Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Spitfire Film Sad Postcript

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
The term "hero" is sadly these days misused. These gentlemen were truly entitled to be called heroes. The age range was huge as was the experience. All of them took off, not knowing if they would land again. Takes a certain sort of bravery.
RIP. PER ARDUA AD ASTRA.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
His book First Light is fascinating, it's been great over the last 15 years that these people have been actively encouraged to tell and record their stories lest we forget them. With Wellum and Tom Neil dying last week, so few remain now.

Blue Skies Geoffrey and Tom

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His book First Light is fascinating, it's been great over the last 15 years that these people have been actively encouraged to tell and record their stories lest we forget them. With Wellum and Tom Neil dying last week, so few remain now.

Blue Skies Geoffrey and Tom

Agreed First Light is an excellent read and gives a real insight into what it must have been like as a young fighter pilot back then.

Very brave men.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Can't find the Spitfire Film thread but both of these Gentlemen were featured, a sad coincidence that both have died so soon to the film's release.

The Greatest Generation passing on, there can't be many BoB Pilots left now. :salute:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...world-war-two-flying-ace-tom-ginger-neil-dies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-44895703

I follow the Battle of Britain Museum down in Hawkinge (a must visit for any BoB or WW2 buffs btw) on FB, & they were saying this morning that we are now down in to single figures for "The Few" that remain. Sad news.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Deeply saddened by this news, I always wanted to meet Geoffrey and have read 'First Light' a couple of times. I once went to a meeting in the very building where he signed up for the RAF and paused to remember his words as he hesitated crossing the doorstep, knowing that his life would be changed irreversibly upon doing so, before taking that same step - obviously many years after.

Coincidentally, I never got on with Tom Neil's 'Spitfire. By comparison it's overly padded and doesn't have the same humble tone that so many of these distinguished veteran biographies have so I gave up after 4-5 chapters. Maybe I should give it another go: both remain on my bookshelf alongside other 'Few' immortals such as Stanford Tuck - got a pair of cufflinks made from a small part of the fuselage of one of his downed Spitfires! (he survived the war I'm pleased to say)

I think there's now only 3 BoB pilots remaining now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can't find the Spitfire Film thread but both of these Gentlemen were featured, a sad coincidence that both have died so soon to the film's release.

The Greatest Generation passing on, there can't be many BoB Pilots left now. :salute:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...world-war-two-flying-ace-tom-ginger-neil-dies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-44895703

I missed the thread, but saw the film at the Connaught in Worthing on Tues, absolutely stunning, I never tire of seeing them flying.

Sad to see another one leaving us. We have so many reasons to be thankful to them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Deeply saddened by this news, I always wanted to meet Geoffrey and have read 'First Light' a couple of times. I once went to a meeting in the very building where he signed up for the RAF and paused to remember his words as he hesitated crossing the doorstep, knowing that his life would be changed irreversibly upon doing so, before taking that same step - obviously many years after.

Coincidentally, I never got on with Tom Neil's 'Spitfire. By comparison it's overly padded and doesn't have the same humble tone that so many of these distinguished veteran biographies have so I gave up after 4-5 chapters. Maybe I should give it another go: both remain on my bookshelf alongside other 'Few' immortals such as Stanford Tuck - got a pair of cufflinks made from a small part of the fuselage of one of his downed Spitfires! (he survived the war I'm pleased to say)

I think there's now only 3 BoB pilots remaining now.

According to this link https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/875644/ww2-veterans-battle-of-britain-heroes-RAF-heroes-dying-BBFA it was 8 remaining in Feb so it may be 6 (or fewer) now following the passing of Tom Neil and Geoffrey Wellum this last month.

For those who want to see the Spitfire film, it's available today as a digital download. It's £9.99 through iTunes.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I missed the thread, but saw the film at the Connaught in Worthing on Tues, absolutely stunning, I never tire of seeing them flying.

Sad to see another one leaving us. We have so many reasons to be thankful to them.

I was at the Connaught as well along with Mrs Jakarta. We are very lucky to live so close to Goodwood that one of the two Boultbee Spitfires flies over us every week during the Summer. My favourite ever Spitfire moment was the Goodwood Revival a few years back when it was the 60th anniversary of the first flight from Eastleigh.

The organisers had assembled 12 Spitfire to do a squadron scramble (Goodwood was RAF Westhampnett during the war). We were spectating from the Lavant stand and to have them take off over us was a definitive Shivers Down Your Spine moment...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was at the Connaught as well along with Mrs Jakarta. We are very lucky to live so close to Goodwood that one of the two Boultbee Spitfires flies over us every week during the Summer. My favourite ever Spitfire moment was the Goodwood Revival a few years back when it was the 60th anniversary of the first flight from Eastleigh.

The organisers had assembled 12 Spitfire to do a squadron scramble (Goodwood was RAF Westhampnett during the war). We were spectating from the Lavant stand and to have them take off over us was a definitive Shivers Down Your Spine moment...

My late uncle was RAF groundcrew and was based at Tangmere for a time, he had no time for Spitfires, in retirement he had a huge painting of a Hurricane in action on his wall. His squadron went to North Africa for a time then made the hop to Italy and moved up Italy as the war progressed. He said the worst part of the job was being rotated on to " recovery " and burial duty for the pilots of his squadron who were shot down.
. He said he saw some awful things including going past the bodies of Mussolini and his mistress about a week after they had been strung up. My uncle Geoff was a lovely man, I don't know how much the war changed him but he was always kind, funny and generous. Maybe what he experienced helped him to live and enjoy life to the full having seen what he had seen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Cowfold's own war hero passed away in March. Squadron Leader Bill Lucas DFC lived to the grand old age of 101. He was a veteran of over 80 bombing missions over Germany, and each time returned without a scratch. A facinating man to listen to, he insisted that his survival had absolutely nothing to do with skill or fortitude, merely luck.

He was also known as Britain's longest surviving Olympian, having competed in the 5,000 metres at the London Olympics of 1948. A big regret of his was missing out on the cancelled Olympic Games in 1940 and 1944, when as a younger man, he felt he was more capable of winning amedal.

R.I.P Bill. We will remember you..

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My late uncle was RAF groundcrew and was based at Tangmere for a time, he had no time for Spitfires, in retirement he had a huge painting of a Hurricane in action on his wall. His squadron went to North Africa for a time then made the hop to Italy and moved up Italy as the war progressed. He said the worst part of the job was being rotated on to " recovery " and burial duty for the pilots of his squadron who were shot down.
. He said he saw some awful things including going past the bodies of Mussolini and his mistress about a week after they had been strung up. My uncle Geoff was a lovely man, I don't know how much the war changed him but he was always kind, funny and generous. Maybe what he experienced helped him to live and enjoy life to the full having seen what he had seen.

Unlikely - he must have seen Mussolini that very same day he was killed by partisans because the Americans ordered they be taken down a few hours afterwards. The bodies then became custody of and were later dug up and stolen. It was widely shown on the news though, such grim footage was unusual at the time so perhaps that’s what he remembered.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Agreed First Light is an excellent read and gives a real insight into what it must have been like as a young fighter pilot back then.

Very brave men.

Geoff Wellum was such a dignified man and he truly loved representing the many pilots that didn't make it through the war.
Really enjoyed his book and many others of that period. These guys were true heroes.

Apropos of this thread we were on the beach at Birling Gap last Sunday. A Spitfire flew in from the West, did a loop and then carried on elsewhere, presumably to do a display. Returned around 20', did another loop, almost for as though it was for our benefit, and flew back to whence it had come. Lovely sight, but didn't see any airshows advertised in that area for that weekend. Anyone have any clues?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Geoffrey Wellum was a great and very humble man. I met him at Tangmere when he spoke at the museum. Hearing him talk about his lifelong regret that he was responsible for the deaths of the Luftwaffe crews he shot down but that someone had to do it was fascinating.

R.I.P.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
More sad news today as the last surviving female pilot from WWII Mary Ellis has died. She flew spitfires and bombers to the front line as part of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44962253

She featured in the RAF at 100 program that Ewan and Colin McGregor presented back in April.

RIP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here