Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Military experts

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ok cheers mate. I will check it out.

My area is Greek and Roman classics so it would be good to read something different.

Read the iliad and the odyssey as a kid , gave me a love of greek mythology.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Good point finally found a positive from Brexit the old booze cruise will be making a come back

If anything, Brexit will make this less likely. At the moment there is practically no French duty on wine (not sure about beer, fags, spirits) so you can bring back as much as you like duty free. The Brexit vote has already meant that sterling has devalued effectively making things in France more expensive, and there is a possibility that there will be a return to limits on duty free goods (as there is from non-EU countires) so you would only be allowed to bring back small amounts.

Sorry to disappoint!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s an audiobook too, very very well narrated too. Now, I don’t know my Rome from Romford so can you recommend any basic history of the Roman Empire? I tried Mary Beads book a couple of years ago but didn’t get on. Think I might need one with picture ;) Is there a decent ‘starter’ out there because I’d like to learn about the Romans. Ta!

Leave it with me and I will have a look. A lot of my books were for my classics degree, but I will certainly have a dig.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The instances of.the italians actually fighting were so.rare thats the reason they are commemorated :lolol:

Have you seen the Italian Action Man? Comes out the box with his hands up.
Italian tanks have 6 gears, 1 forward, 5 reverse.
Italian SAS motto: "Who cares who wins".

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not RAF no eagles on shoulders. Also two different types of greatcoat. Some with buttons in a vertical line and some with 6 in a H pattern.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

RAF had the 6 button pattern.... the pockets and lapels are the same as RAF ones....( I checked a photo of mine) Eagles were on the shoulders since 1918 but i cant see any in the pic so I dont think they are RAF in the photo.

theboybilly

Will look into that , thank you

winter was cold = check (snow on the ground)
5 January 1940 – 48 (South Midland) Infantry Division; = check , he said he was sailing on the 4th January 1940

the only thing with this is why a midland division when he was in Sussex?

I once asked a military expert why myGrandad fought with the East Yorkshire Regiment, and his brother with the Border Regiment when they both enlisted on the same say in Beverley in Yorkshire. Both lived with their parents in Witton-le-Wear in County Durham. His reply was that in a lot of cases where there were shortages of men is where they were put. This was WW1 of course but perhaps it might explain why not all Sussex men found themselves serving with their County Regiment in WW2.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I once asked a military expert why myGrandad fought with the East Yorkshire Regiment, and his brother with the Border Regiment when they both enlisted on the same say in Beverley in Yorkshire. Both lived with their parents in Witton-le-Wear in County Durham. His reply was that in a lot of cases where there were shortages of men is where they were put. This was WW1 of course but perhaps it might explain why not all Sussex men found themselves serving with their County Regiment in WW2.

Yes I did think this, but I’m just assuming it was a Sussex regiment to start with. My great grandfather was also from Brighton and he was in the Queens Royal West Surrey regiment in the First World War, so like you say not necessarily the nearest to them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It was more because Horseguards never wanted a repeat of the same decimation of entire local communities back home if high casualties were experienced in regional regiments, as was the case in WW1.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Have you seen the Italian Action Man? Comes out the box with his hands up.
Italian tanks have 6 gears, 1 forward, 5 reverse.
Italian SAS motto: "Who cares who wins".

:lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It was more because Horseguards never wanted a repeat of the same decimation of entire local communities back home if high casualties were experienced in regional regiments, as was the case in WW1.

This is indeed the answer....it was felt that it was too demoralising to hear/read that 80 men from a village were killed. It was deemed 'better' that one man from 80 villages died.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s an audiobook too, very very well narrated too. Now, I don’t know my Rome from Romford so can you recommend any basic history of the Roman Empire? I tried Mary Beads book a couple of years ago but didn’t get on. Think I might need one with picture ;) Is there a decent ‘starter’ out there because I’d like to learn about the Romans. Ta!

One to start with is Rubicon by Tom Holland. It's on Amazon etc.

It is a depiction of the conflict between Julius Ceasar and Pompey and covers the period when Rome was in turmoil. If you get into it,I highly recommend the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris.

Mary beard's are more technical books and I have analysed them to hell. On a history side Publius Tacitus is worth a read, but it can be pretty hard going. It certainly plots the military escapades of the Romans.

BTW! People say how wonderful the Romans were, but they were horrible ********. After the Punic wars against Carthage, from North Africa around Tunisia / Libya, the Romans took their revenge on the place by completely destroying the city...every man, woman, child, animal, plant , tree was killed, they razed the city to dust and after many years, they rebuilt the city as a Roman city.

This - I wondered why my Kent born and bred Grandad was with the Lincolnshire Regiment in WW1 until I learned about the "pals battalions" and the implications. Ironically his own dad was involved with such an incident (sinking of HMS Hythe off Gallipoli in 1915 - he survived fortunately) which wiped out around 200 men from the Tunbridge Wells area.

....Back to the topic!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I went into a bar in Heidelberg in 1987, and there were old street signs on the wall, including 'Adolph Hitlerstrasse'. An old guy in his 70s (at least) started talking to us in German. I had to leave. A strange visceral experience.

High on the hill behind Heidelberg is a Greco Roman style monument that was blown to bits by the RAF the locals were still very upset about when I visited a few years ago

Heidelbergians must hate those three initials.
Germany's own RAF (The Red Army Faction aka the Baader Meinhoff gang) did some bomb damage in Heidelberg in May 1972 followed by a grenade attack in September 1981.
https://socialhistoryportal.org/raf/chronology

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here