Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Train Alert - Some Windy Weather.....

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
First light?? FFS! No good to me... Might have to drive in.
Sorry not having a go at you, these trains bloody frustrate me! I know it's safety related etc etc... But I hate them!!
Merry bloody humbugs!

theboybilly

The GatEx units can be split, though depends if the staff know how to - shouldnt take long to train them. Id rather the Gatwick Express trains just get withdrawn and replaced ASAP, they are too old !!

Indeed Class 442s can be split, though being older stock the procedure is a little more labour intensive as Platform staff have to be trained to work outside the train. You also need two Drivers to perform the brake test as Conductors or On-board staff no longer have the competency. There is also a problem that can occur in that there may be a reason to route a train into another platform, say at Haywards Heath, and the pipes which need to be disconnected are then on the wrong side (ie. away from the platform) In the 'through' platforms at Haywards Heath this would involve 'blocking' the other line while the work was carried out. This would be almost certainly pooh-poohed by Network Rail and would go part way to explaining why this class of train does not split or join en-route.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looking on SR website and departures from Shoreham all trains seem either severely delayed or cancelled.

Tempted fate I think... Now sat at Hayward's Heath for 15mins with no announcements

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tempted fate I think... Now sat at Hayward's Heath for 15mins with no announcements

think my mind is made up now for tomorrow, WFH

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry not having a go at you, these trains bloody frustrate me! I know it's safety related etc etc... But I hate them!!
Merry bloody humbugs!

Well we all sort of hate them when they up-furck for trivial reasons under normal operating conditions. Which they do WAY too often. But these are not normal operating conditions.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Supposed to be going into work in London, might have to WFH
I don't work in a office so forgive me if my question is silly! but is it not better to work from home? I think if it were me i would prefer to work from home everyday.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Should have just left Haywards Heath - section to Ore has been cancelled.

Merry bloody humbugs!

Safest time to check it really so you dont run the risk of sending a train into a tree.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
think my mind is made up now for tomorrow, WFH

Back on the move. I'd not travel unless necessary really. Seem to be getting trains running just very late. A Brighton service just went past

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't work in a office so forgive me if my question is silly! but is it not better to work from home? I think if it were me i would prefer to work from home everyday.

I would not do it all the time as actually it can get very lonely being isolated with no-one to talk to. I tend to WFH one day a week these days, I have found recently as you get older the commuting makes me far more tired.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Great time to announce the fare rises.

After a shockingly bad years performance from Southern, it is a shame the government dont have the balls to prevent any fare rises.

http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...-express-tickets-in-its-january-fares-review/

Why would the government prevent them when its them who are ordering the train companies to put the prices up to get passengers to pay for the railway. Still, fair play to Southern for not implementing their own 2% price rise, though that would get completely missed.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Why would the government prevent them when its them who are ordering the train companies to put the prices up to get passengers to pay for the railway. Still, fair play to Southern for not implementing their own 2% price rise, though that would get completely missed.

I did not realise the government ordered them to put fares up.

Southern could not really have justified the 2% extra. Could you imagine the backlash given how poor over the past 12 months services had been.

It is just frustrating to keep seeing fares rise, when the service is constantly medicore to dire.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
View attachment 49717

Here is the result of a train hitting a tree in South London this evening at 50mph, which is slower than what it should have been travelling at.

Had it been doing faster, it would be been incredibly serious. Driver is incredibly lucky.....and probably also in need of new pants.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
News just said southern won't run trains until at least 7am but their website or nat rail doesn't back this up yet .

Sounds like midnight / 1 am is the strongest winds .

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
News just said southern won't run trains until at least 7am but their website or nat rail doesn't back this up yet .

Sounds like midnight / 1 am is the strongest winds .

Safety first mate. Last time of the storm a month or so ago, first train was not till 1230pm so work gave me they day off. I doubt we will see any trains until 9-10am.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Driver of my 07:06 SCC from Preston Park to Bedford got his retaliation in earlydoors this morning. Went flying through Preston Park about 50mph when he realised a bit too late he really should have stopped. Big braking thing with front half of the train ending up off the front of the platform, ten minute wait, then he sheepishly reversed back to where he should have stopped in the first place. Fair play though, made most of the time up en route while still remembering to stop everywhere else he was supposed to stop :thumbsup:

He'd have had to have admitted his mistake to his bosses, and got authorisation from above to reverse back into the station.

Otherwise the train would not have been insured, and in the worst cases, court and gaol if life is lost.

So I guess it was Christmas good will from the guy who made the call at FCC HQ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here