Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Held back with the reins (just) at Hove Park and managed to get close to 24". Saw the Banana got a nice sub 20, the Turtle turned up to get a 100% 2017 out of bed record for a good steady Parkrun effort and the Simgull must have felt his troublesome calf, dropping a fair bit of time..... My achilles is needing a lot of stair calf stretching on an hourly basis, can stand up to 3 miles but may need to get to Jesus. Great to having running pains again!
Yes took it easy and stuck with the 23' pacer. Calf is niggling so will rest it all week now. Well done [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] - great time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done everyone at parkrun!

Not sure about the running pains being great. I know what you mean but despite a week off both booze and work I am feeling the return to running 3-4 times a week. Had to roll the calves every night, lumbar roll every night yet calves, back and knee still not right when I wake up. Loving the runs when I'm out there and the adrenaline keeps them pain free but the down time is much worse than last year.

Stick at it! You're certainly in a worse starting position than last year and still recovering from injuries. May be worth having a flexible target for the marathon whilst you get into gear and reassess in 4 weeks.
I'm certainly enjoying not having time pressure. Particularly as I am around 20% off the pace with no stamina. Plod,plod, plod and plod. Good luck with your injuries staying at bay.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yes took it easy and stuck with the 23' pacer. Calf is niggling so will rest it all week now. Well done [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] - great time!

Thankssssss

0f3833cc-ed63-4e01-91b1-99053250a76d.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done everyone at parkrun!

Not sure about the running pains being great. I know what you mean but despite a week off both booze and work I am feeling the return to running 3-4 times a week. Had to roll the calves every night, lumbar roll every night yet calves, back and knee still not right when I wake up. Loving the runs when I'm out there and the adrenaline keeps them pain free but the down time is much worse than last year.

Know what you mean. I've finally had 3-4 weeks of sticking to a plan, but I am right on the edge of the tendinitis properly flaring up again. If I get my run done tomorrow I'll be over 50m for the week which will be the longest for 6 months (and it's included some properly 'productive' sessions) but I feel like I am going to break at any minute......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Know what you mean. I've finally had 3-4 weeks of sticking to a plan, but I am right on the edge of the tendinitis properly flaring up again. If I get my run done tomorrow I'll be over 50m for the week which will be the longest for 6 months (and it's included some properly 'productive' sessions) but I feel like I am going to break at any minute......

Cheers, yes that's exactly how I feel! 70 mins easy tomorrow and Jan's keeping an eye on me so I should be ok but the injury paranoia combined with the general aches and pains of being middle aged are doing my head in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers, yes that's exactly how I feel! 70 mins easy tomorrow and Jan's keeping an eye on me so I should be ok but the injury paranoia combined with the general aches and pains of being middle aged are doing my head in!

You back on a Jan plan for Brighton then ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Middle aged! You need to see a counsellor. I'm young so no way are you middle aged. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] may be getting there but not yet. Now get out there and skip your 70 minutes and stop moping about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Middle aged! You need to see a counsellor. I'm young so no way are you middle aged. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] may be getting there but not yet. Now get out there and skip your 70 minutes and stop moping about.

:lolol:

Clearly 60 is the new 40.

Was told to take it VERY easy by coach so did. Still my first 10k plus since September though 20 mins slower than the Phoenix. https://www.strava.com/activities/824813258/overview

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol:

Clearly 60 is the new 40.

Was told to take it VERY easy by coach so did. Still my first 10k plus since September though 20 mins slower than the Phoenix. https://www.strava.com/activities/824813258/overview

Good stuff

Just done a horrible 2 hour run. Was supposed to 30 min easy, 60 min harder and then 30 min easy but just had no gas at all. Only bright note is that's 53m for the week - 10 more than I've done since July. Probably find my foot is completely ****ed tomorrow now though.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Good stuff

Just done a horrible 2 hour run. Was supposed to 30 min easy, 60 min harder and then 30 min easy but just had no gas at all. Only bright note is that's 53m for the week - 10 more than I've done since July. Probably find my foot is completely ****ed tomorrow now though.......

Good run, hope it's ok for you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good stuff

Well done. 53 miles! As I've said I am a lazy runner and only got over 50 miles once and that was 50.1 last March. Achieved it many times walking. Probably why I've walked on 4 out of 5 marathons #marathoncockups.

I think I'll take my time in running over 3 miles at a time and continue the 2-3 Downland walks every week mixed in with short runs...

Still aiming for fun on Hasting's Half and Three Forts Full then another sub 43 10K at the Phoenix. A 6 month plan.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2 inches of snow overnight but managed to plod my 12 mile circuit. Part of my circuit takes in two parks and they were lovely. Calfs ache a little due to it being unstable underfoot (and me being a little out of shape) but otherwise all good.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
Jan 19, 2010
After severely rolling my ankle before Christmas, I'm reducing the risk of a repeat incident with these:

aircast-a60-ankle-brace-1%5B2%5D.jpg

I no longer do high mileage, and my competitive days are behind me. 10k three times a week is ample, and with daughter #1 accompanying me later it will be nice to get out again after a 4-week hiatus.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
First proper run today since coming down with a chesty cough. 12 miles circuit in 2 hours through the woods by sussex university, up to ditching beacon and then back to Falmer via the south downs way. Seemed quite tough towards the end which shows how much fitness I have lost with a month of inactivity however better than I had expected all things considered.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First proper run today since coming down with a chesty cough. 12 miles circuit in 2 hours through the woods by sussex university, up to ditching beacon and then back to Falmer via the south downs way. Seemed quite tough towards the end which shows how much fitness I have lost with a month of inactivity however better than I had expected all things considered.

Good pace over that kind of route.......nice circuit as well !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here