Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
NYC - couldn't live anywhere else.

Places I personally think are overrated - Washington DC (great monuments and museums) but seemed a bit soulless; Philadelphia - used to be an interesting place but some very rough areas close to the city; Boston - worked there for a few months and could never work out what all the fuss was about

Living in the States has given me a chance to see other places I would not have done as a visiting tourist and have been surprised how good they are

Austin, Texas - great music scene and a very chilled vibe
Burlington, Vermont - reminds me a bit of Brighton, good restaurants, access to the great outdoors and lots of students enjoying life
Portland, Oregon - part of the Pacific Northwest, plenty of skiing, hiking and biking - and where they filmed Portlandia
Bar Harbor, Maine - amazing setting and gateway to Acadia National Park

Burlington is a great town! Lots of places across the US that are in places you might not expect, but they are college towns with a ton of young people and really great. Burlington, VT, Boulder, CO, Austin, TX. I've always loved the northwest, I think because Oregon is quite English looking with the countryside and weather.

Have spent time in 49 of the 50 states for work and Bolder, Portland, San Diego are all brilliant. Florida can **** right off.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Mrs M and I are going to Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans in March for a two week road trip. If anyone has any recommendations for the trip I'd be delighted to have them please?

Loved Seattle on a visit to see family last year as well. Great vibe about the place with stunning views from the space needle.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of the places I've been to, SF wins by miles. I really love the place.

I know my worst though - Las Vegas. In fact, it's the worst city that I've ever visited, I had a week there on business and have rarely felt more miserable. My life is immeasurably better knowing that I'll never go ther again.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just remembered another place that was really good. Wilmington NC, & just down the road Wrightsville Beach. Was there with the RN for a few days in the summer of 98.
A GREAT time was had by all.

As you can probably tell, all the places I recommend are ports! I think I've done most of them now, so I should really stop thinking, but this thread has got me reminiscing.

Bing, here comes another, Honolulu, what a run ashore. It's different when you're with a good group of mates I know, but great times were had there!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Honolulu.
Really liked NYC and Chicago, but Honolulu with the weather and Waikiki and a short hop to the other Islands tips it for me.
Worst was LA absolutely hated the place.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Not a city, but a town. Astoria in Oregon. Been there a few times, loved it, especially the 1 time there was a beer festival.
You can't really beat NY for cities, I like Seattle though.

I'm in Miami a lot, not fond!

Miami is excellent.

Lowest crime rates in 50 years announced today. That said, the bar has been pretty high at times.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Mrs M and I are going to Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans in March for a two week road trip. If anyone has any recommendations for the trip I'd be delighted to have them please?

Loved Seattle on a visit to see family last year as well. Great vibe about the place with stunning views from the space needle.

Just got back from Seattle this past November and absolutely loved it. Funnily enough I’ll be in Nashville this October so I can’t help you with recommendations, but hopefully you can help me in 9 months.

Best place is a tough one. Really enjoyed NYC & Chicago I’d put them as 1 & 2.

I’ve enjoyed all the places I’ve visited but agree with others that Boston is quite dull. Also visited Las Vegas, initially had the wow factor but no urge to go back. Same goes for Miami & Atlantic City.

San Diego is a nice place when I went in 2004/05.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I would love to say St Louis, but apart from having the best baseball fans in the country, the city doesn't offer much downtown.

So I am going to say Denver, pipping San Francisco, Seattle and Boston

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Laguna Beach, California. Felt like I'd lived there in a previous life. I felt so at home! Not a glamorous place really, but I just loved it...

Second to that - New York, but only in Winter.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012

Went to Nashville and Memphis in November. Nashville has now replaced Vegas as my favourite city to visit in the US. My number one recommendation is to get yourself a ticket for a gig at the Bluebird Cafe if you can. Fabulous evening of top drawer country. The Opry was a very different but equally unmissable experience. You’ll love Nashville.

Graceland also highly recommended but I thought the rest of Memphis was a bit meh.

Feel free to PM if you want to know more. You’ll have a great trip.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Only been to Vegas and NY. San Francisco next on my wish list. NY my favourite so far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really do need to visit Austin at some point. It seems to contain everything I like in life: good food, craft beer and music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, does anyone remember that thread where someone claimed the US has no culture? :lolol:

Jul 7, 2003
Been to a few cities and spent a lot of time in Florida but Denver and the surrounding area is probably my favourite.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here