Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice one! Not tried anything like this before so not sure whether I'm best suited to non egos team B or C

If St Leonards Seagull gets clearance we have a 20-22 minute bunch for team B. That makes you fastest in Team C.

team B penny's Harmonica, Simgull, Bobkin and St L Seagull
Team C Ben'brother, knocky1, Guinnesboy and Mr Blobby

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
The A team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] (19:18), [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055] Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. Person who runs 4th has to run the last leg immediately after without a rest. It's up to the team to select the order to obtain the fastest overall time possible.
We need three more times from the egos in the A team.
We need two more runners as well. One for the stiffs in team B of 20"-23" 5k pace. One for the C team of 24" and upwards pace for us super stiffs providing [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] gets permission. Still plenty of time.

I'm not sure when I'll have time to post a sub 20... As from today I'm on the dreaded 'taper time' for my run on the May bank holiday weekend. After that I'm not if my feet will exist or not, but you never know I maybe able to do a semi decent time around the w/c 11th.. So in the meantime feel free to stick me either the B/C/D teams, I'm happy where ever.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure when I'll have time to post a sub 20... As from today I'm on the dreaded 'taper time' for my run on the May bank holiday weekend. After that I'm not if my feet will exist or not, but you never know I maybe able to do a semi decent time around the w/c 11th.. So in the meantime feel free to stick me either the B/C/D teams, I'm happy where ever.

Cheers Team B is injury strewn and not pushing near 20. You're team A I believe. Obviously if anyone is overly knackered or carrying an injury on the day we can switch teams around. What's the May Bank holiday run? Somewhere around 50-100 miles I presume.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
... and to think I struggled to do 10 miles today. I think I need a break from running for a few days as I have a sore glute; so as I've got my bike working (and have even revived the bike computer that was fitted to my old bike) I think I may swap in a bike ride for my run on Wednesday, and maybe check out the swimming pool near my office later in the week. A bit of cross training could be just what I need.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Am 60 years old and just about to start couch to 5k. Although I haven't run for a long long time I was a decent runner in my youth and really used to enjoy it so figured it was worth giving it a bash. Any advice of any description from the experts on here would be most welcome regarding anything from how best to develop, what kit will I need etc. I guess the days of putting on a pair of pumps and footy shorts are long gone!

Also what kind of times can I expect for 5k at my age or is there a wide range depending on general fitness ability etc?

I took up running at 59 (three years ago), without much experience (did a bit in my 20s but never ran competitively).

I'm now an addict and have done over 50 Parkrun 5ks (pb: 21:59, age adjusted 74%), four 10ks (pb 47:18), and one half marathon (1h 47). My times are still improving but more slowly now.

Key thing is decent shoes (I endorse the recommendation of Run shop in Hove), and don't build up your distances too fast or overtrain - I was out for four months last year with a stress fracture caused by over-training.
At "our" age we also need to build in enough rest days from training to let the muscles recover properly, and ideally include a bit of cross-training like cycling or swimming in your routine.

Don't neglect stretching and flexibility, especially hamstrings, calves and hip flexors (I find yoga helps a lot), and do some strength work for glutes and ankles etc.

Joining a running group of people at a similar stage of development is also good for keeping up motivation - if you've signed up you're less likely to drop out, and being able to chat on runs is a distraction if you're feeling tired or sluggish.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers Team B is injury strewn and not pushing near 20. You're team A I believe. Obviously if anyone is overly knackered or carrying an injury on the day we can switch teams around. What's the May Bank holiday run? Somewhere around 50-100 miles I presume.

Worse than that.......

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I took up running at 59 (three years ago), without much experience (did a bit in my 20s but never ran competitively).

I'm now an addict and have done over 50 Parkrun 5ks (pb: 21:59, age adjusted 74%), four 10ks (pb 47:18), and one half marathon (1h 47). My times are still improving but more slowly now.

Key thing is decent shoes (I endorse the recommendation of Run shop in Hove), and don't build up your distances too fast or overtrain - I was out for four months last year with a stress fracture caused by over-training.
At "our" age we also need to build in enough rest days from training to let the muscles recover properly, and ideally include a bit of cross-training like cycling or swimming in your routine.

Don't neglect stretching and flexibility, especially hamstrings, calves and hip flexors (I find yoga helps a lot), and do some strength work for glutes and ankles etc.

Joining a running group of people at a similar stage of development is also good for keeping up motivation - if you've signed up you're less likely to drop out, and being able to chat on runs is a distraction if you're feeling tired or sluggish.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the sound advice. Will probably be getting some advice from my son on the other exercise side of things as he is a personal trainer

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Thanks for the sound advice. Will probably be getting some advice from my son on the other exercise side of things as he is a personal trainer

Just finished couch to 5k with Burgess Hill Running club under a 'learn to run' scheme (originally recommended by AITC)

Great set-up and highly recommend anyone doing this to find a local club to join. No matter your age or ability, you will be made welcome and it's great to run with coaches who can provide hints and tips as you go through the 9 weeks. Managed to trot round in 34 mins (not that time was an issue). You feel great after it and a real sense of achievement, so much so, I have joined the club proper and am looking forward to meeting each week and keeping myself fit

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just finished couch to 5k with Burgess Hill Running club under a 'learn to run' scheme (originally recommended by AITC)

Great set-up and highly recommend anyone doing this to find a local club to join. No matter your age or ability, you will be made welcome and it's great to run with coaches who can provide hints and tips as you go through the 9 weeks. Managed to trot round in 34 mins (not that time was an issue). You feel great after it and a real sense of achievement, so much so, I have joined the club proper and am looking forward to meeting each week and keeping myself fit

Really good to hear (I'm a member of BHR too but don't train with the club)......it's up to the improvers for you now then :clap2:

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Thanks to all who gave sound advice for my first £5k at preston park, I completed in a respectable 28:19. Enjoyed the whole experience.
Doing the couch to £5k with a running club helped a lot. 22 seaford striders to part on Saturday to support the group.

Think I'll give peacehaven a try in a week or two now.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Come on Dazzer... Running through Milton Keynes at night.. Getting attacked by ar*ehole swans.. what's not to like!

Now you're selling it......

I did a fair bit of fishing on the GUCR in the past. It isn't swans I'd be worried about in some of the grottier areas [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Too bloody right they did. And not just the boys either - one of their girls did me too. My time was identical to last week's (21:01) but dropped nearly 20 places. Having said that there was a brute of a wind. Luckily the Arena mob sent their youth team and no over 60s or doubtless I'd have lost my category placing too.

BTW the new Peacehaven parkrun starts next week and I intend to have a go.

Good plan. I'm on 93 Parkruns. I'll set myself a target of running the local Parkruns not yet done before the centenary. So Peacehaven, Bevendean, Preston Park and Worthing. Otherwise I'll never do them.
So Peacehaven first, see you there for the inauguration. After 3 weeks knocking 4 minutes off each Parkrun time will settle for a minute off this one. 26-27 mins. Anyone want a lift to any of above over the next month?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here