Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good luck Saturday. I won't be able to join you but I'll look out for your time once the results come through.

Cheers, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully Preston Park but who knows what time I'll emerge.

I'll be running Kettering's parkrun at the start of july, on my way to a football tournament in Leicester. Looking at the times it seems pretty sharp;
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kettering/results/eventhistory/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully Preston Park but who knows what time I'll emerge.

I'll be running Kettering's parkrun at the start of july, on my way to a football tournament in Leicester. Looking at the times it seems pretty sharp;
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kettering/results/eventhistory/

Good luck. Hove Prom should be the fastest local course today with minimal, 2mph, wind. Be popping down there myself but just with the aim of knocking 12 seconds off last week. Sub 23.
Having trouble getting going today. A Ninja morning........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a bit of spare time before I picked up my boy from nursery so decided to use the Preston Park Velodrome to run a mile flat out. I've never run on that track before but it's quite good for quick running apart from the areas where it slopes.

I was very surprised that I clocked 5:22. I really wasn't expecting that. Good prep for the Weakest Link Wednesday as I've got a much better idea of pacing now if I run two lots of 2.5k.

First 0.30 of the mile I was on for 5:07 but I was absolutely knackered and knew I couldn't sustain so I slowed it down a touch and just hung on.

It knocks almost 30 seconds of my previous best mile run, albeit it's a distance I've only attempted twice before and the last time was over 18 months ago.

I'll definitely give this run another go as conditions weren't ideal with the wind and I was feeling a bit leggy after playing 90 minutes of football the night before.

Looking forward to Wednesday, see you all there.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1800960543

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Windier than I thought at Hove Prom and had a 100% race against myself and the watch to get in at 22:52. Target achieved but not going to improve much on that by running 3-5 miles a week. Good to see the missing link down there [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] and shame you'll be up in London on Wednesday.

Have a full quota for the weakest link on Wednesday. 2 ringers added. One 21 to 22 minute for the B team and a 26 minute man for the C team, who will give C a leisurely run in! Will put teams out tomorrow night just in case we get any injuries over the hot weekend.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Phew it's hot out there! Ran eight miles around Stanmer Park then past the Amex before arriving at Bevendean Down for 9am. Completed Parkrun in 27:53 - getting up that hill the second time was really tough on tired legs in the heat. 11th place overall out of 48 but an age group win.

Will be out for a gentle hour tomorrow then looking forward to the Weakest Link. I see on the Arena the page they have around 50 runners!

I assume team dress code will be something Albion related?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very warm out there today! I ran an 18:50, which I'm happy with as it's a PB but it's not as fast as I wanted. I started to struggle toward the end, but I held off a challenge for my 10th place with a sprint up the hill and to the line which carried me through. It's my first ever 18 minute run but it won't last as a PB, next saturday will be quicker I'm certain of it. I felt the heat a bit and I also felt a bit of muscle soreness during the cycle to the park so I wasn't surprised I couldn't find the 18:30 I wanted but I'm sure I will find it next week.

With that challenge out of the way - bring on the Weakest Link relay!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Very warm out there today! I ran an 18:50, which I'm happy with as it's a PB but it's not as fast as I wanted. I started to struggle toward the end, but I held off a challenge for my 10th place with a sprint up the hill and to the line which carried me through. It's my first ever 18 minute run but it won't last as a PB, next saturday will be quicker I'm certain of it. I felt the heat a bit and I also felt a bit of muscle soreness during the cycle to the park so I wasn't surprised I couldn't find the 18:30 I wanted but I'm sure I will find it next week.

You've got to be happy with that, great time. Unfortunately for you the weather wasn't ideal but if you can do that in the heat imagine what you could run on cooler days. The a team is looking really strong for Wednesday

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

That is absolutely tremendous. Congrats hombre. Bloody difficult conditions today. I had to work hard to overtake someone pushing a pram

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Great running today. I went out at 7:45 and it was hot already.

I make you the strongest link on current form, I reckon I'm about 10 seconds behind you on a 5k at present.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A hot and relatively windless Worthing prom and a '20.29' from me. Well I think it was this but unfortunately someone walked off with a bar code scanner and my season's best might be forever unconfirmed. A few seconds faster would have been an 80% age grade so I'm quite pleased I missed it; it would have been a right choker to have finally reached this milestone but for it never to be recorded.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Windier than I thought at Hove Prom and had a 100% race against myself and the watch to get in at 22:52. Target achieved but not going to improve much on that by running 3-5 miles a week. Good to see the missing link down there [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] and shame you'll be up in London on Wednesday.

Have a full quota for the weakest link on Wednesday. 2 ringers added. One 21 to 22 minute for the B team and a 26 minute man for the C team, who will give C a leisurely run in! Will put teams out tomorrow night just in case we get any injuries over the hot weekend.

Sorry, I've not been on for a while due to work. I'm still up for Wednesday night. I think I'm running around 20:30-21:00 at the minute depending on conditions and the course.
I'll run wherever needed, I'll leave it up to you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry, I've not been on for a while due to work. I'm still up for Wednesday night. I think I'm running around 20:30-21:00 at the minute depending on conditions and the course.
I'll run wherever needed, I'll leave it up to you.

Good news, for me.. At moment we have 11 runners and need 12. Big Nuts is checking out a sub 20 ringer but waiting to hear back. Glad you can do A or B team, we can fit you around the twelfth man depending on his time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done Ninja. South Downs marathon today was roasting - not really any other word for it. Lovely surroundings though and great to see a load of running pals. Kept the sub-5 marathon trend going (today was my 10th) with a 4.59 [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have managed to get 3 teams together despite many sick notes and a few doing something called work. I'll turn up early and register the 3 teams and then wait near registration with a Blue Seagulls flag as identification. 6.45 should be good meeting time. It says 7pm start but I'm expecting queues at registration and delayed start.

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] + one super fast ringer from big nuts

The ego team is @Greg Bobkin [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] @Gypsy King

The wooden spoon team is +1 slow ringer [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] @knocky1

The runners in bold did it last year so each can be team captain. Duties to explain course and have final say in running order if team can't work it out themselves. All dog leg runners going last have the hardest run. I put forward A team the ringer, B team St Leonards Seagull and Knocky for team C.

Let me know if you can't make it on the day or you'll let 3 runners down.

Here's the link http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I forgot the most important thing. Which PUB? No gig on at Concorde 2. Does that open just for drinks?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have managed to get 3 teams together despite many sick notes and a few doing something called work. I'll turn up early and register the 3 teams and then wait near registration with a Blue Seagulls flag as identification. 6.45 should be good meeting time. It says 7pm start but I'm expecting queues at registration and delayed start.

The super ego team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] + one super fast ringer from big nuts

The ego team is @Greg Bobkin [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] @Gypsy King

The wooden spoon team is +1 slow ringer [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] @knocky1

The runners in bold did it last year so each can be team captain. Duties to explain course and have final say in running order if team can't work it out themselves. All dog leg runners going last have the hardest run. I put forward A team the ringer, B team St Leonards Seagull and Knocky for team C.

Let me know if you can't make it on the day or you'll let 3 runners down.

Here's the link http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run
Well done gaffer. Great work on the organizing front.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done Ninja. South Downs marathon today was roasting - not really any other word for it. Lovely surroundings though and great to see a load of running pals. Kept the sub-5 marathon trend going (today was my 10th) with a 4.59 [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Great effort...must have been steaming out there yesterday !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great effort...must have been steaming out there yesterday !
It was blazing - even the wind was boiling hot! Great course though - the views are amazing up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here