Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wouldnt he have trouble wlaking from his car toi the training ground due to his size:lolol:

Yet you’ve suggested Gary Mabbutt who had to have surgery to save a leg 4 years ago and struggles to walk, and can no longer run or kick a ball, as a result.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Very long and very negative.

You couldn't be more wrong.

It is no secret in professional circles that our major strength as a team is Dunk and Duffy.

How exactly has Glenn Murray scored his goals this season? It happens.

As for set pieces - how many times do we see Dunk and Duffy get completely, or relatively, free headers in more illustrious opponents' boxes?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Questions.
1) How many goals have Dunk/Duffy scored from set pieces this season?
2) How many goals has Murray scored from set pieces this season?
3) It is no secret in professional circles that our major weakness is at set pieces. Do we appear to be addressing this?
4) Are you not concerned that we have good approach play and create chances against teams but every time the opposition get a corner or free kick, many fans fear the worst?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Disagree completely on the first goal.

It was a brilliant cross, Dunk was in an awful stick or twist position.

If he goes tight on Lukaku, Lukaku nips inside and scores, everyone is ‘Dunk was asleep’.

The fact is the cross was so good, it took Dunk out of the game.

Presumably in ‘83 when Smith scored at Wembley, it was McQueen’s fault, when all the ‘pundits’ were stating ‘the cross was the goal’. For me it was the same yesterday.

For Gary Howlett read Juan Mata [emoji2][emoji23]

The second goal was a defensive disaster, 3 on 1 at the back post. Dunk was culpable, as was Duffy, Murray/Ulloa or whoever was picking up Matic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for a common sense post on this thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Questions.
3) It is no secret in professional circles that our major weakness is at set pieces. Do we appear to be addressing this?
Quite obviously YES..
If you can't see it then you probably should be watching the game more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yet you’ve suggested Gary Mabbutt who had to have surgery to save a leg 4 years ago and struggles to walk, and can no longer run or kick a ball, as a result.

That about Razor was said in jest but would Mabbutt have to run or kick a ball would it not be done with Videos and talking and putting him in the correct positions on the training ground rather than demonsrating the actual playing bit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Questions.

Well yes, a)we haven’t been conceding from set pieces recently, b) we’ve looked more dangerous from them.

This is because we have been addressing things and you can see this on the pitch. Duffy as an example remains a spare man at corners to attack the ball no matter what and not worry about marking, that has made us look so much more solid defending corners. Attacking we’re separating Dunk and Duffy more so that they appear to get more space, with Dunk more in the centre of the goal as his chance last night, and his goal against Arsenal. Not perfect by any stretch as the set piece goal last night demonstrated, but wrong to say it’s not been addressed or worked on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yes, a)we haven’t been conceding from set pieces recently, b) we’ve looked more dangerous from them.

This is because we have been addressing things and you can see this on the pitch. Duffy as an example remains a spare man at corners to attack the ball no matter what and not worry about marking, that has made us look so much more solid defending corners. Attacking we’re separating Dunk and Duffy more so that they appear to get more space, with Dunk more in the centre of the goal as his chance last night, and his goal against Arsenal. Not perfect by any stretch as the set piece goal last night demonstrated, but wrong to say it’s not been addressed or worked on.

To not be able to see that makes me wonder what other posters are watching.
If I can see it, nobody has any excuse.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disagree completely on the first goal.

It was a brilliant cross, Dunk was in an awful stick or twist position.

If he goes tight on Lukaku, Lukaku nips inside and scores, everyone is ‘Dunk was asleep’.

The fact is the cross was so good, it took Dunk out of the game.

Presumably in ‘83 when Smith scored at Wembley, it was McQueen’s fault, when all the ‘pundits’ were stating ‘the cross was the goal’. For me it was the same yesterday.

For Gary Howlett read Juan Mata [emoji2][emoji23]

The second goal was a defensive disaster, 3 on 1 at the back post. Dunk was culpable, as was Duffy, Murray/Ulloa or whoever was picking up Matic.

The cross was good because Matic had so much time - Schelotto, March and Gross made a pigs ear of dealing with Shaw and Martial behind them that Matic could have lit a cigar in the time he had to pick out a ball. That said with Mata, Martial, Lingard, Lukaku all running in behind you, that moment of concentration is easily broken.

Dunk has to do better though, he was so flat footed he couldn’t even challenge to put Lukaku off, I don’t believe you’re looking to play offside with a striker behind you.

Was it Locadia who actually picks up Matic behind Dunk for the 2nd? Someone did and it seemed like Dunk sensed more danger in front than behind, not uncommon for a CB to feel like they don’t want to be outside the line of the far post.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The cross was good because Matic had so much time - Schelotto, March and Gross made a pigs ear of dealing with Shaw and Martial behind them that Matic could have lit a cigar in the time he had to pick out a ball. That said with Mata, Martial, Lingard, Lukaku all running in behind you, that moment of concentration is easily broken.

Dunk has to do better though, he was so flat footed he couldn’t even challenge to put Lukaku off, I don’t believe you’re looking to play offside with a striker behind you.

Was it Locadia who actually picks up Matic behind Dunk for the 2nd? Someone did and it seemed like Dunk sensed more danger in front than behind, not uncommon for a CB to feel like they don’t want to be outside the line of the far post.

I agree re the closing down and unfortunately March, again proved (to me at least) why he is not currently good enough. He looks all at sea and has looks void of confidence. As you say, Mata had ample time.

However, I don’t think Dunk was flat footed, otherwise he wouldn’t have taken off barely at all, he was just undone by the quality of the cross.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree re the closing down and unfortunately March, again proved (to me at least) why he is not currently good enough. He looks all at sea and has looks void of confidence. As you say, Mata had ample time.

However, I don’t think Dunk was flat footed, otherwise he wouldn’t have taken off barely at all, he was just undone by the quality of the cross.

Agree about March (unfortunately), been saying it for a while, but then again I remember a magic game at home to Cardiff when he came alive then the following weeks he was unplayable. Got a feeling it’s in his head rather than his talent, he looks like a young lad who was playing at Lewes who can’t quite believe he’s taking on ManUtd in the Premier League. He played a lovely ball into Lacadia’s head after leaving Young for dead, but it’s just so rare and his decision making at times is just slow, poor or a bit negative.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

You keep on about the 'quality of the cross' and yes it was good but it was there to be won and Dunk did not apply himself to the task in hand for either goal.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree about March (unfortunately), been saying it for a while, but then again I remember a magic game at home to Cardiff when he came alive then the following weeks he was unplayable. Got a feeling it’s in his head rather than his talent, he looks like a young lad who was playing at Lewes who can’t quite believe he’s taking on ManUtd in the Premier League. He played a lovely ball into Lacadia’s head after leaving Young for dead, but it’s just so rare and his decision making at times is just slow, poor or a bit negative.

Yes it was a great cross.

It was frustrating because he did well in the first few games.....

I would start Locadia against Leicester.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You keep on about the 'quality of the cross' and yes it was good but it was there to be won and Dunk did not apply himself to the task in hand for either goal.

It really wasn’t, because he was effectively taken out the game by the quality. Football, (as I know that you know), isn’t simply a game of it’s airborne therefore the CB should win it.

Apologies for being rude, but if you can’t see that then the discussion is pointless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It really wasn’t, because he was effectively taken out the game by the quality. Football, (as I know that you know), isn’t simply a game of it’s airborne therefore the CB should win it.

Apologies for being rude, but if you can’t see that then the discussion is pointless.

You're a bit late on that. :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I fully accept that view but you EXPECT your CB to win the high balls into the 6yd box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You might expect your keeper to claim it sometimes in the 6yd box.

Gist of this thread seems to be that Dunk isn’t 100% perfect all the time. Who’d have thought it.

And because of that instead of watching the slow Improvement that will come from from playing in the top division, under the guidance of a first coaching staff, we should change everything while only concentrating on perceived faults.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here