Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

albionite

May 20, 2009
though we have established that the short staffing is a decades old practice across the whole industry (and beyond). i'm not clear whether or not the short staffing has increased in recent years.

Yes it's shorter than normal has been for last two years.

The gossip is go-ahead didn't think they would win this franchise so didn't recruit.
A fair few of the trainee drivers at moment have been recruited from the guards leaving them further short.( but most trains are cancelled due to lack of drivers not guards but it suits gtr to blame guards at this moment)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

The gossip is go-ahead didn't think they would win this franchise so didn't recruit.
A fair few of the trainee drivers at moment have been recruited from the guards leaving them further short.( but most trains are cancelled due to lack of drivers not guards but it suits gtr to blame guards at this moment)

When/If the drivers ballot for action then SASTA will blame the drivers, can read them like a book

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think that is just gossip. Knowing as I do someone very senior who worked on the bid - and is now no longer a part of the sorry management set up there - they very much did want to, and thought they could win the bid. And the did.

Also, I am no GTR apologist - having been told by Caroline Lucas to pipe down during a recent Southern Q&A session, my anti-Southern and DfT credentials are strong - but I would point out that Southern always blame delays on 'crew shortages'. They do not call out the guards as such.

As to the RMT, they have to date played their game well. But, they are as responsible for the solution as anyone. It's interesting that Sadiq Khan would like TfL to take over the franchise, and the RMT have yet to comment on this. This is the same TfL that run their network without guards and who have actively, and successfully bought staff out of the ticket offices and onto the concourses.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I
As to the RMT, they have to date played their game well. But, they are as responsible for the solution as anyone. It's interesting that Sadiq Khan would like TfL to take over the franchise, and the RMT have yet to comment on this. This is the same TfL that run their network without guards and who have actively, and successfully bought staff out of the ticket offices and onto the concourses.

And the RMT and TFL have been at war for ages so can't see a warm welcome for them by the staff, anyway TFL only want the Metro and that is DOO now anyway and most of the stations are under TFL control these days

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Both sides acting like ****ing children. Honestly think we'd get more sense and cooperation out of a bunch of 5 year olds

Passenger Service Director Angie Doll said:

“We have gone the extra mile with our compromise offer, but the RMT has made it clear they are not prepared to negotiate. They did not want to discuss the role of the On-Board Supervisor and remain rigidly opposed to evolving the role of on- board staff to focus more on customers.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

“It was clear right from the start of these talks that there was no serious intent from Govia Thameslink to engage in genuine negotiations

PATHETIC. And in the meantime, passengers suffer. I am fortunate, I have a boss who understands and is prepared to let me WFH all week, but not everyone will be so lucky.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So could there potentially be trains next week or not? No chance of me getting to the forest match if not :(

Not much chance of the trains getting there tonight (if it was on tonight instead) on West Coastway and they are not on strike this week. Trains are being cancelled with the reduced timetable.

700 to Brighton and shuttle buses from Madeira Drive seems a very poor option. Best on offer though?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Both sides acting like ****ing children. Honestly think we'd get more sense and cooperation out of a bunch of 5 year olds

PATHETIC. And in the meantime, passengers suffer. I am fortunate, I have a boss who understands and is prepared to let me WFH all week, but not everyone will be so lucky.

I've just booked a hotel room for Monday night. I'll work from home on Weds and Friday, so I just have Monday morning; Tuesday evening and Thursday to contend with. 4 trips instead of 10, and a £100 bill for the hotel.

I know I could battle my way back on Monday and in again on Tuesday, but I just can't face it.

I wish Southern would just call them Guards rather than On-board Supervisors. It's all bloody semantics. As for the RMT, they need to ask themselves what they are fighting for. It's not safety. It's passenger service.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not much chance of the trains getting there tonight (if it was on tonight instead) on West Coastway and they are not on strike this week. Trains are being cancelled with the reduced timetable.

700 to Brighton and shuttle buses from Madeira Drive seems a very poor option. Best on offer though?

Coming from the east myself but probably can't leave till 7 due to childcare.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

That tells you all you need to know. This is a government led issue. They have gone all out to take on the unions and to impose this new OBS nonsense -no question whatsoever. It seems, even if they had wanted to, that **** Wilkinson wouldn't have let GTR agree to the RMT proposals. Remember that when you blame the RMT and the guards - who will be losing 5 days pay next week when they strike, a decision they will not be taking lightly.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That tells you all you need to know. This is a government led issue. They have gone all out to take on the unions and to impose this new OBS nonsense -no question whatsoever. It seems, even if they had wanted to, that **** Wilkinson wouldn't have let GTR agree to the RMT proposals. Remember that when you blame the RMT and the guards - who will be losing 5 days pay next week when they strike, a decision they will not be taking lightly.

Yet Scot Rail are allowed to settle , I guess the DfT have no reach there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here