Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez has paid tribute to Chris Hughton after Newcastle United retook Brighton

el punal

Rafa has always seemed fairly humble and classy. I obviously want us to finish above Newcastle (still very doubtful) but not getting into a Southampton style rivalry. Which is a good thing. Just concentrating on those 3rd & below but most importantly... us..

Two things that stand out in my memory about Rafa. One, his dignity and sorrow when he attended the Hillsborough Tragedy memorial service at Anfield a couple of years ago. Two, his class and composure when he was vilified by Chelsea's disgraceful fans when he was appointed manager at Stamford Bridge - still was in charge when they won the Europa Cup in 2013.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thinking about it, Hughton & the Albion are making Rafa's job a little easier.

It must be hard trying to motivate a team of 'stars' who feel they are only on loan to the Championship.
Esp when at halfway they are already 9 points and +27 ahead of their nearest rival, a team of shitpuffins like Reading.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

It must be hard trying to motivate a team of 'stars' who feel they are only on loan to the Championship.
Esp when at halfway they are already 9 points and +27 ahead of their nearest rival, a team of shitpuffins like Reading.

'a team of shitpuffins'
That's a new on me, always rely on the NSCictionary :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'a team of shitpuffins'
That's a new on me, always rely on the NSCictionary :thumbsup:
I wish it were, but it's not my own work, and has been around NSC for a little while.
I can safely say my reaction then was the same was yours now.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wish it were, but it's not my own work, and has been around NSC for a little while.
I can safely say my reaction then was the same was yours now.

That is quality though. "Reading - The Tinpot Shitpuffins". It has a ring to it!

"Look at those tinpot shitpuffins celebrating 7th place" etc.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Rafa Benitez has paid tribute to Chris Hughton after Newcastle United retook Brighton and Hove Albion in the Championship

Brighton had beaten Blackburn Rovers 3-2 the night before to briefly lead the Championship. Hughton, the last man to guide Newcastle to promotion, spoke warmly about Benitez after the game at Ewood Park. And United manager Benitez feels Brighton's results speak for themselves under Hughton, a popular figure on Tyneside. "He's a great manager and he has a very good team," said Benitez. "They are doing really well. It's not easy to win in any competition, but (especially) the Championship. Still they are winning. That (tells) me how good he is and how good the team is." Asked about staying above Brighton, Benitez added: "We try, obviously, but Brighton are doing well.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport...-newcastle-retake-championship-lead-1-8290623

Excellent. Love you Rafa!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm constantly looking at third. Newcastle United are of more interest if they beat teams behind us. I see them as a given for promotion.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I warmed to Benitez when I saw that bovine buffoon Allardyce casually telling a press conference that he "didn't like the guy" many years ago.

Instantly I sensed there must be something good about Rafa and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary since then. Remember when we thought he might be our new manager?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Two things that stand out in my memory about Rafa. One, his dignity and sorrow when he attended the Hillsborough Tragedy memorial service at Anfield a couple of years ago. Two, his class and composure when he was vilified by Chelsea's disgraceful fans when he was appointed manager at Stamford Bridge - still was in charge when they won the Europa Cup in 2013.

Also I believe that when he left Liverpool he gave a significant part of his pay off to the jft96 fund and families

He could have walked away from Newcastle in the summer and got a job in any of Europe's top leagues. He stayed and put his reputation on the line

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
That is quality though. "Reading - The Tinpot Shitpuffins". It has a ring to it!

"Look at those tinpot shitpuffins celebrating 7th place" etc.

Quality! Permission to use this at every possible opportunity, especially tonight whilst in the company of a Reading / Spurs fan? A plastic tinpot shitpuffin methinks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Shitpuffins! That is genius sir. I doff my cap in your general direction.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Also I believe that when he left Liverpool he gave a significant part of his pay off to the jft96 fund and families

He could have walked away from Newcastle in the summer and got a job in any of Europe's top leagues. He stayed and put his reputation on the line

A guy at work is a Napoli fan and seemly Benitez was being chased to be their manager and instead he chose to stay in the U.K. Class manager and class person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here