Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia tonight

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea, but we need to find out, and sooner the better id suggest.

Well I'm going to cut out the middle man and booo him from the start, assuming he does actually exist.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Obviously locadia has been a disappointment so far.
And I’m not one of those nauseating fans who says ‘we should show love and support to all our players even if they’re crap and not trying’.
Also, his sizeable transfer fee doesn’t guarantee he’s decent. We may have just ****ed up.
BUT there are legitimate reasons to believe locadia can turn it around:

1 His goal scoring record in Holland is very surprisingly impressive
2 Check his YouTube ‘best of’ (yes I know they can be misleading). But The range of goals is impressive
3 From what I’ve seen, he isn’t feeling sorry for himself. He still badly wants to succeed.
4 hughton is ruthless about not playing people who don’t show up in training. But he gave locadia a start. That’s significant.

It’s hard to argue with those who have written him off (I was one of them) but maybe his pretty terrible start is more down to a temporary lack of confidence rather than a permanent absence of premier league ability.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He had nothing to work with and mostly high balls do not play to his strengths. I thought he did OK but is clearly lacking game time and confidence , I haven’t given up on him yet but he didn’t do enough to challenge Murray for a starting place. Hopefully he will get 20mins a game over the next few games when we aren’t playing an untouchable team. He needs game time and a bit of luck in a decent attacking performance by the team. He is not a lone striker in a team that don’t attack much so we need to be patient imo.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've hated all the negativity regarding Locadia and was thinking yesterday that there wasn't much he could do. Then Murray came on and showed how much more could be done. Locadia is more of a number 10, he looked good playing off Ulloa, which makes it seem like a very odd purchase.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Locadia isn't a front one which Murray is.

Maybe he would have looked better with balls behind defenders and channel balls instead of surviving on passes hit in his general direction.

The jury is out, however if he is a No.10 or a winger you could question why we signed him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos they do. Because without Murray, Baldock, Zamora and Hemed we wouldn’t even be having a conversation about our £15m striker and his flaws - because we would still be in the Champl or relegated last season.
But if getting worked up about Akpom, best, and the like still floats your boat feel free.

Not me Gov.
Just reminding the chaps that if they carried on pointing out all the striker failings they'd eventually summons Beetlejuice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The list of reasons Locadia isn’t shining continues to grow. Rest of the team aren’t fast enough, formation, type of ball into him, type of player around him, easier opposition, bigger goals maybe? Unfair he’s not had a chance against a team down to 10?

I’m not sure with Andone closer to fitness, CH is giving Locadia a last roll of the dice to prove himself as the 2nd choice striker before Andone starts getting the nod on the bench. Difficult to impress away to ManCity, no one is expecting goals, but you still need that something about you in touch, strength, positioning and distribution.

Crikey. So we are not only a club that always plays with only one striker (or two, with Murray playing every game), but also we only ever play the same guys? I suspect the days of the first eleven, which plays week in week out (Sprake, Cooper, Reanney, Charlton, Hunter, Bremner, Giles Grey, Clark, Jones, Lorrimer - took 20 seconds to type that from memory - now do that with 'the' Albion side of the last 5 years) are.....long gone. As the season progresses different players will be picked based on the judgement of the manager. They won't get a set number of run outs, then become either a first elven fixture or loaned out to QPR or Reading. We are *cough* in th PL now *cough*.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And I’m not one of those nauseating fans who says ‘we should show love and support to all our players even if they’re crap and not trying’.
Also, his sizeable transfer fee doesn’t guarantee he’s decent. We may have just ****ed up.

1 His goal scoring record in Holland is very surprisingly impressive
2 Check his YouTube ‘best of’ (yes I know they can be misleading). But The range of goals is impressive
3 From what I’ve seen, he isn’t feeling sorry for himself. He still badly wants to succeed.
4 hughton is ruthless about not playing people who don’t show up in training. But he gave locadia a start. That’s significant.

It’s hard to argue with those who have written him off (I was one of them) but maybe his pretty terrible start is more down to a temporary lack of confidence rather than a permanent absence of premier league ability.

This. Remember Andrew Cole when he went to ManU? He was absolut shite and missed countless sitters before he evntually hit his stride. Up till then he looked a broken man, with the whole country laughing at him. I, for one. Locardia has not missed countlss sitters and has had about one tenth the game time of Cole back then. I have no idea yet whether Locardia will come good, and neither has anyone else.

As for Murray, he's 35 and one of the smartest guys in the PL. He is living the dream, and knows how to live it. He's now ascended into legend status. To me, he looks amazing, just warming up. Comparing Locardia to Murray is like comparing somone who has just started working at your workplace with your misses. Like car crime in a multistorey car park.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

1 His goal scoring record in Holland is very surprisingly impressive Counts for very little
2 Check his YouTube ‘best of’ (yes I know they can be misleading). But The range of goals is impressiveCounts for very little
3 From what I’ve seen, he isn’t feeling sorry for himself. He still badly wants to succeed.Not really reflected in his body language or general demeanour on the pitch
4 hughton is ruthless about not playing people who don’t show up in training. But he gave locadia a start. That’s significant.Only signifies that the manager had conceded the points before the game even started

Sorry, can't agree with any of your points above.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Substitutes performances can be misleading, coming on when our opponents are tired (or at least not as fresh) and/or have won the game so taken their foot off the gas, knowing that while we may probe we're not good enough to get anything out of the game so are happy to sit back and bat away any dangers/push forward at ease because they have the beating of us.

This is all entirely predictable.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Crikey. So we are not only a club that always plays with only one striker (or two, with Murray playing every game), but also we only ever play the same guys? I suspect the days of the first eleven, which plays week in week out (Sprake, Cooper, Reanney, Charlton, Hunter, Bremner, Giles Grey, Clark, Jones, Lorrimer - took 20 seconds to type that from memory - now do that with 'the' Albion side of the last 5 years) are.....long gone. As the season progresses different players will be picked based on the judgement of the manager. They won't get a set number of run outs, then become either a first elven fixture or loaned out to QPR or Reading. We are *cough* in th PL now *cough*.

The strength of your squad will determine how many appearances players get. I’m sure we’d all be delighted if there is nothing to choose between our wingers and forwards allowing the manager flexibility in selection and tactics. But only if that doesn’t weaken the side. Why the thread on Locadia - because unlike what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is saying, of course we want him to do well, desperate for it in fact, but being subjectively critical on a forum is a lot different from booing a player. Locadia certainly doesn’t look like a player who isn’t trying, but remains a concern that he simply hasn’t got it at this level. Hughton obviously still sees something or he wouldn’t be starting, so we can remain hopeful he does prove us doubters wrong.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He had nothing to work with and mostly high balls do not play to his strengths. I thought he did OK but is clearly lacking game time and confidence , I haven’t given up on him yet but he didn’t do enough to challenge Murray for a starting place. Hopefully he will get 20mins a game over the next few games when we aren’t playing an untouchable team. He needs game time and a bit of luck in a decent attacking performance by the team. He is not a lone striker in a team that don’t attack much so we need to be patient imo.

Mostly I agree, but I'm not sure the 20mins at the end of a game is any use for him. I think regularly limiting him to a fraction of a game, often when it's already decided, is not conducive to bringing out the best in him. I think we need to give him a few starts, build training around playing to his strengths (without completely changing our set up, of course, I'm not sure we need to completely change our game to play to his strengths) against teams that we are actually planning to attack against.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The strength of your squad will determine how many appearances players get. I’m sure we’d all be delighted if there is nothing to choose between our wingers and forwards allowing the manager flexibility in selection and tactics. But only if that doesn’t weaken the side. Why the thread on Locadia - because unlike what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is saying, of course we want him to do well, desperate for it in fact, but being subjectively critical on a forum is a lot different from booing a player. Locadia certainly doesn’t look like a player who isn’t trying, but remains a concern that he simply hasn’t got it at this level. Hughton obviously still sees something or he wouldn’t be starting, so we can remain hopeful he does prove us doubters wrong.

wooo woooo steady on there.
This whole thread is me supporting him and saying he should play. against the tide of opposition.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
This. Remember Andrew Cole when he went to ManU? He was absolut shite and missed countless sitters before he evntually hit his stride. Up till then he looked a broken man, with the whole country laughing at him. I, for one. Locardia has not missed countlss sitters and has had about one tenth the game time of Cole back then. I have no idea yet whether Locardia will come good, and neither has anyone else.

As for Murray, he's 35 and one of the smartest guys in the PL. He is living the dream, and knows how to live it. He's now ascended into legend status. To me, he looks amazing, just warming up. Comparing Locardia to Murray is like comparing somone who has just started working at your workplace with your misses. Like car crime in a multistorey car park.....

Agree.
Ask a Bmuff fan before we took Murray off their hands and I'm sure they had a similar opinion of him to some of Locadia.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here