be. Plus of course a zip wire and waterslide from the amex to the station.

Another big up for the Volks - the Council never seem sure what to do with it or whether it is an actual means of transport or just for pleasure trips. Perhaps there is scope for an extension at the Marina end but not sure how it could go much futher at the Pier end. Agree that as a minimum it could do with some TLC bearing in mind it is the World's oldest and longest lived electric railway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The exact quote was; "There's no point playing chess with a Pigeon. Because no matter what you do the pigeon will just knock over the pieces, shit on the table and strut around like it's won."

124.png

Yep a pigeon did tell me once that they had a problem with knocking the pieces over due to their body shape, this is why they stick to Drafts.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Why didn't they just put one of them revolving Doughnut restaurants on the chimney at Shoreham power station............Job done.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Spinaker Tower has a lot going for it over the i360 promises. It is in the heart of an historic part of Portsmouth with more interesting views than Regency Square and The Metropole/Grand. There is a massive outlet shopping village right next to it too. Somewhere halfway up to grab a coffee/tea while looking out over the harbour.

Brighton needs something new, that's for sure. Don't know if the i360 fits the bill.

The Spinaker looks good too.

Agreed. Location, location, location.

Portsmouth council got this one right. It's become a tourist magnet and regenerated the whole area - impressive experience with spectacular views, don't know if they ever got the external lift working. Hope it works out for Brighton but I just cannot see the i360 having the same impact unfortunately.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That aspect (lunch trade during off-season) isn't about bringing new money in, it's about maximising the take within the finite pot that is there.

I used to work in Western Road. My choice of lunch venue was varied - and could have gone to McDonald's or KFC or Wimpy or Pizza Hut. Not that I ever did, mind. Or I could have gone to the seafront and spent money on a local business.

Which is the same as saying it's about diverting what little money people have away from local businesses to the i360?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And equally just because YOU think it can attract 800,00 a year, it doesn't follow that it will.

It is irresponsible to commit the taxpayer to such a financial risk when NOBODY can prove the target can be risked ( and that there is no example of a similar attraction managing to do so ).

Fine. Give up on it then. Nothing can ever ever be certain of success. Dump it with every other good idea there's ever been to rejuvenate Brighton. Sake. Let's just let the whole lot rot - if you weren't a footbal fan I guarantee you'd have opposed the Amex as there was never any certainty it would attract enough people.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agreed. Location, location, location.

Portsmouth council got this one right. It's become a tourist magnet and regenerated the whole area - impressive experience with spectacular views, don't know if they ever got the external lift working. Hope it works out for Brighton but I just cannot see the i360 having the same impact unfortunately.

I disagree, that area could do with regeneration. Preston St and it's environs have hit hard times in the last few years, and something like this bringing in thousands of visitors a year could start to make a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here