Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Taylor R.I.P.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sad news. A real football man, and one that seemed to be a genuinely good bloke.

We may not have liked what he did with the England team, but what he did at club management for Villa, and in particular for Watford was remarkable.

RIP Graham, of the good guys.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Shades of Ramsey substituting Charlton for Colin Bell in 1970 v West Germany - although I think we were winning that one at the time.

Not really. We were chasing the game v Sweden at 2-1 down, so taking off our most lethal striker in that situation was just baffling.

With the Charlton substitution we were 2-0 up and cruising - until Ramsey made that substitution. Taking off Charlton immediately freed up Beckenbaur who's been tasked woth shackling him, and disaster duely ensued. But I take your point - neither were all that clever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wonder if the Sun will include the turnip photo in their obituary tomorrow?

I felt genuinely rather sad to hear this news today. Always came across as an absolutely lovely guy, with a heart of gold, an absolute passion for what he did, and a great sense of humour.
This. Dreadful national manager, no getting away from that. But what he did for Lincoln, Watford and one season at Villa proved what a capable football manager he really was.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Yes we do.
We'd have stumbled through the group, and then gone out on penalties to the first half-decent team we played. Same as always.

Maybe. Bulgaria and Sweden were semi finalists in that particular world cup. Gazza with a Baggio special in the semi's would have been the likely outcome. 15 metres over the bar, followed by a tear-fest:cry:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Really sad tonight and shocked. A lovely lovely man and one of the greats in football management for his achievements. RIP graham, will be missed enormously and fondly remembered by hundreds of thousands.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]Jkq4Agl3yo8[/yt]

This is a really great watch. If only for Phil Neal basically repeating back to GT everything he says :lolol:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
There are some wonderful pieces on Twitter showing various letters Taylor wrote to fans. A thoroughly decent man.

What he did at Watford was quite remarkable - bringing a small club all the way up to second in the top flight on a modest budget.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I see all football fans throughout the land are being instructed to applaud for a minute in 'tribute' to Graham Taylor this weekend.
I've no doubt he was a decent bloke, but there is something so horribly North Korean aboout the Authorities imposing this kind of thing. What's next - synchronised weeping?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I see all football fans throughout the land are being instructed to applaud for a minute in 'tribute' to Graham Taylor this weekend.
I've no doubt he was a decent bloke, but there is something so horribly North Korean aboout the Authorities imposing this kind of thing. What's next - synchronised weeping?

No.Respect.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Oh FFS

I see the EFL has imposed a minutes applause on all 3 divisions, whereas the PL have (sensibly) just left it up to the individual clubs. Outside of the teams he managed, I simply cannot see the POINT of the fans of every other club in the League having to applaud. I liked him, he was a decent man, but he had absolutely nothing to do with BHAFC. I think if I was at Deepdale tomorrow, I'd ignore this mawkish nonsense.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Oh FFS

I see the EFL has imposed a minutes applause on all 3 divisions, whereas the PL have (sensibly) just left it up to the individual clubs. Outside of the teams he managed, I simply cannot see the POINT of the fans of every other club in the League having to applaud. I liked him, he was a decent man, but he had absolutely nothing to do with BHAFC. I think if I was at Deepdale tomorrow, I'd ignore this mawkish nonsense.

At Wolves v Villa tomorrow there will be a minutes applause for Taylor. This is absolutely the right thing to do. He managed both clubs. He is an ex England manager and seems to be liked by everyone. If ever there should be an ad hoc silence or applause it is at this game.If it was JUST at this game that would give it much more meaning.

So, What about Accrington Stanley v Cheltenham or Preston v Albion? No. Leave it where it matters. Then it might mean something again rather than something we begrudgingly do. Taylor becomes just another 'who are we clapping for? Who fancies a pint? Do I not like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At Wolves v Villa tomorrow there will be a minutes applause for Taylor. This is absolutely the right thing to do. He managed both clubs. He is an ex England manager and seems to be liked by everyone. If ever there should be an ad hoc silence or applause it is at this game.If it was JUST at this game that would give it much more meaning.

So, What about Accrington Stanley v Cheltenham or Preston v Albion? No. Leave it where it matters. Then it might mean something again rather than something we begrudgingly do. Taylor becomes just another 'who are we clapping for? Who fancies a pint? Do I not like that.

Couldn't agree more.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Wonder if the Sun will include the turnip photo in their obituary tomorrow?

I felt genuinely rather sad to hear this news today. Always came across as an absolutely lovely guy, with a heart of gold, an absolute passion for what he did, and a great sense of humour.

Felt the same way.

[tweet]819889402235199491[/tweet]

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thanks for that - wonderful stuff.

20170201_150451.jpg
Without being ghoulish, went to do a bit of shopping this afternoon, past the One Bell (football pub), thought this was quite poignant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here