Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unfortunately I have no knowledge on the refusing to play count. I'd be surprised, but that's based on what I know of Dunk rather than anything else.
Fair enough, I'd be surprised if it's true as well. The club have done a lot for Lewis, he's well respected by the fans and his team mates.

If it is true that he withdrew from the Southend game, it makes it MUCH easier for the fans to say goodbye to a player under those circumstances.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I know this is totally wrong. I'll take a ban if it's right I'm that confident. I actually saw Dunk at the hospital the other day visiting someone so I thought that may have been the reason he wasn't in the squad Tuesday.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Once we gave into Bridcutt and to some extent Buckley, other players around at the time know how the club reacts to such tactics.

Is there a feasible alternative?

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Is this a FF yet?

Unsubstantiated Forum Fact No. 628

I possibly think you may not have put enough numbers in there and that is a Fact, there should be at least 6 figures. Only time will tell if [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION]'s post, banking on it by all accounts.
Issue is if true, a sideways move to Fulham for more money and it won't go down well with the fans. As a move to the Premiership would be seen as progression to further his career and no one will bat an eyelid. Its a fickle old world in football. Wanting the Albion to go forward then they should be pulling out the stops to keep Dunk. imo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] I can't see this myself.

Local boy, who through his Father and even people I know (who know him) have highlighted how much he loves Brighton and the club.

It would be madness on his part to adopt this approach, though he may have been badly advised of course. We'll see tomorrow, if true it would be a sad way for him to finish with us.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why would he take such a ridiculous stance, other than for a bit of a pay rise, in order to force a transfer from one Championship club to another? If - and IF - he is refusing to play, it's far more likely that some no-mark Premier League club like Bournemouth has come calling.

I don't believe Dunk Fulham are offering Dunk three times the wages we are paying him. Newcastle might yes, but not Fulham.

They may well offer him more but three times as much simply doesn't ring true.

We may not pay the highest wages in the league but I doubt if any Championship club will be paying three times as much. Whatever you read in the press or on NSC.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was told last week by someone who is most definately,
'ITK' with Dunk, that he has asked to leave. Whether the club has done anything with his contract or is just sitting on it until a better offer comes in, I don't know.

So this does sound quite plausible

No l'm sorry, but l think that's rubbish.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll never really understand why there's such an expectation towards loyalty in football over any other place of employment, at least where it comes to trying to guess a player's mentality anyway.

It probably goes without saying that if I were offered the chance to play for the Albion I'd do it regardless of wage, but as a fan who can only dream of that happening, my perspective is somewhat screwy.

Outside of that small, highly unlikely, scenario, I've been working for the same company for a decade and can honestly say that if someone offered to triple my wages (or whatever the rumour for Dunk is) I wouldn't hesitate to take it, nor would I feel like I've betrayed the company, they've paid me for 10 years and I've done the job asked. I wouldn't withhold my labour to force the move, but then I wouldn't need to.

Even when you look at the most famous one-club men (Terry, Giggs etc) of the modern game, they've tended to be one of (if not the) highest paid players in the squad. Steven Gerrard was the same, until his club decided that he was surplus to requirements regardless of his loyalty so it can even be a two-way street from time to time.

Emotion has a part in the game, (as it should) and I wish it counted for more, but the reality is that the money will always talk.

I believe people who refuse to do what they are paid for are unprofessional, never mind the loyalty card....... That is how I feel about Bridcutt anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I believe people who refuse to do what they are paid for are unprofessional, never mind the loyalty card....... That is how I feel about Bridcutt anyway.
That I fully agree with, I was more venting at the use of the loyalty argument when most people would themselves move on if better was offered.

I do very much hope it isn't true.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't believe this is true, unless the team in question is not Fulham, but a PL team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't believe Dunk Fulham are offering Dunk three times the wages we are paying him. Newcastle might yes, but not Fulham.

They may well offer him more but three times as much simply doesn't ring true.

We may not pay the highest wages in the league but I doubt if any Championship club will be paying three times as much. Whatever you read in the press or on NSC.

Its rumoured that FFC are offering him 20k per week. Its a very generous offer, but definitely not unfeasible.
When did Dunk sign his current deal? Last summer he wasn't even first choice - £7k a week in those circumstances entirely plausible.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
To be fair to Lewis, when I watched him play for us against Nottingham Forest, he did not play like a player who was trying to get away. He was one of the most committed players on the pitch and the interest from Fulham was already known about. That is the only thing I can judge him on. If he stays or he goes when he played for us he was committed, so no hard feelings from me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Indeed. To me it's the ultimate smack in the face from a player to a fan, I hate to say it but we pay some of their wages (cliche) and the fact players can refuse to play and still pick up a wage, is beyond a joke. I'm going to refuse to work and see if I still get paid :thumbsup:

That being said this is not true so irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here