Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More rank closing by the Germans and Austrians at the Austrian Grand Prix

2 similar but very different incidents. In Austin it is the start of the race on cold tyres in which Hamilton reaches the corner first. In the cockpit view you can see he turns in but understeers, if anything he does misjudges the corner a bit too and goes wide - but he is crucially in front when he reaches the corner.

The key to yesterday if you want to take another look is the cockpit view of Rosberg's car - he doesn't even attempt to turn his car into the corner. Had he understeered, gone in too quick, his brakes we'd seem him steering into the corner but going straight on, you could put it down to racing, but even if your defending your position and squeezing the outside car, you can't just go straight on, you apply the squeeze as you get through the corner AND you have to be ahead to legitimately do that.

Even after that, he doesn't give any room for Lewis to rejoin the track! Shameful driving.

Track was wet too.

But let's just ignore that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton would have done exactly the same..

Not when he was behind in the World Championship I'd wager. Rosberg knew what he was doing, saying Hamilton would have done the same is a cop out.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton turned into Rosberg, who was running him wide yesterday. .

If Hamilton hadn't turned when he did he would have run off the track into the Armco, Rosberg ran him off, the evidence is there if you care to watch it when you have time. I think I'll stick to agreeing with the experts on this one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fully agree he didn't let Lewis back on the track and was in the wrong. All I said was, Hamilton would have done the same. He's as aggressive as anyone and that's one of the reasons I love watching him race.

The funny thing yesterday, is that is the most room I've ever seen Lewis give someone in attempting an overtake, it was as if he knew how upset the team would be and he went so wide his left hand tyres where on the white line. Rosberg went so far past the apex without his hands turning the wheel that you can't blame brakes, steering, or even defensive driving as he simply didn't turn into the corner, he turned so late he would have likely gone off had he not hit Hamilton.

Hamilton is hugely aggressive, what Rosberg did wasn't aggressive, in racing terms it was cowardly.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I slept through most of the race, that crash woke me up. Makes the championship a bit more exciting. Can see Rosberg buckling under pressure now and Hamilton walking it. That's if the team allows it.

If Hamilton hadn't turned when he did he would have run off the track into the Armco, Rosberg ran him off, the evidence is there if you care to watch it when you have time. I think I'll stick to agreeing with the experts on this one.

Has even one pundit/ex racing driver/steward apportioned blame on Lewis?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
2 similar but very different incidents. In Austin it is the start of the race on cold tyres in which Hamilton reaches the corner first. In the cockpit view you can see he turns in but understeers, if anything he does misjudges the corner a bit too and goes wide - but he is crucially in front when he reaches the corner.

The key to yesterday if you want to take another look is the cockpit view of Rosberg's car - he doesn't even attempt to turn his car into the corner. Had he understeered, gone in too quick, his brakes we'd seem him steering into the corner but going straight on, you could put it down to racing, but even if your defending your position and squeezing the outside car, you can't just go straight on, you apply the squeeze as you get through the corner AND you have to be ahead to legitimately do that.

Even after that, he doesn't give any room for Lewis to rejoin the track! Shameful driving.

You're right, it was just the first example that sprung to mind where I'd be able to quickly find a clip. I really didn't expect to get such a vociferous response on here! Number of times I've heard Brundle etc say if you're on the inside the corner is yours and your right to run someone out of space and so on. I didn't expect this to be quite so emotive. Just offered a thought having watched the race and then nipped out to go food shopping yesterday!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It is not often, ex drivers, stewards, pundits all agree on something. I don't think Rosberg even makes the corner if he doesn't hit Lewis. Rosberg not doing anything to the steering wheel going past the corner is the critical evidence. Totally deliberate what he did.

I didn't ignore anything intentionally. You don't like me very much do you! :)

Course I do, I just get a bit irked with the constant Lewis bashing, especially when he hasn't done anything wrong.

But he is a tit, I'll give you that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're right, it was just the first example that sprung to mind where I'd be able to quickly find a clip. I really didn't expect to get such a vociferous response on here! Number of times I've heard Brundle etc say if you're on the inside the corner is yours and your right to run someone out of space and so on. I didn't expect this to be quite so emotive. Just offered a thought having watched the race and then nipped out to go food shopping yesterday!

Well, a bit like my analogy, it is like a dive to win a penalty. We all watch F1 for a finish like that, wheel to wheel pure racing in matching cars, and a driver attempted to take that pure racing moment away from us. With so much criticism around the competitiveness about F1, it is infuriating when a driver does something like this.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I agree but it is normal to run someone wide when battling for position. I've never even said Rosberg wasn't at fault so there's no experts to disagree with!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Course I do, I just get a bit irked with the constant Lewis bashing, especially when he hasn't done anything wrong.

But he is a tit, I'll give you that.

I never bash Lewis. I've got far more Hamilton merch than a grown man should have. I've got two bloody flags that we hang up at Silverstone for christs sake. I had a busy day yesterday, got home just in time for lights out and had to go out as soon as he crossed the line. Haven't had time to study the incident or hear all sides of the argument. I wasn't even trying to get into an argument in the first place. Having seen it a few more times now I can appreciate Bold Seagull's points and agree with them really. Just my first reaction when watching it live was Rosbergs run him wide and Lewis has turned in. I suppose the next time I comment on NSC I'll have to ensure I've spent a good hour researching before commenting! Usually the F1 threads are dead with the same 2/3 faces so wasn't really expecting anyone to even notice my post!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think you'll find that quite a few viewers might liken what Rosberg did to Hamilton yesterday to what Schumi did to Hill ( Australia?) Basically just cheated to keep the other driver behind on the track and on points. After Monaco a couple of years ago and yesterday I would go so far as to suggest that Rosberg will cheat win. Hamilton may be a wannabe gangster with dreadful dress sense and music taste (IMO) but a cheat he is not, just one of the all time great racers. The whole Rosberg, Lauda, Wolfe cosy club yesterday really pissed me off. Just in case it wasn't obvious :smile:

I never bash Lewis. I've got far more Hamilton merch than a grown man should have. I've got two bloody flags that we hang up at Silverstone for christs sake. I had a busy day yesterday, got home just in time for lights out and had to go out as soon as he crossed the line. Haven't had time to study the incident or hear all sides of the argument. I wasn't even trying to get into an argument in the first place. Having seen it a few more times now I can appreciate Bold Seagull's points and agree with them really. Just my first reaction when watching it live was Rosbergs run him wide and Lewis has turned in. I suppose the next time I comment on NSC I'll have to ensure I've spent a good hour researching before commenting! Usually the F1 threads are dead with the same 2/3 faces so wasn't really expecting anyone to even notice my post!!

Actually, it is rather nice to have an F1 thread with more than 10 posts.:smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fully agree he didn't let Lewis back on the track and was in the wrong. All I said was, Hamilton would have done the same. He's as aggressive as anyone and that's one of the reasons I love watching him race.
There's a difference between being aggressive and cheating. You're a racing fan, you know you can't just go straight on at a corner.
I wasn't even trying to get into an argument in the first place.
Doh :facepalm:

Having seen it a few more times now I can appreciate Bold Seagull's points and agree with them really.
Excellent :)
Just my first reaction when watching it live was Rosbergs run him wide and Lewis has turned in. I suppose the next time I comment on NSC I'll have to ensure I've spent a good hour researching before commenting!
I thought that went without saying.
Usually the F1 threads are dead with the same 2/3 faces so wasn't really expecting anyone to even notice my post!!
F1 is normally dull, and we don't like cheats. Shoemaker was a cheat, I didn't like him either.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've watched F1 since I was a kid but I've given up with it recently. Anyone with insomnia just needs to pick a Bahrain GP from any given year and problem solved.

That said yesterday was superb and is why I watch the sport. I get where [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] is coming from. The last person in F1 who would let someone overtake him round the outside is Lewis but the lack of subtlety in Rosbergs move gave the game away. You just can't drive someone off the road especially your team mate. The issue is that they've come together twice recently - if that means team orders get ready for plenty more snooze fests.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here