Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I dropped my iPhone 6 in a bar in New York last week. It was in a case but landed perfectly flat and face-down. I thought it had survived until I got outside and then saw it was cracked all the way down.

Using the Apple Store app on my phone I made an appointment at the Apple Store at Grand Central Station for 7:20am the next morning and well before 9am I had the phone back as good as new, with a whole new display unit on it.

I know I trumpet Apple goods and, particularly, the service but if that had been a Samsung Galaxy S8 Superfly (or whatever they are up to now) how would this have worked out for me? Would I have had to wait until I came home and then taken it to Carphone Warehouse or similar who would then send it away for a week or two?

Apple after care is great, I've had to use it twice, first time my iPhone 5 on off button was not working so they swapped the phone for me there and then, phone was less than a year old. Second time one of my work iPads had stopped working, screen would just show coloured lines every time it was turned on. No visible sign of damage to the screen or the casing of the iPad and it was always kept in a case. They swapped that out straight away as well.

The reason I use the Spigen case isn't for fear of it being broken more the inconvenience of having to go to an Apple store if it was damaged. The nearest one to me is Brighton which is a 45 mins away on a clear day, working full time means I'd have to go at the weekend and battle the joys of Churchill Square parking. I'd like to minimise that risk as much as possible.

As for your comment about a Samsung, I had the S4 inbetween the iPhone 5 and 6plus, the screen stopped working within two weeks of it arriving, I had to send it away for repair and have a loan phone that could barely make phone calls for 2 weeks. Was not impressed and vowed at that point to return to Apple as soon as I could at the end of the contract.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Does this aftercare at the Apple store apply even if the equipment was purchased elsewhere? Am thinking of getting an ipad and this would be helpful to know. Thanks.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm replacing my iphone 4 which is now 4 years old and starting to freeze and glitch and some apps don't work. So it's time to buy the iphone 6 or 6 plus. I know I want 64gb because with 16gb I fill it quickly with music etc. Also with the new hi res video I'll be taking a lot of videos and pics. But the question is iphone 6 or 6 plus??
I was wondering if anyone that bought the 6plus regretted it because of its size? I am torn because although the 6plus might cause problems with its size, I travel a lot and light, rather than buying a phone and tablet/iPad, I was thinking the 6plus is half way house. I stream a lot of movies and I'd be ok watching on the 6plus but the 6 is just that tiny bit small for netflicks etc. I know some want a larger screen than 5.5 to watch films but when I am in a hotel room with the device close to me, I think it would be ok.
I do take my phone everywhere with me, and don't fancy the 6plus sticking out of my pocket. I spent an hour in the apple store and still can't decide.
Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

Very simple.

Buy the 6+. If you are not happy then return it to the store within 14 days and get a standard 6. Apple gives 14 day money back guarantees on all hardware sold as long as it's not damaged.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Does this aftercare at the Apple store apply even if the equipment was purchased elsewhere? Am thinking of getting an ipad and this would be helpful to know. Thanks.

Yes, in the case of the iPad it was purchased from Misco. The iPhone 5 i got direct from Apple.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So most have the 6 I gather. It's probably the phone I'll go for. But I can just see it the next time I'm in the apple store and I see the plus, I'll just think f@ck it! Gimmie one of those. It really is the size though. I've never used my 4 to watch movies or to take video on, but the plus is ideal for this being a phablet. I do love the camera on the plus too. But it's just the size. Will I regret getting such a large phone when trying to pay for a pie and a pint and having the thing sticking out of my jeans? For all the things I love about the size of the plus, I just don't want to find it annoying sometimes. Head says 6, heart says plus! Turmoil!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So most have the 6 I gather. It's probably the phone I'll go for. But I can just see it the next time I'm in the apple store and I see the plus, I'll just think f@ck it! Gimmie one of those. It really is the size though. I've never used my 4 to watch movies or to take video on, but the plus is ideal for this being a phablet. I do love the camera on the plus too. But it's just the size. Will I regret getting such a large phone when trying to pay for a pie and a pint and having the thing sticking out of my jeans? For all the things I love about the size of the plus, I just don't want to find it annoying sometimes. Head says 6, heart says plus! Turmoil!!!

The incremental size difference is not that great. I have a 4S, a 5 and a 6 here and if you stack them up, the size difference from one to the other is not that great at all. Even the 4S -> 6 isn't that big, really.

I picked up a 6S again in an Apple Store recently and it didn't feel big now I've been using a 6 for a while. If that's what you want then go for it. Remember, of course, that if you buy from the Apple Store and change your mind, you can take it back within two weeks for a no-quibble refund although, in your case, I suspect it would be an exchange for a 6.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The incremental size difference is not that great. I have a 4S, a 5 and a 6 here and if you stack them up, the size difference from one to the other is not that great at all. Even the 4S -> 6 isn't that big, really.

I picked up a 6S again in an Apple Store recently and it didn't feel big now I've been using a 6 for a while. If that's what you want then go for it. Remember, of course, that if you buy from the Apple Store and change your mind, you can take it back within two weeks for a no-quibble refund although, in your case, I suspect it would be an exchange for a 6.

Is that from any apple store? I am in the USA this week and think I'll buy it from here and bring it home. I suppose trying to swap that in Churchill square would be a bit cheeky wouldn't it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is that from any apple store? I am in the USA this week and think I'll buy it from here and bring it home. I suppose trying to swap that in Churchill square would be a bit cheeky wouldn't it?

That might be pushing it but I don't actually know. The obvious issue is the price differential.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
That might be pushing it but I don't actually know. The obvious issue is the price differential.

Yes I thought so. I'm in Houston where you only pay 4% sales tax. Either way it's still I decision to make even if I wait til I get home. I haven't heard from anyone that got a 6plus that didn't love it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So, I went for the iPhone 6 Plus in the end after much deliberating and hanging around the Apple Store for probably three hours. Testing each phone in each pocket, switching over trying applications same time comparing speed, and screen etc. and I must say I couldn't be happier, it's a fantastic phone screen is incredible the camera and the slow Mo video are to die for I'm also very pleased I went for a 64 GB.The phone is lightning fast, it has a great look and feel and it just ooses class I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'm using the dictaphone feature to type this. Unreal!! the 6 plus is not too big in my view, once you start using it for a few days you get used to it quite quickly. Then you pick up a 6 and it's seems now too small. Although it's also a fantastic phone. Apple really have made some superb phones here.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Dear Apple Watch buyers - good luck getting your phone battery to last when it's connected to the watch via Bluetooth all day.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Dear Apple Watch buyers - good luck getting your phone battery to last when it's connected to the watch via Bluetooth all day.

Use my phone everyday with the bt on all day connected to a fitness band with no issue. Can't see the apple watch being any different

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here