Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Migrating NSC / downtime [Thur. 6th October]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the near future I am going to be moving NSC.

Currently every time you do something on NSC (funky caching and CDN stuff aside), you're ultimately communicating with a data centre in Dallas, Texas. We've been there for a few years and it's broadly been a positive experience. When NSC hits 5,000+ concurrent users on transfer deadline days and the like, the site keeps ticking along.

However, there have been a few small issues recently, some of which are ongoing, which have led me to search for an alternative. I've long wanted to bring NSC 'home' and give the business to a UK host, and I've found one that I believe will be good for us. All communications have been swift, professional and friendly, and the people in question already host a number of large football forums.

I don't have specific timelines yet, but I would expect the move to happen over the next couple of weeks or so. This will unquestionably involve some downtime. I will try to give notice of this and keep it to a minimum, but there may be occasions where NSC disappears with little warning.

We are moving to a dedicated server which has been built to a specification designed to cope with NSC's peak usage demands. There is however a small chance that the server isn't powerful enough. If this is the case, a second migration will happen to a more powerful server.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home.

It's only a minor thing, I appreciate, but if thousands of pounds a year are going to be spent on hosting NSC why not do it with a UK company, supporting UK jobs?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
In the near future I am going to be moving NSC.

Currently every time you do something on NSC (funky caching and CDN stuff aside), you're ultimately communicating with a data centre in Dallas, Texas. We've been there for a few years and it's broadly been a positive experience. When NSC hits 5,000+ concurrent users on transfer deadline days and the like, the site keeps ticking along.

However, there have been a few small issues recently, some of which are ongoing, which have led me to search for an alternative. I've long wanted to bring NSC 'home' and give the business to a UK host, and I've found one that I believe will be good for us. All communications have been swift, professional and friendly, and the people in question already host a number of large football forums.

I don't have specific timelines yet, but I would expect the move to happen over the next couple of weeks or so. This will unquestionably involve some downtime. I will try to give notice of this and keep it to a minimum, but there may be occasions where NSC disappears with little warning.

We are moving to a dedicated server which has been built to a specification designed to cope with NSC's peak usage demands. There is however a small chance that the server isn't powerful enough. If this is the case, a second migration will happen to a more powerful server.
AWS Bozza? Surely an auto scaled instance in Dublin would do the job or is the forum not scalable? Maybe cost might preclude... sure you have looked into it but i have set up many systems that scale for demand and have been really happy with the service and results..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's only a minor thing, I appreciate, but if thousands of pounds a year are going to be spent on hosting NSC why not do it with a UK company, supporting UK jobs?
Eh? You're asking me as though I said it was a bad idea. I wasn't taking the piss. Granted, my celebration may have been over the top, but that's just the crazy guy I am etc etc.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Bloody Ukipper!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Do we get a new striker with the change?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How about doing it 3pm this Saturday? Not much going on at that time I think.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The international break around October 8th would be ideal timing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I look forward to the post transfer party unless of course the forum does an about turn on the M25 and heads off to yellow and greener lands never to be heard of again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here