Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
My first 10k race yesterday at Brighton, and I must say I really enjoyed it. Finished in a time of 48 minutes and 37 seconds, and wanted to get under 50 minutes, very pleased with that.

Very jealous of everyone taking part in the Marathon, hope to do that again next year, some great times posted, well done.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have you got a link? What a **** if true. I heard about the guy on Grand Avenue, it didn’t sound good.

I hope that's not true, but if it is, I've lost a lot of respect for the guy.

[edit] I've just looked and can't see it on his Instagram account, so it's either not true, or he's deleted it (which would also have been sensible)

I really hope this isn’t true. Or has been misinterpreted or something.

It was on his Feed, it expires within 24 hours. It's still on there at the moment, it's got a few hours to run - JoseIzquierdo7 is his username. He's got three items on his feed at the moment, the last one is the video zooming in on the stretcher with laughter. To be fair to him, his lout of a friend is far more vocal and it might not even have been Jose shooting the video - but it doesn't come across very well.

Glad to hear everyone was ok though, good to have a man on the inside [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]! The army of volunteers are the real heroes of the day, incredible how many there are. There were a lot more water stations this year as well - although the one by the library needs to go. It came out of nowhere and a few people around me got tripped up because other runners wildly cut across the road to get to the water. It's too early in the event for a water station, the field is too compact.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who else has woken up aching everywhere this morning, thought about what hard work it all was and how much it hurts and within an hour of starting work has signed up for next year? :rave:

I signed up when collecting my race pack on friday! :lolol:

My right leg is basically ruined, hip, groin, knee, shin and big toe! Left leg is fine though, so there's that. A week off for me until a gently parkrun on saturday. I'm not happy with my current standing in the league table, so I might focus on smashing some pace into my runs for a while and then start thinking about longer distance again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was on his Feed, it expires within 24 hours. It's still on there at the moment, it's got a few hours to run - JoseIzquierdo7 is his username. He's got three items on his feed at the moment, the last one is the video zooming in on the stretcher with laughter. To be fair to him, his lout of a friend is far more vocal and it might not even have been Jose shooting the video - but it doesn't come across very well.

Glad to hear everyone was ok though, good to have a man on the inside [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]! The army of volunteers are the real heroes of the day, incredible how many there are. There were a lot more water stations this year as well - although the one by the library needs to go. It came out of nowhere and a few people around me got tripped up because other runners wildly cut across the road to get to the water. It's too early in the event for a water station, the field is too compact.

Talking about people running across the road, was it just me, or were there a HUGE number of spectators crossing near them, often at the most inappropriate points? A geezer with a dog crossed right in front of a load of oncoming runners down by the Steine, seemingly oblivious to what he was walking out in front of!

Who else has woken up aching everywhere this morning, thought about what hard work it all was and how much it hurts and within an hour of starting work has signed up for next year? :rave:

Only my legs aching today. I doubt I'll do the marathon next year (but there is a very small chance).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry to be a dunce, but how do I find his story? I'm not on Instagram so do I have to sign up?

Yep. When you're logged in if people have added stuff to their story in the last 24 hours, you tap their circular icon/avatar thing, which will have a pink circle around it, and you'll see their stuff.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Thanks. I just signed up to watch it. Unless we have someone who speaks Spanish I don't think we'll work out what's being said, but the laughing, pointing etc suggests they are definitely mocking the situation which is highly unpleasant.

In the slight defence of Izquierdo, as has already been posted, we don't know exactly how involved he is and it's definitely the friend on camera who is leading it, but if that's the company he keeps he's still a ****.

Just managed to look at it. Agree - it's hard to tell, but it doesn't come over at all well, so unless a Spanish speaker can confirm that Izquierdo's mate is actually applauding the paramedics for their quick response or something similar, this is a deeply depressing thing to see especially in the context of a professional sportsman watching an event in a city whose football team he represents.

I hope there will be some appropriate responses to this post on his instagram account pointing this out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks. I just signed up to watch it. Unless we have someone who speaks Spanish I don't think we'll work out what's being said, but the laughing, pointing etc suggests they are definitely mocking the situation which is highly unpleasant.

In the slight defence of Izquierdo, as has already been posted, we don't know exactly how involved he is and it's definitely the friend on camera who is leading it, but if that's the company he keeps he's still a ****.

Agreed, which is why I didn't pass comment when I saw it yesterday. The Google translation of the Spanish comment on the video is "when the street comes out" which reads as though it's a comment on the crowd and support. Who knows?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I had a brilliant day on Sunday. Finished in 4.32.54 so a new Brighton PB, no overall PB (4.28), but still my second fastest marathon. My post run massage courtesy of the Martlets Hospice was so so welcome, as was the drinks, chocolates, crisps and other goodies.

Felling pretty good this morning, now need to rest up ready for London on Sunday. 2 marathons this close all very new to me. I love the marathon weekend and the support, stewards and fellow runners amazing. I will be taking a year off Brighton next year so will be back to stewarding.

Well done to all NSC runners for both the marathon and the 10k, some inspiring times, achievements. This is me at 19 miles, slightly delerious but still managed to stay in shot for my mates selfie!

Fundraising stands at £2,256 - hope to keep pushing it up until the final run at the end of May in Edinburgh.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-raven2

LM selfie.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had a brilliant day on Sunday. Finished in 4.32.54 so a new Brighton PB, no overall PB (4.28), but still my second fastest marathon. My post run massage courtesy of the Martlets Hospice was so so welcome, as was the drinks, chocolates, crisps and other goodies.

Felling pretty good this morning, now need to rest up ready for London on Sunday. 2 marathons this close all very new to me. I love the marathon weekend and the support, stewards and fellow runners amazing. I will be taking a year off Brighton next year so will be back to stewarding.

Well done to all NSC runners for both the marathon and the 10k, some inspiring times, achievements. This is me at 19 miles, slightly delerious but still managed to stay in shot for my mates selfie!

Fundraising stands at £2,256 - hope to keep pushing it up until the final run at the end of May in Edinburgh.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-raven2

View attachment 96083

That photo just gets better every time I see it :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Top effort all round :clap2:

I was picking up all the times on Strava. Some great achievements. Obviously special kudos to [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] that's such an impressive time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I suspect I may have come across as being a tad grumpy when I reported in yesterday. I think that was probably because my bath wasn't as hot as I'd have liked, and the lovely Mrs Orange had just abandoned me with the kids to go to her marshalls briefing for next weekends VLM. At that point I just wanted a nap and to be fed, but feeding the kids and reading bedtime stories it was.

As I'm sure everyone else is I've been reflecting on the run itself:
* I was comfortable until about twenty miles.
* I think I'm more comfortable on undulating routes as the change in gradient keeps me changing my stride pattern, the worst part of the course for me yesterday was Church Road as it just never seemed to end, Basin Road in comparison didn't seem as long.
* I didn't like the bit along the prom where there weren't any barriers to keep the crowd back, that felt more intimidating than supportive to me. Having said that, I am most grateful to those spectators who helped me towards the end when I was suffering from cramp by providing support advice, gels and water. That made me feel part of the community, and did spur me on to get in under 3:30.
* I'm not convinced I was well enough rested or hydrated in the run up to the day, lesson learnt.

I'll reiterate that I didn't enjoy my first marathon experience, I am disappointed to have missed my target, but I'm well aware that actually achieving the time I did at my age and on my first attempt is very good indeed. I have no regrets about taking part.

Will I do it again? I'm not convinced I will, I found weekends rather draining as on top of the long runs I found that I was always doing some of the early morning kid duties that Mrs Orange and I usually alternate on. So I'm looking forward to getting my weekends back... and my parkrun times down.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I suspect I may have come across as being a tad grumpy when I reported in yesterday. I think that was probably because my bath wasn't as hot as I'd have liked, and the lovely Mrs Orange had just abandoned me with the kids to go to her marshalls briefing for next weekends VLM. At that point I just wanted a nap and to be fed, but feeding the kids and reading bedtime stories it was.

As I'm sure everyone else is I've been reflecting on the run itself:
* I was comfortable until about twenty miles.
* I think I'm more comfortable on undulating routes as the change in gradient keeps me changing my stride pattern, the worst part of the course for me yesterday was Church Road as it just never seemed to end, Basin Road in comparison didn't seem as long.
* I didn't like the bit along the prom where there weren't any barriers to keep the crowd back, that felt more intimidating than supportive to me. Having said that, I am most grateful to those spectators who helped me towards the end when I was suffering from cramp by providing support advice, gels and water. That made me feel part of the community, and did spur me on to get in under 3:30.
* I'm not convinced I was well enough rested or hydrated in the run up to the day, lesson learnt.

I'll reiterate that I didn't enjoy my first marathon experience, I am disappointed to have missed my target, but I'm well aware that actually achieving the time I did at my age and on my first attempt is very good indeed. I have no regrets about taking part.

Will I do it again? I'm not convinced I will, I found weekends rather draining as on top of the long runs I found that I was always doing some of the early morning kid duties that Mrs Orange and I usually alternate on. So I'm looking forward to getting my weekends back... and my parkrun times down.

I'm sure I won't be the first in here to say I know EXACTLY how you feel. The marathon is a beast and the fact that a lot of people only do one is testament to the fact that, for many, it's a horrible experience.

I'm with you on Church Road – not nice. The 'road to hell' is not as bad for me because a) it's that bit closer to the finish; b) I've normally hit the wall, so I'm more chilled by the time I get there and c) there are loads of people I know who live in SBS and they come there to watch.

I also get what you're saying about that bit along the prom. It reminded me of those climbs at the Tour de France where the crowds are closing in on the riders!

And yes, we've probably all been there on the hydration thing. I know I have.

Ultimately, sub-3:30 is a blooming fantastic time. Take it from someone who has felt despair at missing targets and who has had bad races – you'll be more pleased with it over time. I've just learned to go with the flow now and concentrate on trail marathons, where times pretty much go out of the window and it's just a chance for a nice day out :lol:

As for doing another one? It took me 10 years between my first and my second, so never say never...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear that you normally get back out remarkably quickly from setbacks. Good luck.
Yes and no.....had 6 months out 3 years ago with Osteitis. This one is really annoying - only a small hotspot but flares up v quickly if I try to run. Nothing much more than rest will fix it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here