Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A big thumbs down for me on the new route. The pissing about round the Steine whilst necessary should be done at the start so when you see the crowds on your way back into Brighton, it's later in the race, not at mile 5.

Almost 8000 runners today and I think that's a few too many. The course was too narrow and I got clipped at least 3 times, probably as I'm a great wind break! Again use the Steine part early as wider roads, allow the field to thin out.

Bearing in mind they charge top dollar for the race, the organisation seems poor. The queue for the bags after the race was a joke, bearing in mind the freezing conditions. All the numbers were based on pen places so of course you get a major queue for the lower numbers whilst the higher numbers were unused. When trying to use the numbers up ahead, the bloke seemed thoroughly pissed off, I interrupted his tea-break. Not one volunteer from the queue's ahead were pro-active in helping the runners and their colleagues in bringing the queue down, whilst they had no demand as the numbers they were serving were yet to finish.

The only positive is it's 3.5 miles from my house, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this race.
I can't comment on the organisation as I just rocked up with no baggage - but the rest of it is spot on. Too many people, lanes too narrow, runners not bothering to get out of the lanes of oncoming runners (or buses).

Also, I personally thought the support from the general public was rubbish. It was as quiet as anything in large sections and even when we tried to get them going we got nothing back. Doesn't bother me personally, but a few cheers along the way does help others who might be struggling.

Glad I did it, but it's far from my most enjoyable running experience...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A big thumbs down for me on the new route. The pissing about round the Steine whilst necessary should be done at the start so when you see the crowds on your way back into Brighton, it's later in the race, not at mile 5.

Almost 8000 runners today and I think that's a few too many. The course was too narrow and I got clipped at least 3 times, probably as I'm a great wind break! Again use the Steine part early as wider roads, allow the field to thin out.

Bearing in mind they charge top dollar for the race, the organisation seems poor. The queue for the bags after the race was a joke, bearing in mind the freezing conditions. All the numbers were based on pen places so of course you get a major queue for the lower numbers whilst the higher numbers were unused. When trying to use the numbers up ahead, the bloke seemed thoroughly pissed off, I interrupted his tea-break. Not one volunteer from the queue's ahead were pro-active in helping the runners and their colleagues in bringing the queue down, whilst they had no demand as the numbers they were serving were yet to finish.

The only positive is it's 3.5 miles from my house, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this race.

My kids were in the mini mile and my Mrs was not at all happy about it. My son got the wrong colour t-shirt for his age group and no one could decide which wave he should start in or whether his chip or gun time would count in the result. Afterwards kids weren't being handed back to the correct parents with wristbands and the in and out gate to collect them were the same, creating a massive pinch point.

I complained about the narrowness of the course two years ago and it's not got any better. Today some of the red separating tape was also loose which was a trip hazard. They need to move the bag tents nearer to the start and randomise the start numbers. People will still enter though. 8000 again despite course-length issues. I really enjoyed it as a social event, so many friends there and friendly people on the course and a good atmosphere with a lot of families watching. Next year, if my training holds out, I'm going to have a serious go at my PB but I'll do it at Worthing. I'll still run Brighton though for the social side. As I said, I enjoyed it a lot more and part of that was the absence of "having" to get a time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My kids were in the mini mile and my Mrs was not at all happy about it. My son got the wrong colour t-shirt for his age group and no one could decide which wave he should start in or whether his chip or gun time would count in the result. Afterwards kids weren't being handed back to the correct parents with wristbands and the in and out gate to collect them were the same, creating a massive pinch point.

I complained about the narrowness of the course two years ago and it's not got any better. Today some of the red separating tape was also loose which was a trip hazard. They need to move the bag tents nearer to the start and randomise the start numbers. People will still enter though. 8000 again despite course-length issues. I really enjoyed it as a social event, so many friends there and friendly people on the course and a good atmosphere with a lot of families watching. Next year, if my training holds out, I'm going to have a serious go at my PB but I'll do it at Worthing. I'll still run Brighton though for the social side. As I said, I enjoyed it a lot more and part of that was the absence of "having" to get a time.
I first ran it in 2003 when it was the Sussex Beacon half marathon (and about a tenner to enter). Was much simpler and straightforward. I like the fact it's close - and next year I might have a crack at a HM PB - but Worthing is arguably a better option...

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Pleased to do it 1h56. First ever long run despite being close to qualifying for a black parkrun t shirt!

Enjoyed the course, was surprised to get the rush of the crowds coming back towards the old steine so interesting to see above that is not the normal way. Struggled with the wind up by the beachuts but otherwise conditions were decent despite the course.

Agree with comments about organisation. A disgraceful lack of loos meant i didn't get in my until after 9am despite allowing an hour for a piss and a bag drop. Bonkers.

Still, good fun though and some amazing times on here!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair play to Norman Cook too. Sell out shows at Manchester Albert Hall & Alexander Palace in London last night and still managed sub 2 hours with his lad today!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fair play to Norman Cook too. Sell out shows at Manchester Albert Hall & Alexander Palace in London last night and still managed sub 2 hours with his lad today!

I thought I saw him. Was tanking along.

Probably helps that he's sober these days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
I thought I saw him. Was tanking along.

Probably helps that he's sober these days.

I think that was the main cause of the split with Zoe. Norm is a fitness fiend these days, she wanted to carry on getting wasted. No way in the old days would he have played two shows and then run a half mara. Maybe DANCED a half mara :lolol:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
20 miles to top off the highest mileage in a week for me, not sure I'm going to make it past 9pm tonight.

Some great times in the HM, that headwind must have been brutal on tired legs.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Ran my first ever half today having started the C25k last spring. Chuffed with 2.16 as lugging 15st around and found the breeze around the beach huts hard going. Was trying to catch the 2.15 pacemaker over the last mile but just ran out of puff ! Onwards and upwards and looking forward to the Bluebell run in April

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think that was the main cause of the split with Zoe. Norm is a fitness fiend these days, she wanted to carry on getting wasted. No way in the old days would he have played two shows and then run a half mara. Maybe DANCED a half mara :lolol:

She's in the gym almost every day. They're both really into their fitness but FBS still has the odd ciggie :)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great running everyone!

Interesting comments about the event - I am detecting a general trend (not just on this board) against events that are too big, over priced and often poorly organised. As a contrast Worthing HM ahead a really good vibe about the whole thing.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great running everyone!

Interesting comments about the event - I am detecting a general trend (not just on this board) against events that are too big, over priced and often poorly organised. As a contrast Worthing HM ahead a really good vibe about the whole thing.

Brighton half has been like this for years..........

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Me! :bigwave:

1.58.53 on six weeks training, having been out for three months. TBH I hadn't even considered running today back in January, it kind of dawned on me as I tried to get some sort of purpose to my comeback and realised the runner emails were still coming in from when I'd entered last year.

For 12.5 miles I felt really good and even thought, to quote ppf, I had plenty in the tank. At the pier I got cramp in the back of both thighs at the same time and started to resemble a cripple. Got excellent verbal encouragement from a guy I'd been running with the whole way round before someone else pretty much physically pushed me over the line, Was expecting that last quarter mile to be at about 10 or 11 min pace but astonishingly Strava says it was 8.30 - the quickest I'd gone all day!

Enjoyed it more today than when I got the PB and certainly didn't mind the conditions although the first mile and the last three were hard work.

Followed you for large parts mate! Was gonna say hi but couldn’t quite get up to speed with you!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Followed you for large parts mate! Was gonna say hi but couldn’t quite get up to speed with you!

It's funny how you run the vast majority of a race either with or chasing the same people. I was trying to keep up with a couple of blokes dressed as bananas but they kicked my a***! Are you doing either Brighton Marathon or BM10K? I think an NSC runners pre-meeting is in order.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having done them both for the first time in the last two weeks I would say Worthing is superior in every single way with the exception of what you get at the end. Worthing was a bottle of water and a mouldy banana. Brighton, to be fair, was pretty good with quite a bit of food/drink and a decent medal. But I don’t think any of us enter races to get a goodie bag so it’s not a crucial point. The running is the essential part of the day and Worthing is streets ahead in my opinion.
I ran the first Worthing half and it was great. A PB of 1:39 helped but it just worked - even if some of the turns were a little odd. Am I right in thinking they've tweaked it a bit in subsequent years? Far less fuss than the 'Grand' Brighton half too.

However, having said all that, give me the SDW or a decent trail any day...

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Today I was one of the volunteers who left their warm bed to be at the subzero seafront at 7am. I was helping at the bag drop after the race and volunteers from different sections were helping each other around where I was. We could have done with more helpers (maybe some decided to stay in their warm beds!). I agree that the numbering was rather bizarre meaning that the 'crowd' of runners getting their bags moved down the line of sections. This was badly planned and should be rectified.
I agree this is an overpriced event and having run it the three previous years I won't be again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We all appreciate the volunteering of so many to get the event on (@horshamite) - it's very impressive especially on days like this. I struggled to make the event at all, let alone if I were just volunteering to facilitate the event. I will definitely be making up my lack of time donating in all these events, I'm enjoying being an active participant but the time will come when I am on the sidelines for the benefit of the crowds.

I think the problem with the event is that they need the numbers to cover the road closures, which then causes the pinches all over the place. They can't avoid having one lane of the A259 open for the buses because there's no re-route option but ideally the whole thing would be closed off between the Pier and Ovingdean. I thought the route worked better today than last year, but I can't speak to the bag situation as I failed to arrive in time! There didn't seem to be many water stations though, and there was a big gap between them. I didn't stop at any for any water, but other people would be struggling I would have thought.

Worthing works brilliantly because of the scale of the event and width of the opening sequence to thin out the field. Brighton doesn't have that without radically extending the start/finish point on Madeira Drive. I think something needs to be done because at the moment it is crazily expensive and not a runners' event, if that makes sense? I agree with the sentiments, it's one of my least favourite events but it's the local Half, so I want to be involved in it - although I've never actually paid to enter it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
It’s not the volunteers’ fault in any way. We wouldn’t run without them and I made a point of thanking the girl who gave me back my bag and the people who handed me water and my medal at the end personally. It’s the race director who needs to answer these questions. Kids not being returned to their parents properly due to badly organised return pens? Race director. Route wrong / too tight? Race director. Bag tent in wrong place and numbering system wrong? Race director. In fact, in those circumstances, the volunteers need supporting more, not yelling at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not the volunteers’ fault in any way. We wouldn’t run without them and I made a point of thanking the girl who gave me back my bag and the people who handed me water and my medal at the end personally. It’s the race director who needs to answer these questions. Kids not being returned to their parents properly due to badly organised return pens? Race director. Route wrong / too tight? Race director. Bag tent in wrong place and numbering system wrong? Race director. In fact, in those circumstances, the volunteers need supporting more, not yelling at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Volunteers often get it in the neck but the vast majority are giving up their time for free and just doing what they’re told.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here