Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Long haul day time flight - reclining is selfish and not necessary
Long haul night flight - reclining is ok when the cabin lights are dimmed
Short haul all flights - see 1 above

IMO

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not sure you can compare a few minutes on the phone, with no physical impact on others, to several hours of potential physical discomfort caused by being, basically, inconsiderate. Agree though that most of the time the vast majority will recline on long haul outside of meal times simply because it's more comfortable.

Cabin crew are also pretty well versed in dealing with this in my experience. If you complain about the recliner in front at meal times, they'll always tell them to go upright (often there will be an announcement asking all passengers to do so). At other times, surely the answer is to just use a bit of consideration ? Simple quick check with the person behind (or at least warn them you're about to do it).........there's usually a compromise to be found. It's only the utter bellends that cause a problem, then you ask the cabin crew to intervene. All that said, we've made a conscious decision to only go long-haul in min premium economy - I do realise we're lucky to be able to do that - even if it means going away less frequently.

I agree. There's a compromise to be found, and I totally agree that reclining during meal times is totally inconsiderate. I guess maybe that's the point, despite being a regular recliner during long haul flights, I've never had any issues because I am ultimately rather considerate around others. And again, maybe I've just never had a really tall person behind me who's suffered because of my reclining.

Although my comparison still stands. Different people find different things inconsiderate. Just because you find reclining more inconsiderate than people on their phone in a cafe, doesn't mean others feel the same.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If both seats are upright then both passengers are equally ‘comfortable’.

If the front seat is then reclined, it increases the comfort of that passenger at the expense of the taller passenger who is now more uncomfortable as a result.

That’s not hypocrisy, it’s common sense. :)

How so? You don't know the circumstances of the recliner. They could have a back issue that makes sitting in an upright position for that length of time very uncomfortable for them...

And you're missing the point further. It's only really tall people that are making the complaints on here. Most normal sized people I'd imagine are equally as comfortable with or without the recline. What seems to be the running thread throughout this is that tall people struggle, and they expect everyone else to adapt their behaviour for said tall people. The adaptation of behaviour to fit their needs is selfish and hypocritical.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
It is important to note I will be jamming that seat way back tonight as I fly from the US for the game tomorrow. Anyone in row 14 on the RDU-LHR flight take note.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't think it's a remotely comparable analogy unless when you answer your phone you thrust the table against someone else's knees BUT, to answer your question, if I thought the call was urgent I'd take it, keep it as short and quiet as possible and tell the caller I'd call them back later - no one in the cafe needs to hear my conversation and I find it incredibly rude when people get on a train/bus etc or sit in a cafe and make long loud phone calls. I just think, in almost every situation in life, if you show a bit of consideration and thoughtfulness to those around you most situations resolve themselves.

You are arguably the most English person ever. It must be absolutely exhausting being you.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
How so? You don't know the circumstances of the recliner. They could have a back issue that makes sitting in an upright position for that length of time very uncomfortable for them...

And you're missing the point further. It's only really tall people that are making the complaints on here. Most normal sized people I'd imagine are equally as comfortable with or without the recline. What seems to be the running thread throughout this is that tall people struggle, and they expect everyone else to adapt their behaviour for said tall people. The adaptation of behaviour to fit their needs is selfish and hypocritical.

Really?

Here’s an alternative scenario which is hopefully more relevant than your cafe phone call.

I prefer to stand at football but am aware that I’m quite tall so, if the person behind me is short, I sit down to ensure they can see despite it reducing my own personal enjoyment. In other words I adaptate my behaviour to fit their needs.

Do you think that is selfish and hypocritical? or rather being aware of the circumstances of the people sitting around me and acting accordingly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really?

Here’s an alternative scenario which is hopefully more relevant than your cafe phone call.

I prefer to stand at football but am aware that I’m quite tall so, if the person behind me is short, I sit down to ensure they can see despite it reducing my own personal enjoyment. In other words I adaptate my behaviour to fit their needs.

Do you think that is selfish and hypocritical? or rather being aware of the circumstances of the people sitting around me and acting accordingly.

Well you can feck right off, a Palace fan being more reasonable than an Albion fan on an Albion board, whatever next :rolleyes:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
North Stand GIANTS :ohmy:

true story, just before the Man U match I had a dream (or nightmare rather) that I got to my spot in the North and there were two newbies standing in the row infront and they were about 7 feet tall!!!!!! Such a relief to see the usual mob on the day :smile:

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Not with me sitting behind you wouldn’t. :D

Well, i would.

I did actually once have someone push against my chair each time i tried to recline, after a brief exchange of words, and considering i were on a plane, it was clear that calling the flight attendant was the best way to resolve this, who in no uncertain terms, told him that he was being "a bit pathetic" and that the staff encourage seats to be reclined to maximize comfort. So back my chair went, for the next 10 hours.

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
I'm 6ft 7 - I struggle to sit down in economy seats, no chance anybody in front is reclining, the bigger issue would be my knees pushing into their back for the entire flight...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Well, i would.

I did actually once have someone push against my chair each time i tried to recline, after a brief exchange of words, and considering i were on a plane, it was clear that calling the flight attendant was the best way to resolve this, who in no uncertain terms, told him that he was being "a bit pathetic" and that the staff encourage seats to be reclined to maximize comfort. So back my chair went, for the next 10 hours.

You really wouldn’t. Primarily because your seat has nowhere to go seeing as my knees are already jammed in the back of it when it’s upright. Last time this happened the bloke in the seat in front of me called the attendant, suggesting that their seat was broken as it wouldn’t recline. She took one look at my knees already pressed into the vertical seat and told him that unfortunately he wouldn’t be able to recline his chair on the flight as it was not physically possible due to my size. Cue several minutes of him complaining about his rights to the poor attendant.

About 15 minutes later she returned and moved me to business class.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No never. But if the person infront of me reclines it usually means there's not enough room for me and I find I naturally often bump into the seat. Must be very annoying for them and they certainly don't get much sleep.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Really?

My seats are in the North Stand. Tall people stand in front of me all the time. In fact there's a guy directly in front of me who must be 6'5 comfortably - he doesn't care and I don't care. I respect the fact that I choose to sit in the North Stand where people stand frequently and I just look around the sides of him if his height restricts my view slightly.

Also, the example is no more relevant. It's more relevant to you because your height dictates that such scenarios affect you more. The relevance isn't down to height comparisons though, it's down to how people inconvenience other people. You get inconvenienced by people reclining on a plane, I don't. You get inconvenienced by having to sit at the football because of your height, I don't get inconvenienced even with tall people around me. So I guess the overall issue here is that you're super sensitive about situations where height is an issue and I'm not. Consequently, I don't think you and I are ever going to see eye to eye on this, so we should probably just leave it be and both admit defeat in convincing the other person to our view point.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
In general I won't recline. However, on my recent overnight flight back from Mexico, a family behind me felt the need to swap seats with each other every half hour and used my seat as a way of pulling themselves up... very annoying when you're trying to sleep. After about three hours of it, both my partner and I had become irritated and slammed our seats back into full recline for the next six hours. Not for comfort, just out of spite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here