Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just because the thread title has changed it doesn't mean you HAVE to name-call. I accept that it would be difficult for you and Pretty Pink Fairy to stop after all this time so carry on if it makes you happy.

(By the way, I think the Brexit definition of democracy is wrong but in any case I won't listen to lectures on democracy from anyone who contentedly goes along with Britain's longstanding and reality-warping FPP voting system. This might not apply to you but I suspect it applies to a whole lot of Brexiteers on here.)

I am sorry to hear you're confused. What about?

You said you don't agree with a first past the post system,yet Brexit was not and you're still unhappy with the result,which if it was a first past the post referendum would have given Leave a larger margin of victory.....or have i totally misunderstood your earlier post.

Maybe i have got i wrong,that is more than possible.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm here, but not on this thread anymore.

I feel there's little point in contributing to the thread at the moment - the same old arguments are being regurgitated.

The deed is done and, as I think I have mentioned previously, we just need to get on with it. I still believe it was the wrong decision and that the ramifications of that decision will be long and drawn out. In addition, we haven't even started the process of leaving the EU yet, so events at present bear little relation to what will, or will not happen, as we leave the EU.

The important thing now is to try a build a strong economy and better society in the situation we now find ourselves.

Delighted to be referred to as a 'Big-Gun'.

Fair response and i knew you were about,just not here,as for the big gun remark,you were early doors.....

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Perhaps our trade will tend to grow back to it's historical percentages when we are free to trade with who we wish!Don't you feel other countries might welcome trading with us to replace products from Opel,Mercedes,BMW,etc

Sorry mate, we can't go back to how things were before; history, time and progress mean you can't turn back the clock. Britain's past glories were on the back of its colonial empire, but you'll find things are a bit different now.

Its like hoping for Bolton Wanderers to return to their past levels of success: possible, but pretty unlikely.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes inflation has been positive but thats because the rate of inflation has been increasing, if you think that is positive for the country then fine, but it does tend to make be poorer which I see a negative

Indeed, you can't lose a quarter of your currencies value against the world currency without consequences, in some industries the price hike is instant, in others it takes time to come through the system. Its higher prices or lower corporate profits. Prices in supermarkets for example are now on rise, food packaging is shrinking and offers are less regular

When food and fuel goes up the poor suffer most, many benefits for example will fall behind inflation (except the gifted pensioners). Meanwhile, for the well off it will just be the Cote D'Azur instead of the Caribbean this summer, and the blow of higher prices will be offset by rising foreign assets.

Its difficult to tell whether May really wants address the equality that gap, its really unchartered territory for Tories, it will take more than sending the Poles home

larus

Indeed, you can't lose a quarter of your currencies value against the world currency

Indeed we can't afford to, so it's a good job we haven't. I assume that maths is not your strong point.

Over the last 12 months GBP v USD has gone from a start position of 1.42 to 1.20. So a drop of 22 cents, so approx 15%. But, if I wanted to use your match logic, I could say that's about 5%, after all, what's 10% amongst friends when we're trying to warp the truth eh!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How can you possibly know to what extent any increased costs might effect that business, its about by how much these increased costs might effect their sales and profit margins, might they absorb it, might their suppliers absorb it or might the recipient business source new cheaper imports from elsewhere, we cannot possibly know the tipping point of when any benefit to our exporters from a weaker pound might then be offset by a disadvantaged importer, well not from anyone on here anyway.

Simply there is never a good time for a long term collapse of the pound or double digit inflation, but the fundamentals and current data do not suggest either, so arguing the toss on some undetermined future 3-5% longer term inflation rate or an unlikley continued weakening of sterling is just bluster.

The current data remains very good especially with the backdrop of Brexit, something Remainers couldnt have ever envisaged, so let it roll see how we go, I am optimistic you maybe not, but to try and invalidate the current data by implying you know the future inflation level and that this will be at a level to be to the detriment of our econmy is some claim.

Quite, most central Banks in the major economies have a target of 2.00% inflation so if ours rises slightly and nears this level .. no need to panic.

In other news

British bosses are more upbeat about business prospects this year than almost every other major advanced economy

British bosses are more upbeat about their business prospects this year than almost every other major advanced economy, as companies “keep calm and carry on”, despite domestic and global uncertainty.

As the World Economic Forum begins in Davos, Switzerland, 89pc of UK chief executives surveyed by PwC said they were confident about the business outlook over the next 12 months.

This is the largest share since 2013, and up from 85pc in 2016.

The figure compares with a 2017 global average of 85pc and is higher than five other G7 advanced economies including the US, Germany and Japan, where 88pc, 77pc and 66pc of chief executives said they were confident about the next 12 months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...t-business-prospects-year-almost-every-major/

Not sure they know what they are talking about though as many esteemed soothsayers on this thread have assured us that the Triggering of Article 50 is the next doomsday date that will bring on the much predicted economic armageddon. Why this should be the case has never been explained but I assume if (when) this fails to materialise it's the date we leave.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Indeed we can't afford to, so it's a good job we haven't. I assume that maths is not your strong point.

Over the last 12 months GBP v USD has gone from a start position of 1.42 to 1.20. So a drop of 22 cents, so approx 15%. But, if I wanted to use your match logic, I could say that's about 5%, after all, what's 10% amongst friends when we're trying to warp the truth eh!

He doesn't have any strong point.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Theresa May to set out 12-point plan for Brexit as she vows a clean break that does not leave the UK 'half-in, half-out'

Theresa May will set out a 12-point plan for Brexit as she vows that the UK will not have “partial” membership of the EU “that leaves us half-in, half-out”.

Mrs May will make her most significant speech since becoming Prime Minister in July last year and confirm that Britain will leave the single market and customs union after Brexit.

In remarks that will delight Conservative Eurosceptics, Mrs May will pledge that Britain outside the European Union will be a “great, global trading nation” that is “respected around the world and strong, confident and united at home”.

The Prime Minister will make regaining control of Britain’s borders one of the central themes of her Brexit strategy and will also make clear that the rights of UK expats will be protected.

She will make clear for the first time that Britain will not seek a watered down version of Brexit, something that Remain campaigners are still pushing for.

“We seek a new and equal partnership – between an independent, self-governing, Global Britain and our friends and allies in the EU,” the Prime Minister will say in the speech in Lancaster House in London.

“Not partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

“The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union. My job is to get the right deal for Britain as we do.”

The 12 objectives are understood to include gaining control of Britain’s borders, taking the UK out of the jurisdiction of the European courts, preserving the Union, maintaining workers’ rights and signing major free trade deals.

“And as we negotiate that partnership, we will be driven by some simple principles: we will provide as much certainty and clarity as we can at every stage,” Mrs May will add. “And we will take this opportunity to make Britain stronger, to make Britain fairer, and to build a more Global Britain too.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-point-plan-brexit-vows-clean-break-does-not/

Seems very positive, I'm sure we all wish her and the Government well in delivering/achieving a good deal :salute:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My god that Gove Trump thumbs up photo looks ****ing desperate. Most of the world are keeping the guy at arm's length and suspicious of his random proclamations and we're brown-nosing him. Is this what it's come to?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Well done for going for 12 months when the referendum was in June.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Theresa May to set out 12-point plan for Brexit as she vows a clean break that does not leave the UK 'half-in, half-out'

Theresa May will set out a 12-point plan for Brexit as she vows that the UK will not have “partial” membership of the EU “that leaves us half-in, half-out”.

Mrs May will make her most significant speech since becoming Prime Minister in July last year and confirm that Britain will leave the single market and customs union after Brexit.

In remarks that will delight Conservative Eurosceptics, Mrs May will pledge that Britain outside the European Union will be a “great, global trading nation” that is “respected around the world and strong, confident and united at home”.

The Prime Minister will make regaining control of Britain’s borders one of the central themes of her Brexit strategy and will also make clear that the rights of UK expats will be protected.

She will make clear for the first time that Britain will not seek a watered down version of Brexit, something that Remain campaigners are still pushing for.

“We seek a new and equal partnership – between an independent, self-governing, Global Britain and our friends and allies in the EU,” the Prime Minister will say in the speech in Lancaster House in London.

“Not partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

“The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union. My job is to get the right deal for Britain as we do.”

The 12 objectives are understood to include gaining control of Britain’s borders, taking the UK out of the jurisdiction of the European courts, preserving the Union, maintaining workers’ rights and signing major free trade deals.

“And as we negotiate that partnership, we will be driven by some simple principles: we will provide as much certainty and clarity as we can at every stage,” Mrs May will add. “And we will take this opportunity to make Britain stronger, to make Britain fairer, and to build a more Global Britain too.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-point-plan-brexit-vows-clean-break-does-not/

Seems very positive, I'm sure we all wish her and the Government well in delivering/achieving a good deal :salute:

She seems to have listened to what the majority want. No half in/half out, I like it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well done for going for 12 months when the referendum was in June.

He's is splitting hairs trying to pick the point that strengthens his argument, GBP / USD rate has been in the 1.50 - 1.55 for much of the past decade, and apart from a brief period in 1985 sterling is at in lowest point for century against the USD.

Inflation is coming no matter how much the Brexiteers try and deny it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-3864496

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
First though we need to schedule the next referendum/ General Election, some people have been campaigning for that, but are being shouted down as undemocratic.

After an election you can hold the winning party to account at the next election if they fail to deliver manifesto pledges. In this case the people that made the promises have headed for the hills or more precisely a photo-op at Trump Towers.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
My god that Gove Trump thumbs up photo looks ****ing desperate. Most of the world are keeping the guy at arm's length and suspicious of his random proclamations and we're brown-nosing him. Is this what it's come to?

Yes.
And celebrating London shops being packed with tourists taking advantage of the pound's low value.
Who said bargain basement Britain?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes.
And celebrating London shops being packed with tourists taking advantage of the pound's low value.
Who said bargain basement Britain?

It might not be so bad if The Times sent someone else but Gove easily has the most weird and punchable face in politics. This really doesn't help.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cameron and Obama were in power, Farage was not, yet you still drag him in when the post was about two men in charge of countries in the top six.
Desperate.

Obama was a fixed term and not permitted to stand for a 3rd term, but why let a little detail like that get in the way

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Get your Euro's early today if you need any, our suicide note to be revealed at 11.45.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

One vacuous narcissist talking to another. Seeing Gove on TV yesterday and reading any comments about it, most people seem to agree that it wasn't exactly a searching interview.

Trump doesn't like challenging questions...... so Gove didn't ask him any.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here