Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robben- time to take action?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think it was a dead cert penalty defenders shouldnt make such challenges especially in the box they got what the challenge deserved.

Don't make challenges in the box in case an opposition player dives and cheats his way to a penalty. Jesus you are old enough to remember aren't you ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is sad, some players get truly vilified for diving such as Suarez and Klinsman yet some players seem to base their career on it yet constantly get away with it. The worst offence for me is the way some players deliberately stick their back leg out as a challenge comes in and drag it along in the hope of some contact, which they can suddenly convert to a Sniper. Its really sad and is one of the worst things in football. FIFA need to view this in the same light as the tackle from behind.

Some sanity at last...............

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
FIFA do seem powerless or at least rudderless when it comes to this form of cheating. I'm hoping that at some point an example of blatant diving is so obvious and changes a game so dramatically they will be shamed in to looking at the issue seriously. How some of these players can do post match press conferences so happily knowing that they dived and knowing that in slow motion from several angles millions of tv viewers can see there is no contact is beyond me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think it was a dead cert penalty defenders shouldnt make such challenges especially in the box they got what the challenge deserved.

They shouldn't make such challenges?

He went for the ball and Robben was not going to score where he was. If that had happened elsewhere, he (probably not with Robben) would have found thr strength to remain upright.

He dived. There are no two ways of looking at it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Can anyone with kids tell me if diving happens in youth football and schools ?

My son only played up to 14 and I watched all his games and never saw any of the lads dive. Maybe it comes later.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I truly believe (perhaps naively) that the governing bodies will address this within the next 5 years, for me it's getting to the point where players like Robben are as abhorrent in their cheating as a nutcase like Suarez. It's premeditated, deliberate and it's cheating and it's sad that it has become almost accepted as 'part of the game'.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Robben was fouled for the penalty and exaggerates. It was a penalty. He's one of the outstanding players of the World Cup. Deal with it.

Uj0yPZl.gif

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can anyone with kids tell me if diving happens in youth football and schools ?

I have been involved in youth football with my kids, and schools football at Primary level for a long time, and can honestly say I have never seen it happen.

I agree with [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] - things like this make me less passionate about the game, and I hate it when Albion players do it. But it took Blatter forever to agree to goal line technology, and FIFA clearly don't see diving as a big problem, so don't expect any action any time soon.

I bet Robben wins player of the tournament. Cheating tosser.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can remember the first time I saw a player dive. It was Ray Graydon playing for Bristol Rovers at the Goldstone in about 1969. I'm sure he wasn't the first ever player to do it but it still sticks in my mind and the reaction of the old boys on the east terrace that day. I was 8 btw.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If officials gave penalties and free kicks when a player is fouled but stays on their feet there wouldn't be a need for cheating.

Play the 'advantage' by all means but if none accrues then award the penalty.

Far more penalties are not awarded that should have been than are given that shouldn't have been.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Robben was fouled for the penalty and exaggerates. It was a penalty. He's one of the outstanding players of the World Cup. Deal with it.

Uj0yPZl.gif

If that's your type of football then enjoy. If that questionable touching of feet is a pen then I'm fouled every time I get off the tube in the mornings.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What I haven't seen too many picking up on is that Suarez bit just before Uruguay scored, thereby replacing Italy as the qualifying club. Put this together with Suarez's hand ball red card in the last World Cup, and he's not quite as unhinged as many people claim.
And on Robben, he's remarkably theatrical and frequently dives but he could have had two and probably three (the third being the one granted) penalties today.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that going down like a big girls blouse should be a yellow card offence, even when it is a foul/penalty

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What I haven't seen too many picking up on is that Suarez bit just before Uruguay scored, thereby replacing Italy as the qualifying club. Put this together with Suarez's hand ball red card in the last World Cup, and he's not quite as unhinged as many people claim.
And on Robben, he's remarkably theatrical and frequently dives but he could have had two and probably three (the third being the one granted) penalties today.

How did him biting Chiellini help Uruguay to score? He is unhinged.

Perhaps if Robben didn't dive so often, referees would be more likely to believe it when he actually is fouled. He is widely disliked by fans of the game because he has a shameless history of cheating repeatedly. It would be fantastic if something could be done about this sort of thing. Let's give the officials access to video replays.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

I'm not really with you, but the fact he might of had one, three or ten penalties is not relevant, it's whether the one he did get was or wasn't and did he gain an unfair advantage. His footballing talent is not in question.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Because refs appear to be thick as pig shit.

Naturally, the body instinctively puts the hands out towards the ground to break the fall if the fall is unexpected, that's natural reaction. Hands in the air like a girl = expected fall and the brain telling the body to ignore reactions and therefore intention.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How did him biting Chiellini help Uruguay to score? He is unhinged.

Perhaps if Robben didn't dive so often, referees would be more likely to believe it when he actually is fouled. He is widely disliked by fans of the game because he has a shameless history of cheating repeatedly. It would be fantastic if something could be done about this sort of thing. Let's give the officials access to video replays.

They did score. And very soon after the incident. He also didn't know that the penalty would be missed in the last World Cup, but it was. I'm not saying that he's not unhinged, but I think it's worth considering if he's making a calculated decision.
And I'm completely up for each team being given two or three reviews in a game, and I haven't heard a decent argument against it -- anyone want to offer one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here