Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] If you are an Amazon Alexa user

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Amazon echo only works with a premium spotify account, so you need to pay.

Edit. They were doing 99p for three months but I think that has ended. May be doing another deal though.

Ah, yes, of course. Forgot about that as I used my daughters account before I had prime.
Sorry Gem if I was misleading

Jul 7, 2003
OH, so is the alexa useless unless I have some form of subscription music service?

Depends what you want. As others have said, there is a whole wide world of internet radio out there you can pick up through Alexa. I bought one for Mrs DCH and she uses it for Amazon Music (£3.99 a month), as a radio but also found her playing deal or no deal with Alexa while she was doing the washing up (the wife was washing up, Alexa isn't that good yet) and also uses Alexa as a kitchen tool for things like weight conversion or as a timer.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Depends what you want. As others have said, there is a whole wide world of internet radio out there you can pick up through Alexa. I bought one for Mrs DCH and she uses it for Amazon Music (£3.99 a month), as a radio but also found her playing deal or no deal with Alexa while she was doing the washing up (the wife was washing up, Alexa isn't that good yet) and also uses Alexa as a kitchen tool for things like weight conversion or as a timer.

Your wife does the " washing up"? Get her a dish washer you tight fisted sod....:lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can upload your own music to Amazon cloud through your PC or Mac, then you can stream your own music to Echo.

Echo will also work with other streaming music services like Spotify, or will play radio stations from Tunein, or station playlists.

OH, so is the alexa useless unless I have some form of subscription music service?

Save me typing the same answer again...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Alexa for lazy ******** .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Alexa for lazy ******** .

Yep.

Like cars, trains, planes, phones, computers, farmers, butchers, supermarkets, clothes manufacturers, lawnmowers...

I don’t own one due to not wanting a spy in the house. “But they don’t record anything you say”, you say? Well, I don’t know about that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep.

Like cars, trains, planes, phones, computers, farmers, butchers, supermarkets, clothes manufacturers, lawnmowers...

I don’t own one due to not wanting a spy in the house. “But they don’t record anything you say”, you say? Well, I don’t know about that.
Do you use a phone with voice recognition? Siri or Google Assistant?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I gave my wife an Alexa for her birthday this week. It presently sits there on the kitchen breakfast counter and a good game we've devised while we all wait for my wife to cook meals for us is to see who can be the first to make Alexa say a particular word.

e.g - If the word is "dog" she won't comprehend what has four legs and goes "woof" but she will know "what type of animal is a dachshund" (Alexa, not my wife).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I gave my wife an Alexa for her birthday this week. It presently sits there on the kitchen breakfast counter and a good game we've devised while we all wait for my wife to cook meals for us is to see who can be the first to make Alexa say a particular word.

e.g - If the word is "dog" she won't comprehend what has four legs and goes "woof" but she will know "what type of animal is a dachshund" (Alexa, not my wife).

The winter nights must just fly by.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you got kids? It's better than listening to them argue.

True enough.

I'm currently playing Question of the Day. Just mince into the kitchen and say "Alexa...what is the question of the day ?" She will then give you a challenging and oft thought-provoking multiple choice question (4 possible answers). Get it right and you'll get a bonus question. Get it wrong, and that's it till tomorrow. There's points up for grabs.

She keeps score and EVERYTHING.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
True enough.

I'm currently playing Question of the Day. Just mince into the kitchen and say "Alexa...what is the question of the day ?" She will then give you a challenging and oft thought-provoking multiple choice question (4 possible answers). Get it right and you'll get a bonus question. Get it wrong, and that's it till tomorrow. There's points up for grabs.

I'll try playing that over the short summer nights.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I got the Echo for a Christmas present and I think the sound quality is very good for listening to listening to Spotify but otherwise found it quite dissapointing. Anymore suggestions on how I can enjoy it more?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
True enough.

what if you think you're right and Alexa says you're wrong?

Do you get some sort of reward at the end like a little drawer opens containing a monkey nut or something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here