Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Vegan hardline communists

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Anyone mentioned Simon Amstells film "Carnage" yet? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sh6zg

Personally, I think it shows that eating using animals in the way we currently do is immoral. I found the bit about cow milk production to be particularly difficult to watch. However, I still eat meat and consume dairy. I've tried to limit it but I am very much aware that was I am doing in wrong in the context of the modern, global society we live in.

Very powerful stuff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So forget about the future offspring, i'm asking what happens to the existing living livestock if everyone were to stop consuming meat or diary?

mass cull and burnt in a pit as farmers cry and villagers wonder what the landscape will look like with no animals, as pasture turns to overgrown scrub.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I stopped eating meat, it wouldn't stop the suffering and slaughter of millions or billions of animals, sadly. I would be surprised if it even saved one.

I do feel strongly about animal welfare, but I'm not suggesting that we should ban meat eating (yet) - although I would support it, if there was a realistic chance of it happening.

I predict that it will one day be outlawed, and probably regarded as a barbaric act of the past, once synthetic meat become a viable alternative in the future.

Will we then move on to sending missionaries to educate the lions?

I’ve never heard so much drivel in all my days.

Yes we need to find better ways of producing our food, but to suggest it’s not just how life on Earth gets by is ridiculous.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It depends on the scenario. If a date were given where the consumption of livestock would be forbidden, the farmers could plan their livestock population accordingly. If it were phased out over time, the farmers would reduce the population in coordination with supply and demand.

How do they earn a living in the meantime?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I genuinely don’t think I’d have an issue if they popped into Cin Cin. Whilst never in a restaurant, I have been inconvenienced by many demos/strikes etc over the years and I have survived. I’d rather people express themselves.

Let’s send some Brexit supporters in next time your having a 40 Euro Hipster Burger with the Frau and see how long you survive before being irritated!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Considering a vast majority of cows in particular are artificially inseminated, this wouldn't be much of an issue for them. But yes, preventing the introduction of males to a herd or brood would seem sensible in a scenario where you want to see a reduction in their population. Currently most males in most species of livestock are killed at birth, except the "lucky" ones that are to reproduce.

You are showing your ignorance there ... there are indeed very few male Bulls or Rams needed for breeding..However the male lambs / Calves are castrated and reared for meat !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wait till the hormone stuff arrives from across the pond...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have cut out all the factory produced , intensely farmed meats and all processed meats which are just shockingly bad for you anyway. Except for a very well made sausage from the butchers and I know what is in it. Preferably Boerewors sausage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors) when I can get it as they have to have certain percentages of bovine meat and pork so you know you are getting the real deal. My Gosh, that is delicious.

I am a big fan of fish though. We can get very good quality crabmeat through a work contact and that with a bit of fresh chili and lemon on a fresh salad...Heaven.

But I have eschewed pies, burgers, most sausages, chicken breadcrumb type things on the whole. I wouldn't say no to a big fat burger on a day out or if I am hungover.
We all know too much meat ain't great for you but apart from intensive farming, morally I have no problem with it at all.

Certainly no time for these activist types. And I'm sick to death of vegans already. Esp the line "humans weren't meant to drink cows milk". We weren't meant to wear clothes, cut our hair, live in houses, use powertools, drive cars, fly....we do all these things. I drink a pint of semi skimmed and 3 boiled eggs a day without fail. I have no adverse health effects from doing so, keep regular, and in rude health.So **** off.

But meat is too cheap. It should be an expensive treat. I'd ration it, personally. Intensive farming is horrid for the animals, bad for our health and catastrophic for the environment and should be banned.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nor in a dairy Herd.

Dairy Bull calves sold for rearing Veal or Beef. A lot of dairy cows are put to Beef Bulls and both sexes of calf reared for Beef..

I know male calves in a dairy herd are slaughtered young. Calves in a beef herd live longer to get more meat from them. It's around two years before they go.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Are vegans extreme?

Apologies if fixtures.

_104493308_plant_based_instagram976.jpg

When Selene Nelson pitched some articles on plant-based food to magazine editor William Sitwell, he wrote back suggesting a series on killing vegans - and was forced to resign in the storm that followed. Here Nelson explains what it was like at the centre of that storm, and how it felt to meet Sitwell for The One Show.

It began slowly. "Selene Nelson is a vile disgusting bitch," the first tweet read, "she deserves a disease." The next, a few minutes later, was even worse: "I hope this self-righteous, vindictive bitch never appears on a byline again," it went. "Lonely miserable (here there was a four-letter-word) with no substance in her life." For a few days the abuse came in thick and fast, as did the media requests - Good Morning Britain, LBC, The Daily Mail and many foreign publications too, from New Zealand and Australia to the US.

In between scrolling through meat gifs people presumably thought would offend me and sighing at the tabloid media's attempts to smear me, I was genuinely bemused at the level of vitriol being bandied around. Bemused, yet not surprised, because we all know what Twitter is like - and as a vegan, I'm well aware how angry my way of living can make people. After a while, the abuse simply became boring, so I turned my phone to aeroplane mode, switched off my social media notifications, declined all comment requests and tried to get on with my work.

What was at the heart of this social media storm? I had revealed an email I was sent from William Sitwell, the then editor of Waitrose Food, after I pitched a series on plant-based cooking. Sitwell's reply suggested a series on "killing vegans, one by one. Ways to trap them? How to interrogate them properly? Expose their hypocrisy? Force-feed them meat." He has since said he meant the email to be "in some ways affectionate", but that wasn't how I read it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46348167

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Apologies if fixtures.

View attachment 102376

When Selene Nelson pitched some articles on plant-based food to magazine editor William Sitwell, he wrote back suggesting a series on killing vegans - and was forced to resign in the storm that followed. Here Nelson explains what it was like at the centre of that storm, and how it felt to meet Sitwell for The One Show.

It began slowly. "Selene Nelson is a vile disgusting bitch," the first tweet read, "she deserves a disease." The next, a few minutes later, was even worse: "I hope this self-righteous, vindictive bitch never appears on a byline again," it went. "Lonely miserable (here there was a four-letter-word) with no substance in her life." For a few days the abuse came in thick and fast, as did the media requests - Good Morning Britain, LBC, The Daily Mail and many foreign publications too, from New Zealand and Australia to the US.

In between scrolling through meat gifs people presumably thought would offend me and sighing at the tabloid media's attempts to smear me, I was genuinely bemused at the level of vitriol being bandied around. Bemused, yet not surprised, because we all know what Twitter is like - and as a vegan, I'm well aware how angry my way of living can make people. After a while, the abuse simply became boring, so I turned my phone to aeroplane mode, switched off my social media notifications, declined all comment requests and tried to get on with my work.

What was at the heart of this social media storm? I had revealed an email I was sent from William Sitwell, the then editor of Waitrose Food, after I pitched a series on plant-based cooking. Sitwell's reply suggested a series on "killing vegans, one by one. Ways to trap them? How to interrogate them properly? Expose their hypocrisy? Force-feed them meat." He has since said he meant the email to be "in some ways affectionate", but that wasn't how I read it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46348167

Do you think I could interest her in a tiny sausage?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wait till the hormone stuff arrives from across the pond...

Yep. Even more reason to eat meat sparingly and know where it has come from and what has gone into it. Unfortunately, as with caged hens and battery farming it'll be the low income, poorly educated element of the population that will fall foul (don't even...) of the terrible deals we'll be part of soon. We are gonna be getting some truly harmful products on our shelves over the next 2 years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here