Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on Kuala Lumpur?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just found out that, after a few days in Kuala Lumpur, she's moved on already and is now in Kathmandu. It may well be that the best advice you can get from her will be confined to stuff like "Best coffee shop at the airport".

Ah. It's fate. I've found you some vacancies in Kathmandu [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION]. I'm not sure we have any Seagulls Over The Himalayas on here?

http://www.tbskathmandu.org/about-the-british-school/working-at-tbs/vacancies/

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Matt, what is going to happen to the football team you set up in Nairobi ?

He didnt set it up as such it was a team set up by a fellow teacher (who has been there a few years) in one of the most derived areas of Nairobi.

So it will carry on all thanks to REMF :)

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Worked with Malaysians (Chinese Han mostly) in the Middle East and visited KL.

Go for it. Great place.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
KL's not a bad city. Not the most interesting place in the world but it has its benefits. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a very eastern city. It's far more westernised than other SE Asian capitals (Singapore excepted). It's not overtly conservative either. Some of the women wear a head scarf but it's hardly Riyadh.

For me, the main attraction of living there would be the food (some of the best in Asia) and the proximity to other destinations. KL is a transport hub with cheap connections to cities in Asia and worldwide.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Matt, what is going to happen to the football team you set up in Nairobi ?

Thanks to the wonderful support of REMF the football team will be able to continue running for several years, they have just finished second in the league and therefore promoted to the next tier. My good friend here (Palace fan) is settled for the long term and will continue to help run the team and finances. I may still be here myself next year though, who knows!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Alice Smith British International school. Been around since the 1940s and has a superb reputation.

That's where I went from 1975-1978!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I was there for 14 years! You looking at the primary or secondary campus? If you have any questions about the school I can definitely help you there.

Hi, it will be at the secondary campus which I believe is a little further out of town? Thank you so much for your advice so far, it really is appreciated. I hear very good things about the school at it just received top grades in the recent OFSTED inspection.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Hi, it will be at the secondary campus which I believe is a little further out of town? Thank you so much for your advice so far, it really is appreciated. I hear very good things about the school at it just received top grades in the recent OFSTED inspection.

Yes it's in a suburb called Seri Kembangan, about 12-15km South of the city centre. It's a great campus, the school is quite rounded compared to a few of the other international ones and puts a lot of emphasis on sport, and not just academics. The teachers were all pretty nice people when I was there. I still keep in touch with quite a few although last time I visited (maybe a year ago) there were a lot of new faces. Also my name is on a plaque on the wall in the main hall so I can't have too much bad to say about the place!

Anyway what are you teaching? Maybe I can work out who you'd be replacing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Worked for a short while in Penang years ago which whilst it is nowhere near KL is a great place if somewhat slower paced.
I liked KL. It is conservative but that has an appeal and it has a significant ex-pat community which should resolve any possible issues about a social life. If you are not overly lary or expecting to be out on the lash every night you should find it easy enough. Behaviour that fails to allow for ethnic and religious difference is not well accepted but why should it be? Common sense applies. I would say go for it for 2 years as long as it fits your projected career path. Having our eyes opened to other cultures is good for all of us.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Yes it's in a suburb called Seri Kembangan, about 12-15km South of the city centre. It's a great campus, the school is quite rounded compared to a few of the other international ones and puts a lot of emphasis on sport, and not just academics. The teachers were all pretty nice people when I was there. I still keep in touch with quite a few although last time I visited (maybe a year ago) there were a lot of new faces. Also my name is on a plaque on the wall in the main hall so I can't have too much bad to say about the place!

Anyway what are you teaching? Maybe I can work out who you'd be replacing.

Sociology. I should point out that I am thinking of applying for the job, I have not got it by any means, interviews are not until the new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here