Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks Simgull and Dazzer for the feedback/advice. Being my first organised running event of any sort I'm naturally starting 2 feel a little nervous and the weather being as it's forecast was not something I had anticipated!

There should be enough of a coolish sea breeze to keep body temperature down. You should be fine. Run with a soft hat to keep sun of head and to draw moisture. Beware of getting sun cream dripping into your eyes as you sweat.
Good luck!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
One of my old man regrets is that I never ran a marathon until 52 years old. Never been able to give it a decent shot.
Post a link to your report it will be good to read it.

Is this the same old man who was regularly beating runners half his age 7 months ago? Think there's life left in the old dog yet

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good luck all those running tomorrow especially the first timers. I advise going to the toilet before arriving at Preston park to avoid half hour queues for the porta loos. Hope everyone enjoys the day and has a good race Looking forward to [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] pop up snack bar.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There should be enough of a coolish sea breeze to keep body temperature down. You should be fine. Run with a soft hat to keep sun of head and to draw moisture. Beware of getting sun cream dripping into your eyes as you sweat.
Good luck!
Good point. Put a smear of vaseline or lipsalve above your eyebrows. It diverts the oily sweat away from your eyes. Suncream and sweat mixture really stings

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One of my old man regrets is that I never ran a marathon until 52 years old. Never been able to give it a decent shot.
Post a link to your report it will be good to read it.

I feel your frustration. I was past 50 when I did my only 2 marathons too. Good luck to all those running tomorrow. I'll be at the 16 mile marker and will cheer anything that moves wearing Brighton colours!

Worthing parkrun today. Perfect running conditions. 20:50 for me. Season's best and got me a 78.32% AG which was the 2nd best of the 300 running. Delighted with this but I think the course was a tad shorter than usual.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is this the same old man who was regularly beating runners half his age 7 months ago? Think there's life left in the old dog yet

I can't nail a marathon though. Under perform every time 3:50;23 is best 3 years back. Luckily that was 1 second faster than my mate's time from year before!
Will try again in 2018.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I can't nail a marathon though. Under perform every time 3:50;23 is best 3 years back. Luckily that was 1 second faster than my mate's time from year before!
Will try again in 2018.

But there was that time you gloriously beat [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ....oh no, hang on, have I got that right? ������

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
But there was that time you gloriously beat [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ....oh no, hang on, have I got that right? ������

Forgetfulness comes with age. I don't know what you're talking about. How is your recovery going? Any date for a return?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Forgetfulness comes with age. I don't know what you're talking about. How is your recovery going? Any date for a return?

Recovery going well, just must not do anything stupid that will set me back. Gentle running can start in three weeks. Definitely want to do the Hove Park 500th Parkrun in a few weeks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A massive good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow. Ill definitely be back next year - I'm very jealous of those taking part but couldn't be doing with running Brighton AND London again. I think I made the wrong decision, but there we go.

To the runners: you are all heroes. Believe in the training you've done, drink before you get thirsty and soak up the atmosphere. I'll be there in spirit...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
To those that have run previously, what time would u suggest aiming 2 arrive at preston park for? Thanks

Before 8:30. Don't put yourself under any pressure. There will be queues for the toilets although if you are after a male urinal there is usually a separate option with short queues. You want to be in your starting pen by 9:00 latest, giving yourself a chance to relax and have a chat to calm any nerves. Good thing about warm weather is you'll be happy to drop your bag off early.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Good luck to all running tomorrow, I hope it doesn't get too hot for you.

I'll be entering next year if I fail to get a place in London again. I ran 3-36-51 aged 50 in Manchester last week, my all-time PB is 2-56 back in 1994 in the now defunct Polytechnic Marathon.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, clearly everything is going right this weekend, as I finally got my parkrun time and it dropped the right side of 19, and an 18:59 means I've now achieved both my targets for 2017 with less than a third of the year gone!

What next..?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well, clearly everything is going right this weekend, as I finally got my parkrun time and it dropped the right side of 19, and an 18:59 means I've now achieved both my targets for 2017 with less than a third of the year gone!

What next..?

Great run. Congratulations, like the Albion you've achieved your objectives early. Entry for Brighton Marathon 2018 is next. See you at Preston Park 8 am April 15th 2018.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Official finish time was 3.25 a bit gutted but the heat got to me and 7.30 min miles turned to 8.30 min miles.

Must have got off the track at some stage because my watch thinks I finished a marathon 500m before I did in a time of 3.22. Or the watch is just inaccurate.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
3.52 for me which I'm happy enough with given first marathon and in light of conditions. Was aiming for 3.40 but quickly revised expectations given the heat.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Bow down to all of you out there on the long haul today. I muddled around the 10K with a chest cold but thoroughly enjoyed being out there in my favourite city. Have signed up to go the whole hog for next year (sans rhino this time). See you all then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here