Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Woohoo. We are winners!! I wonder what that will do to our ranking as a team?

I dont know if it was just me but i swear our ranking was showing as about 28k from 25k team!?

1st Win, 'udds today, then Romania

I gonna stick in on an accy and confuse the **** out the bookie next door

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I dont know if it was just me but i swear our ranking was showing as about 28k from 25k team!?

1st Win, 'udds today, then Romania

I gonna stick in on an accy and confuse the **** out the bookie next door

Yep it definitely does show that. They were showing as ranked 960th or something so this must move us up quite a bit?

Unless it’s based on our average ratings?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yep it definitely does show that. They were showing as ranked 960th or something so this must move us up quite a bit?

Unless it’s based on our average ratings?

#27113 of 24342 (0.1%)

have they got the numbers the wrong way round? Or is it a bug. we cant be THAT bad we havent even finished a tourny yet

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I guess it will sort itself out once we have our first win?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not to forget Juventus next week, looking forward to that, a big European scalp that would be

It would be good if they could raise a few more players - they only have seven signed up for it

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It would be good if they could raise a few more players - they only have seven signed up for it

Yeah their admin contacted me earlier to say hello, I'll see what the sketch is, havent really cheked their ratings too much but I didnt set it too low

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Coupla messages on our club page, Juventus looks like its gonna be 7 or 8 of us vs. [MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION], and admins, I think we need to try and find another active club to challenge with a lot of member and a better range of grades (we're certainly whilst getting established doing well for being < 2 months old but it's going to take a fair bit of time to get our gradings near some of the more established clubs - we have the numbers though)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Just received a challenge from a Juventus admin who isnt in the game as he's 1980, 460 wins vs 105 losses, this should be fun!!!!! There needs to be a handicap style game here

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Coupla messages on our club page, Juventus looks like its gonna be 7 or 8 of us vs. [MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION], and admins, I think we need to try and find another active club to challenge with a lot of member and a better range of grades (we're certainly whilst getting established doing well for being < 2 months old but it's going to take a fair bit of time to get our gradings near some of the more established clubs - we have the numbers though)

Yeah. we should try to find teams with at least eight players (and preferably more). We need to play a few more games. I haven't played for 40 years and I've got a lot of time to make up

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yeah. we should try to find teams with at least eight players (and preferably more). We need to play a few more games. I haven't played for 40 years and I've got a lot of time to make up

Well IIRC correctly (cant be arsed to check right) Juve have 80+ players but they are either graded too high, not active, or dont play too many friendlies, even though its graded. I'll find some more teams and post back here and on our pages over there

Pickles

May 5, 2014

It's not a case of finding a team of eight players etc, or ten, or twenty.

It's a case of how many of the other team wants to join.

Before challenging, I'll look at how many members they have, then how active are the 'active 30', and then what ratings are those.

I'll then look into how many / how long since their last team matches etc.

If those boxes are ticked, then ratings become an issue.

If we challenge with 'open' ratings, we would have more players from the opposition, but if we limit it too low, it obviously restricts their players.

It's a balancing act, which as a newly formed club, I think we're just about getting right at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just received a challenge from a Juventus admin who isnt in the game as he's 1980, 460 wins vs 105 losses, this should be fun!!!!! There needs to be a handicap style game here

Good idea..... he starts with no queen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not a case of finding a team of eight players etc, or ten, or twenty.

It's a case of how many of the other team wants to join.

Before challenging, I'll look at how many members they have, then how active are the 'active 30', and then what ratings are those.

I'll then look into how many / how long since their last team matches etc.

If those boxes are ticked, then ratings become an issue.

If we challenge with 'open' ratings, we would have more players from the opposition, but if we limit it too low, it obviously restricts their players.

It's a balancing act, which as a newly formed club, I think we're just about getting right at the moment.

I wasn't trying to criticise, sorry if it came across like that. I was reflecting more on the fact that we don't seem to be on the radar of many teams right now. It would be great to find a few more.

Thanks for the explanation of the process and how hard it is to find them,

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Good idea..... he starts with no queen.

Well I was thinking his king should start like so

King.jpg

But I think it would be a good game option, handicaps based on grade (having said that there are so many game options available last thing I need is another one!)

has anyone played 960? It looks fascinating, really one for the best chess brains as bins off most standard openings I can see

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well I was thinking his king should start like so

View attachment 95868

But I think it would be a good game option, handicaps based on grade (having said that there are so many game options available last thing I need is another one!)

has anyone played 960? It looks fascinating, really one for the best chess brains as bins off most standard openings I can see

Is that the game where all the back row is jumbled ? It’s crazy that.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I wasn't trying to criticise, sorry if it came across like that. I was reflecting more on the fact that we don't seem to be on the radar of many teams right now. It would be great to find a few more.

na it didnt come across like that (to me anyway and I doubt pickles) it's definitely a learning curve. I assumed that because Juve had so many players x% would be active, x too high grading so a <1800 challenge would easily yield 16 players both sides. Bear in mind too, we are a new group and despite having 30 odd members, our enthusiasm and % of active vs non active players is i imagine quite high right now, some teams have been on there since the Withdean days and probably have a few Hemeds and Sidwells in their squads

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I'll set up as many matches as you guys want.......

I got a message last night from the guy in Argentina that's putting us into the world football league next year ( can't be now, because they are 9 games in ), so we're in the process there.....

I'm in the process of similar with the Champions league......

Trust me, we're all on it, and that includes all of us that joined, even you! xxxxxxxxxx

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is that the game where all the back row is jumbled ? It’s crazy that.

Yeah I believe there is 960 different combinations of back row pieces though again different variations of the game (ie they are jumbled but there should be bishops still one on each colour)

A good one for those that play in the pub, is swap your bishops and knights round on the normal Royal game. HOWEVER the bishop take on the role of the knight and vice versa. So its exactly the same game just the pieces look different. Try playing that after a few and remembering that bishops move L shaped and knights diagonally

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here