Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you hate Palace?

Do you hate Palace?

• Yes, I HATE them. It's in my BHA DNA and nothing will change that.

Votes: 183 58.3%
  • Yeah, I hate them. My mates do, and so do I although I'm not sure why

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • About as much as any other team we're playing on any given day

Votes: 66 21.0%
  • No, it's all nonsense. I thought we'd moved on from this outdated football idiocy.

Votes: 50 15.9%
  • No, I LOVE them. They're my second team who I like to watch if I can't watch the mighty Albion.

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm fairly indifferent to them generally until it comes to the derby games, then it ramps up. To be honest, it's more Palace fans that I don't like rather than the club on account of them all being berks.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
would you mind saying how old you are ? The guy you're slagging off has made valid points that only a senior supporter would know.

I'm 51, and he hasn't made any valid points other than to suggest if we keep quiet it will go away due to the fact it isn't real ?---- utter nonsense he hasn't made any contribution other than the fact it scares him.
Have you visited kids football by chance- I did for under 7--under 16 every weekend up and down the country adults falling out in the worst possible way all about a silly game- football has a way of affecting people causing them to act completely differently to their normal behaviour. It is known people will behave outrageously at derby games. Ive calmed down a lot and some things that used to upset-no longer do--however Palarce still annoy me and have done since as long as I can remember.
I totally get that some people cant see it and that's fine by me , but you cant deny its existence

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
a) I was stating the fact that, geographically, there are 13 league clubs nearer to Palace than us. I made no mention of rivalries, although there is clearly bad feeling between both Charlton and Millwall v Palace.
b) Fans will argue til they are blue in the face as to whether it grew naturally/organically or was contrived. I am in the latter camp, others will think differently.
c) Comparing Leeds to our situation with Palace is a poor example. Leeds were one of the biggest clubs in Europe for years and became the team to hate in this country. Their single biggest rivalry is with Man Utd. Pure hatred. Other clubs dislike Leeds as well, including Chelsea ( 1970 Cup Final ) and Sheff Wed, in particular. There is general and widespread dislike of Leeds, borne out of a mixture of envy, attitude and achievement.
d) Of course we have an identity but my argument, like it or not, is that we are naturally neutral as a club. What are the rivalries you refer to and how many are really serious?...Pompey, Swindon, Reading, Luton, Chesterfield, etc....we have had spells where they were at the forefront, briefly, but not anymore and who are the new different rivals?
e) No mutual animosity scares me. I guarantee that in 50+ years of supporting BHA, I have been to Selhurst Park more times than yourself. Whatever figure you come up with, I can add at least 10 to it. I have drunk in Palace pubs. I know Palace fans. I have drunk in solid Millwall pubs and been to the Old Den countless times and even stood alongside diehard Lions. Been attacked on terraces, seen mates punched to the ground, fought back, been chased to railway stations and been stoned with bricks and bottles.
f) Certainly not a worried child, just a mature fan who pre-dates the rivalry and who struggles to embrace it. I can't help it. It just doesn't sit naturally with me. I'm not alone. Read these threads. I know we are in the minority but hey ho, we are entitled to our opinion, as you are to yours.
I've seen enough hatred and violence in football to last two lifetimes. When I was younger, I got wrapped up in too much of it. The adrenalin kicked in. It does when you are adolescent. I don't crave it now and I certainly don't go looking for it. I dislike the nastiness in our relationship with Palace. Its grubby and ugly and I avoid it. My choice.

This is a completely different post to the one I referred to and now your comments (some of them) make sense.
I too have watched the intensity of our younger fans and thought - that used to be me.
I have spent years working in Reigate , Redhill, Earlswood,Purley, New Addington , Addiscoombe , Lewisham, Carshalton,Bromley to name a few .years gone by I have had to run, fight and wish I wasn't there at palarce, millwall, luton etc, last year while in Walton green New Addington I had screws driven into two tyres -I had to replace them (sussex by the sea badge ) caused that.
Many Many things are more important to me now however old habits die hard and some things will never change .

Threeagles

Dec 1, 2012
I feel slightly sorry for them as a club that's always struggling to find a real identity and has an obvious inferiority complex.

In the early 1970s, before we became rivals, they were a plucky little club trying their best to hang on to their newly-won first division status and I quite liked them. Then Malcolm Allison came along with all that Eagles nonsense - are eagles indigenous to the Croydon area? their previous nickname of 'Glaziers' made far more sense - and changed their kit to a poor man's Barcelona and they became something else. And I don't think anyone really knew what it was.

Pardew was actually the perfect manager for them (and, coincidentally, once worked as a glazier) because he understood more about their South London roots than most. It was a shame from his and their point of view that he couldn't make them win home games. But highly amusing for us, of course.

I enjoyed us putting the final nail in their relegation at Selhurst in 1981, and I thought them advertising for new rivals when we were in the fourth tier was genuinely funny. Both sides understand that we'd miss each other if either club disappeared - which has been on the cards at times.

The annual REMF match probably sums it up best. It wouldn't be the same if we played the fans of Stains or the #twats. Both teams want to beat the other, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Or shouldn't be.

I wouldn't go there regarding nicknames. Were you not the Dolphins until our rivalry?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/4-facts-you-probably-never-knew-about-brighton-hove-albion/2/

From my point of view, no hate from me, maybe a little back in the late 70's/80's but grown out of it. Still enjoy the rivalry and do enjoy seeing you struggle, although weirdly I wanted to see you come up so we could play each other. Always look at your result first as when we lose, seeing you lose makes me feel a little better.

I remember back in the day having many a great night out in Brighton, although always having to keep very quiet about my team, as there was more than one occasion groups of lads would just come up and ask who you support and then you get asked to name some of their players. Weird times really...

Anyhow, looking forward to the new season, sounds like you may need to dip into the market if Knockaert is injured?

Bring on the 2 matches, I will be at both and can't wait. Just hope we can all enjoy the matches, enjoy the rivalry without it needing to get too stupid!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here