Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Horrible Incident Southwick Green

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Just sayin? Women should have the freedom to walk by themselves at any time of the day or night. It's almost like you are saying she asked for it.

Yes, you are right - women SHOULD have the freedom to walk by themselves at any time of the day or night.
Some men need to learn they do not have the right to touch women without their consent.
I refer you to several recent news reports.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also, how many times do people have a few drinks and stay on somewhere etc. You don’t really think about ‘dangers’ after a few. The amount of times I go somewhere without a lift home is alarming and very care free yet disorganised!

I hope they catch the prick.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Where do we stand on men here? Should men be allowed to walk home at 2am, or should they also be told to get taxis for fear of being raped?

It's those bloody burglary victims that get me, with their nice houses, with windows and doors. If they all boarded their windows and doors up, they'd never have to worry about somebody breaking into their houses and stealing all that's important to them.

It’s not a matter of being “allowed” - it’s a matter of assessing risk.

There is ample advice offered by the police to home owners on how to reduce the risk of being burgled as well as keeping safe in public

Try to avoid walking alone at night in places such as parks and side streets or any unfamiliar environment. If you do have to walk, stick to busy places where is a lot of activity CCTV and good lighting.

https://www.met.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/violence/stay-safe/

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
I don't have a wife, I have a husband. Think about it.

Yes, I take care, and try to organise lifts, etc, but what happens if I'm driving and my car breaks down. I'm on my own and have to walk or wait for the RAC.

My car broke down late evening in a notorious South London red light district. I called the AA, who do prioritise lone women. While I was waiting, the girls on the streets were clearly very angry with me thinking I was invading their territory for business. I just sat tight until my husband arrived. Think about it.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011

There is ample advice offered by the police to home owners on how to reduce the risk of being burgled as well as keeping safe in public

Try to avoid walking alone at night in places such as parks and side streets or any unfamiliar environment. If you do have to walk, stick to busy places where is a lot of activity CCTV and good lighting.

Thank you. I rest my case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My car broke down late evening in a notorious South London red light district. I called the AA, who do prioritise lone women. While I was waiting, the girls on the streets were clearly very angry with me thinking I was invading their territory for business. I just sat tight until my husband arrived. Think about it.

So, you weren't in danger of being raped, just aggressive prostitutes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think you might find Edna is conversant with police advice.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just sayin? Women should have the freedom to walk by themselves at any time of the day or night. It's almost like you are saying she asked for it.

I really enjoyed reading about the 'reclaim the night' marches by women in the late 70s. Women were told to stay in at night for their safety, it was pointed out that surely men should be the ones to stay in and women have the freedom of the streets as they were the victims. Had to agree with that logic to be fair.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Women can blame themselves even when they are not to blame. Society can be part of that, even on this thread.

This ^ There was the (in)famous judge a few years ago who reduced a rapist's prison sentence on the grounds that his victim was guilty of 'contributory negligence' because she'd been wearing a short skirt.

Sadly, there is still a 'blame the victim' misogyny in rape cases, which alleges that the woman was drunk, or wearing provocatively revealing clothing, and so was somehow 'inviting' rape (the sort of mind-set one still sees in the Daily Mail).

Similarly, in the few too cases which do reach the courts, the women is likely to have her sexual history broadcast, the implication being that if she's had several sexual partners, she is clearly a bit of a 'nympho' or a 'slut', and therefore could not possible have said 'No' and meant it. One of the main reasons why so many women are reluctant to press charges.

Oddly enough, the courts don't seem to examine the defendant's sexual history to see if he has had dozens of sexual partners, and might therefore have a sense of 'entitlement' to sex, so that he refuses to accept a woman saying 'No'.

The only person who is ever responsible for rape is the person doing the raping.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This ^ There was the (in)famous judge a few years ago who reduced a rapist's prison sentence on the grounds that his victim was guilty of 'contributory negligence' because she'd been wearing a short skirt.

Sadly, there is still a 'blame the victim' misogyny in rape cases, which alleges that the woman was drunk, or wearing provocatively revealing clothing, and so was somehow 'inviting' rape (the sort of mind-set one still sees in the Daily Mail).

The only person who is ever responsible for rape is the person doing the raping.

Correct.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
So, you weren't in danger of being raped, just aggressive prostitutes.

If there were no aggressive prostitutes I would still have stayed in my car - late at night in the middle of a red light district.

I have participated in the Martletts Midnight Walk a few times and it has been really lovely walking along the seafront in the early hours as the party goers were heading home.

Men and women should be free to walk anywhere, anytime. In the meantime I will be doing whatever I can to keep my loved ones safe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rape, especially stranger rape (which means there are absolutely no doubts or ‘mitigating circumstances’), should carry a life sentence IMO. 15 years actually behind bars. Don’t care if it’s a first offence.

Years ago I knew two young women who’d been stranger raped, one in Brighton, the other in Bordeaux. The scum in each case were never caught. The victims lives were adversely changing forever. Sometimes crying out of the blue.

I hope this piece of dirt in Southwick is caught quickly, and the victim recovers as best she can.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If there were no aggressive prostitutes I would still have stayed in my car - late at night in the middle of a red light district.

I have participated in the Martletts Midnight Walk a few times and it has been really lovely walking along the seafront in the early hours as the party goers were heading home.

Men and women should be free to walk anywhere, anytime. In the meantime I will be doing whatever I can to keep my loved ones safe.

Nobody is saying don't take care, but your original post firmly put the blame on the woman. Just sayin.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I despise rapists. For me, they're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corners of your mouth when you're really thirsty.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I called the AA, who do prioritise lone women. While I was waiting, the girls on the streets were clearly very angry with me thinking I was invading their territory for business. I just sat tight until my husband arrived.

One wonders how many initially reading the thread incorrectly assumed that you were male and made projections based on that.

Regretfully, I know I did.

Reading your other comments gives the impression that you're a mother who naturally cares about her daughter's safety.

Yes, we all want safe streets, heavy jail sentences for rapists and certainly no blame attached for victims regarding attire, history, time of day, etc.

However, common sense and taking practical measures to ensure safety still have an important role to play in an imperfect world.

Sad perhaps but true.

Fair play to you here for standing up.

Here's hoping that both justice is served quickly to the rapist and that the victim can quickly rebuild her life with the help of those around her.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I believe that when someone is raped, the only person to blame is the rapist. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

lots of women (and men) have no choice but to walk around in the small hours thanks to a 24 hour society and zero hours contracts.

+ attacks can happen anytime of the day/night

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
One wonders how many initially reading the thread incorrectly assumed that you were male and made projections based on that.

Regretfully, I know I did.

Reading your other comments gives the impression that you're a mother who naturally cares about her daughter's safety.

Yes, we all want safe streets, heavy jail sentences for rapists and certainly no blame attached for victims regarding attire, history, time of day, etc.

However, common sense and taking practical measures to ensure safety still have an important role to play in an imperfect world.

Sad perhaps but true.

Fair play to you here for standing up.

Here's hoping that both justice is served quickly to the rapist and that the victim can quickly rebuild her life with the help of those around her.

Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here