Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Disney now coming under fire.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
She was repeating what Keira Knightly had said. I suppose it makes Lenny's post look more grumpy old man. :lolol:

I agree with your comment on the news outlets. Why do Itv and the BBC think we are interested in these silly stories?

Doesn't this thread show that people are interested?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Jesus wept. Lenny, do you ever post anything that can't be translated as "It's PC gone MAD these days isn't it?".

Yes, last week I commented on how good the Adolf Eichmann film was on Netflix and how Christians Against Poverty were effectively taking the piss over a funeral debt.

Sorry Simster, it was just the London knife crime thing, especially in the wake of the Don Lock news yesterday, all but being sidelined to debate children's stories being sexist and racist.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed, I'd have said that Cinderella is anything but sexist. Firstly all four main characters are female, the 'goodies' and the 'baddies'. The main male character is only a minor role who appears after the action has been set and is simply the trophy that Cinderella wins (with female help) for overcoming adversity. Secondly the story many times passes the Bechdel Test, which is a test for the roles of women in fiction. Basically a work of fiction 'passes' if it features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man

I suppose one could argue that Cinders' motivation from the party onwards is simply to claim the hand of the Prince - hardly a model of 2nd-wave feminism. And she is not particularly an active agent in her own narrative; the fairy Godmother pretty much determines everything that will happen. But the story itself is certainly not sexist, and the Bechdel thing is a good point.

Recently I've been reading Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes to my daughter and she very much likes his version, where the Prince decapitates the Ugly Sisters, which puts Cinderella off him and she ends up with a jam-maker instead.

‘Off with her head!’ The Prince roared back.
They chopped it off with one big whack.
This pleased the Prince. He smiled and said,
‘She’s prettier without her head.’

:lol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, last week I commented on how good the Adolf Eichmann film was on Netflix and how Christians Against Poverty were effectively taking the piss over a funeral debt.

Sorry Simster, it was just the London knife crime thing, especially in the wake of the Don Lock news yesterday, all but being sidelined to debate children's stories being sexist and racist.

Once again you are pointing the finger at Christians against Poverty, when all the debt counselling services are using the same method. Blame the debtor not the counselling service.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry Thunder, I must be getting old, coming out to work and Mrs H has ITV on, and we've a young lady, barely out of her teens, telling us why its all wrong re Disney, and specifically Cinders and Aladdin, then cut to the 8am news, first two items Hate preacher gets out early and 48 year old father of two murdered in London standing up to drug dealers.

Perspective springs to mind.

Keira Knightley is 33.

Edit: I note that this has already been pointed out.

Not that somebody barely out of their teens can't hold a valid opinion of course, even if they are a lady.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I do find it incredible that people who have been lapping up the Daily Mail for years have suddenly started reacting to slow news day stories.

There was a very interesting chap on the radio the other day talking about the how masses have become scared, feel the life they know and love is being threatened by modernity and have started voting for leaders such as Trump.

Mark the day because if it happens in this country we can trace it back to Disney and Kleenex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Recently I've been reading Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes to my daughter and she very much likes his version, where the Prince decapitates the Ugly Sisters, which puts Cinderella off him and she ends up with a jam-maker instead.

Hope he preserved some of the original story

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I do find it incredible that people who have been lapping up the Daily Mail for years have suddenly started reacting to slow news day stories.

There was a very interesting chap on the radio the other day talking about the how masses have become scared, feel the life they know and love is being threatened by modernity and have started voting for leaders such as Trump.

Mark the day because if it happens in this country we can trace it back to Disney and Kleenex.

some would say it happened a while ago with the Brexit vote.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This actress her expressed her opinion about what she will and won’t let into her house . It doesn’t mean you don’t have exactly the same choice.

“Coincidentally” Keira Knightly has a film coming out on the 2nd November. Try and see the bigger picture here.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cinderella is a deeply sexist cartoon film, we'd never show it in our house. That's because Lily James is well fit in the real-life one. Carry on.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I suppose one could argue that Cinders' motivation from the party onwards is simply to claim the hand of the Prince - hardly a model of 2nd-wave feminism. And she is not particularly an active agent in her own narrative; the fairy Godmother pretty much determines everything that will happen. But the story itself is certainly not sexist, and the Bechdel thing is a good point.

‘Off with her head!’ The Prince roared back.
They chopped it off with one big whack.
This pleased the Prince. He smiled and said,
‘She’s prettier without her head.’

:lol:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not holding it up as a shining example of feminist literature and claiming that Cinderella is the ideal female role model; just that the 'sexist' accusation is (mainly) unjustified for the story overall..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure how you've managed to link the two events...but I applaud you for it :lolol:

Shane Duffy got booked for pulling somebody's shirt a few weeks ago. Bloody outrageous when you consider the levels of human slavery and female genital mutilation going on across half the world.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How can they call the Sisters "Ugly", surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Furthermore, Buttons appears to work excessive hours, isn't this outside of the European Working Time Directive?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Wasnt walt himself and anti Semitic and paid up member of the Nazi party? Id find that more offensive

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The PC brigade are beyond stupid.

What's wrong with recognising that men and women are different. It would be strange world if they weren't and we should be embracing the differences not trying to make everyone the same.

We are messing with nature, it won't end well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here