Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To my eternal shame

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I repeat I was FIVE when I had my aberration! Your mates would have been around 18, slightly different scenario...

I wasn't having a go at you specifically. Youre a Brighton fan, you saw the light. I was just moaning about all the Southerners that support other teams because they were successful at some point. I find them truly pathetic

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A few seasons ago I was at the Brighton v Blackburn game. Afterwards I was with some Blackburn fans who are actually from Uckfield like me. 4 or 5 of them. After the game I was questioning them in the pub as to why they were Blackburn fans even though they are Sussex boys born and bred. I couldn't get my head round it. You know why, Blackburn were successful in the mid '90-s and that fits our age group of around 40 years old. I honestly find it pathetic. Theres a whole rash of Sussex boys that support Liverpool because they were good in the 80's when we were kids. What sad pitiful fools, growing up to support a team just because they were the best when they were kids. Twats
It feels like that to us, but generally we're talking about kids with shit (non football loving) shit parents (yes, I know I said shit twice), and those kids don't know any better. You'd hope that when they get to mid teens someone takes them to a game, and they're saved. But what if that doesn't happen, and they move away from home for a bit, then they're 'insert shit PL team here' fans for life.

Twats, yes, but I do pity some of them, and there for the grace of 'a lift to a Brighton game' go I.

Blackburn though ??? ??? ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buy me a pie and pint at the QPR game and I'll forgive you
Let me get this right; you support Brighton because of this man right? You owe him a pie and a pint you ungrateful little shit.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I understand it.

I went to school when we were at Priestfield and the early years at Withdean.
Barely and kids in my school supported Brighton.
I'm guessing this was because the only evidence that the club would have existed to us was if our Dad's took us to games. Which mine didn't, and none of my mates were taken.
Boys naturally love football, we played it every day and watched it whenever it was on TV, usually the Champions League games on ITV or MotD.
We collected Panini stickers and World Cup coins/cards.
Brighton barely existed to most of us in my age group.

Luckily for me, my Dad took me to the last game at the Goldstone, and I was hooked. Most of my mates weren't so lucky, and grew up watching Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal on the TV and ended up favouring one of them.

Why would your average 10 year old kid support a team which he has no real connection to, not seeing games, no TV coverage, no parent supporters? Totally understandable imo.

I've mentioned it in a previous thread, we've got a 'lost generation' of fans between 1997 and 2011. Young and old.

I do understand what you're saying. I was lucky that my Dad is a Brighton fan, so I never knew anything different. That's also why i struggle to understand how kids can grow up supporting far away teams, its completely alien to me. I do feel sorry for them. They should have grown up supporting their local team, not following a team just because that was cool when they were kids

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It feels like that to us, but generally we're talking about kids with shit (non football loving) shit parents (yes, I know I said shit twice), and those kids don't know any better. You'd hope that when they get to mid teens someone takes them to a game, and they're saved. But what if that doesn't happen, and they move away from home for a bit, then they're 'insert shit PL team here' fans for life.

Twats, yes, but I do pity some of them, and there for the grace of 'a lift to a Brighton game' go I.

Blackburn though ??? ??? ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here's the weird thing, I actually turned my Dad into a Brighton fan, converting him from Charlton where he was born! He, like two of my brothers, has been a STH for years.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I do understand what you're saying. I was lucky that my Dad is a Brighton fan, so I never knew anything different. That's also why i struggle to understand how kids can grow up supporting far away teams, its completely alien to me. I do feel sorry for them. They should have grown up supporting their local team, not following a team just because that was cool when they were kids

I didn't have a 'football Dad' and no other close relative who would take me to games, or talk to me about Albion.
However, as I mentioned in the previous post, thankfully my Dad got tickets for the "STOORREEEEERRRRR!!!!" show and that ignited my support for BHA.

None of my friends went to that game, and I only know of 2 schoolmates who went to watch Brighton afterwards (their Dad's were STH's).

My question to you is, how could your typical 10 year old kid have supported Brighton, back in 1998 (or soon afterwards) if his Dad didn't take him to games or get the kid involved in someway?
As backwards as it sounds, it was the two kids who went to Brighton games who were 'odd' to us.

A 10 year old kid back in 1998 without footballing parents doesn't pick up the Evening Argus mid-week, read the Tuesday night 0-0 draw away at Torquay Utd match report and decide, "you know what, THAT'S the team I want to follow".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, I'm the only one of the 'brothers' than never went to Selhurst. Only ever set foot in the place for a BHA game
I wasn't suggesting you ever went to Sellhurst, but he's your older brother, and possibly the reason you support Brighton?

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I didn't have a 'football Dad' and no other close relative who would take me to games, or talk to me about Albion.
However, as I mentioned in the previous post, thankfully my Dad got tickets for the "STOORREEEEERRRRR!!!!" show and that ignited my support for BHA.

None of my friends went to that game, and I only know of 2 schoolmates who went to watch Brighton afterwards (their Dad's were STH's).

My question to you is, how could your typical 10 year old kid have supported Brighton, back in 1998 (or soon afterwards) if his Dad didn't take him to games or get the kid involved in someway?
As backwards as it sounds, it was the two kids who went to Brighton games who were 'odd' to us.

A 10 year old kid back in 1998 without footballing parents doesn't pick up the Evening Argus mid-week, read the Tuesday night 0-0 draw away at Torquay Utd match report and decide, "you know what, THAT'S the team I want to follow".
I do you understand, i first went in 1984 so a slightly different age group and my Dad was a Brighton fan anyway. I can imagine at 10 yrs old in the late 90's it wasn't an attractive option to follow Brighton. Even so im talking about people my age that follow Liverpool because they were great when we were primary school age or Blackburn because thry won the premier league in 95 when we were late teens. They are glory hunters, I can't take them seriously

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I wasn't having a go at you specifically. Youre a Brighton fan, you saw the light. I was just moaning about all the Southerners that support other teams because they were successful at some point. I find them truly pathetic

Of us 3 brothers there was only one that didn't see the light, the Spurs fan, but then he was born in London so was sort of supporting his local team by birth.
My youngest brother has never wavered and has always been an Albion fan!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I do you understand, i first went in 1984 so a slightly different age group and my Dad was a Brighton fan anyway. I can imagine at 10 yrs old in the late 90's it wasn't an attractive option to follow Brighton. Even so im talking about people my age that follow Liverpool because they were great when we were primary school age or Blackburn because thry won the premier league in 95 when we were late teens. They are glory hunters, I can't take them seriously

Yeah that's fair enough, tbh I had tunnel vision thinking of Priestfield & early Withdean era.

There's a couple of old mates (Utd/Chelsea supporters) who've jumped on the bandwagon in the last 4-5 years and I like to give them a bit of a ribbing.
They know they grew up wrong and are trying to make it right!

I don't really meet many older Brightonians that follow Utd/Chelsea/Aresenal, however I do meet (and know) a few Brightonian Liverpool fans (who are the worst).
They know everything Liverpool, love the club but have never been to Anfield.

I also know someone who support Leeds, Palace AND Brighton. :shootself

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Yeah that's fair enough, tbh I had tunnel vision thinking of Priestfield & early Withdean era.

There's a couple of old mates (Utd/Chelsea supporters) who've jumped on the bandwagon in the last 4-5 years and I like to give them a bit of a ribbing.
They know they grew up wrong and are trying to make it right!

I don't really meet many older Brightonians that follow Utd/Chelsea/Aresenal, however I do meet (and know) a few Brightonian Liverpool fans (who are the worst).
They know everything Liverpool, love the club but have never been to Anfield.

I also know someone who support Leeds, Palace AND Brighton. :shootself

Haha the friend that supports Leeds, Palace and Brighton must be a very confused individual. I guess I will never truly understand how a person can claim to support a far away team. You're right theres plenty of people out there that claim to support a team yet have never even been to their stadium. I guess it comes down to what seems cool with their mates. They're not proper football fans really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here