Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This Euro Ultra thing......

heathgate

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 13, 2015
Ok, We give Palace heaps for trying to emulate these Ultra mobs, but this link came up on my Google after reading about the Spartak shenanigans yesterday.... I would love it if the Amex could generate even a % of this enthusiasm.... just thinking out loud.

https://youtu.be/H9YlnHfI4D0

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
You will need a drum..to keep the rhythm. And that will be a big NO from most on this board.

( TBF I cant stand the drum either )

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most people on NSC seem to be middle-aged and older so probably last place to get any enthusiasm for Ultras. Need lots more younger fans (mid teens to mid 20s) at the Amex to get the noise levels up.

el punal

My daughter lived in Madrid for three years and used to watch Atletico on a regular basis. For the ultras the football seemed to be of secondary importance to the songs and chants. The ultra leaders always faced the crowd, never the pitch, to orchestrate the fans.

Oh by the way, beer and pies the main sustenance for the fans? Like hell! Weed and monkey nuts the choice of the day. :mad:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Most people on NSC seem to be middle-aged and older so probably last place to get any enthusiasm for Ultras. Need lots more younger fans (mid teens to mid 20s) at the Amex to get the noise levels up.

In Europe, football is affordable, you can drink during the game (which results in less drinking and fewer people doing it) and you can stand. This leads to a more effective collective effort to make noise and art. In England, football is geared towards middle-aged people with a good expendable income. Anyone younger (apart from their kids) gets treated with suspicion rather than encouragement.

Palace seem to have just extrapolated the violent side of it for their own purposes.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
My daughter lived in Madrid for three years and used to watch Atletico on a regular basis. For the ultras the football seemed to be of secondary importance to the songs and chants. The ultra leaders always faced the crowd, never the pitch, to orchestrate the fans.

Oh by the way, beer and pies the main sustenance for the fans? Like hell! Weed and monkey nuts the choice of the day. :mad:

I get to see PSG a lot due to cheap tickets from work. It's very similar there, ultra leaders probably haven't seen their team score this season because they always have their backs to the pitch. You're right about the weed too.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Seen it all before at Rorkes Drift.

Ended in defeat too.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I second the comments about the Ultras and the football being a side show for them.

Ive been to games in Germany and they are more interested in playing the role of a conductor to start songs. It doesn't matter what is going on in the game or who it is against , it is the same song 'routines' they go through.

I much prefer our atmosphere , yes it may be quiet at times but when we need to we sing up and the atmosphere then is a proper atmosphere for that occasion (such as Sheff Wed)

On a side note , did this video remind anyone of when someone tried to get a Brighton Magico chant going on here ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Can't we just enjoy watching the football?

I enjoy watching football by getting behind the team, as the generations before us.

If football forcibly turns into sit on yer hands and applaud occasionally while chatting absolute shite to your mate/family for 90mins then I'm out.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There are good and bad elements to Ultras. Take away the megaphones, the violence etc. A section in the stadium where it is actively encouraged by the club to get behind the team with as much noise as possible is a very good thing. Some ultras have direct ties with club representatives regarding travel, cluster ticket sales to away games, items allowed through the gates that would not normally be permitted etc. As much as I think PB does a tremendous job, I just couldn't see that kind of thing happening here.

On this board with the predominantly passive, middle-class, one-foot-in-the-grave userbase, I doubt the finer points will be debated with any merit.

Then, sure enough, as soon as atmosphere is mentioned we bring up the Shef Wed game as if it was something extraordinary. The stadium should be like that much more often.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010

And to get those younger fans in we need to reduce tickets prices which won't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here