Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure you are as sick of reading it as I am of posting in but

"Ok, specifically for a 'no deal' by 29th March 2019 we have to

Negotiate our WTO submission with any member who raises issues in the next 90 days or default to the highest level of Tariff.
We have to build a border and customs posts in Northern Ireland
We need to build the lorry parks at Dover and the other ports
We need to design, test and build the IT systems to run the newly negotitiated WTO rules and Tariffs
We we will need to recruit and train all customs and administrative staff to run the WTO processes and systems"
Doing all that would constitute a deal of sorts. If we don't do any of that it will still be 'No Deal'.

OK, you go and prepare yourself for the end of the world. I won't.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Lets just say money talks and the EU need the 39Billion divorce bill. A deal will be sorted

It is always surprising when Leavers insist that a shortish term disruption is worth the long term (imagined) gain, and insist the EU will only think short term about their immediate budget requirements.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No they're not. They're passed by elected MPs in the House of Commons. Granted they often nod through legislation promulgated by civil servants via their various minsters, and act in accordance with the dictats of the whips, but they still have the final say.
The Lords (unelected) can and do hinder and delay things a bit, but by law they cannot stop legislation. The Commons can over-rule them. Just as well, with all the self-satisfied old buffers wanting to remain in the EU gravy train and sod the people.

And they are Passed by elected MEP's in the EU.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The night is young and i've only had one drink ...

A recommended read for remainer stalwarts on this thread ..

Britain’s middle-class Brexit Anxiety Disorder
POLITICO puts Remainers on the couch — it’s not pretty.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-anxiety-disorder-britain-middle-class/

Interesting article. I recognise the symptoms. One of the best cures is to sit in front of the TVwith a can of Old Speckled Hen (or two) watching Sussex dispose of Durham and thereby reach the Finals of the 20 over comp..

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of which we have a power of veto. We don't have to accept every single law passed, blindly.

Except for the laws passed in areas of EU exclusive competence that require no parliamentary input.
We don’t have veto over exclusive competence that we signed up to in the treaties/.Stop lying and saying we do, you are shit at lying.
Time to take back control of our law making, you hate that concept, you are in a minority though,

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Interesting article. I recognise the symptoms. One of the best cures is to sit in front of the TVwith a can of Old Speckled Hen (or two) watching Sussex dispose of Durham and thereby reach the Finals of the 20 over comp..

Best cure for brexit
Hotel and transport organised to brum, i raise your two cans of cider to a possible 10 pint, couple of bottles of wine, dark rum day out at Edgbaston

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It simply shows the power of the countries involved. As per my other post...if we leave with no deal then 90% of our exports previously linked to eu trade deals will be hit with WTO. Suddenly all the other countries will realise what is dawning on people here. The membership is a small price to pay to be part of such a powerful economic bloc.

The EU is so powerful that Japan won’t be able to have a trade deal with us without clearing with the EU.

Sounds like bullying to Me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You're just plain wrong. And not just about that. I never get personal.

Wow - don't you have a short term memory !!!! Either that or you're lying ...... again.

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sounds like bullying to Me.

Or looking after the best interests of your members. They have protected us for decades. Whatever happened to them needing us more? Is it common for the stronger hand to be bullied?

This was a stage of realisation that everyone knew we would get to. We make unrealistic demands due our levels of self-importance then get told no so we cry foul.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Doing all that would constitute a deal of sorts. If we don't do any of that it will still be 'No Deal'.

OK, you go and prepare yourself for the end of the world. I won't.

So we go 'no deal' without borders, customs or any ability to collect any tariffs or monitor what / who goes in and out of the country ?

As each issue comes up, each 'solution' from the Brexiteers becomes more desperate and ridiculous

Taking back control :lolol:

Anyway, I'm now joining all our Brexiteer fans on here in fantasyland and looking forward to getting a result today :wave:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You do realise the laws in this country are passed by unelected people in Parliament? You have no say in the leader of the Tories, not the cabinet ministers, the civil service or the House of Lords. All of which help pass laws here.
The EU democracy is more accountable than the Houses of Parliament.

You may need to do some more reading on how our laws are implemented. Only parliament can pass a law.

Of which we have a power of veto. We don't have to accept every single law passed, blindly.

Not true. We only have a veto in a few areas - a minority in fact.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Or looking after the best interests of your members. They have protected us for decades. Whatever happened to them needing us more? Is it common for the stronger hand to be bullied?

This was a stage of realisation that everyone knew we would get to. We make unrealistic demands due our levels of self-importance then get told no so we cry foul.

Nah,bullying,thank goodness we’re the first to be jumping.
On our way.

larus

You do realise the laws in this country are passed by unelected people in Parliament? You have no say in the leader of the Tories, not the cabinet ministers, the civil service or the House of Lords. All of which help pass laws here.
The EU democracy is more accountable than the Houses of Parliament.

That really is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard on here for a long time.

Thunder Bolt thinks our MPs aren’t elected. Wow, you make [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] (aka Nibble) look like Einstein.

larus

The total gdp of the EU countries is about 15 trillion dollars. This means that the 39 billion is about 0.35% of total EU27. For one year. That is basically a rounding error in history. Do you really think the EU will be held to ransom over what is a pretty insignificant sum as a one off payment?

39 billion is obviously a hell of a lot of money to you and I, but to a economic super power like the EU it really isn’t. The sooner people realise that the better.

As a point of comparison it is like someone who earns 100k a year being held to ransom over 350 quid. Do you really think that would happen? Be serious with your answer.

Oh dear. Talking about comparing apples and pears.

Let’s start at the beginning.

GDP is the ‘turnover’ of a country - all companies, self-employed, etc within that country. Turnover does not equate to profit.

Then, on the profit/wages of each company, person, the portion which will be deemed to be taxable in that country will be taxed at the prevailing rate in that country. For example, Ireland has a lot of turnover which is taxed at very low rates for companies such as Google.

This taxation (including personal and consumption taxation) will be the income of the government, which is much, much smaller than the GDP.

Then, from this national income, they will pay into the EU budget.

So, you need to compare our contribution with the EU budget. That’s it. Nothing else is relevant.

What you have done is the equivalent of me sticking my head out of the window today, now (10:48 am) in Sussex and telling you what the weather will be in Scotland, at 5:45 pm, in 3 weeks time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I must say I find it very disappointing that there was frenzied activity on this thread last night, both during and after, Sussex's fine win over Durham and that, despite it being a later kick-off away from home, the 'Not on an Albion match-day' unwritten rule seems to have been disregarded today too. I sincerely hope that tomorrow morning my displeasure is not incurred again this evening in this regard, but I'm afraid I have my doubts.

Anyway, we've made finals day for the first time in 6 years, so just rejoice at that news and congratulate our cricketers and the spinners. Good-night.

Sussex.jpg

Rejoice!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here