Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toys'R'us

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The carpet was fine it was the cloth, which after being folded up in the box for ages, always had big long creases in it. I wasn't allowed to use the iron in cased somebody phoned.

What you needed was one of these:

$_86.JPG

A beautiful, flat, smooth playing surface.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm grateful for the suggestions. However, I know this is sacrilege, but Subbuteo was gubbins.

Thank god (well, Dino Dini) that Kick Off was eventually invented.

As good as kick off was (and it was ace) it wasn't as good as sensible soccer which was, is and forever will be the greatest football computer game of all time. For ever and ever. And then some.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As good as kick off was (and it was ace) it wasn't as good as sensible soccer which was, is and forever will be the greatest football computer game of all time. For ever and ever. And then some.

Sensible Soccer was ridiculously addictive, very slick and hugely playable, but a touch simplistic (which was part of its charm, but also its slight flaw for me). When Kick Off 2 arrived though, THAT became the daddy. Those raking Dunk-esque long angled crossfield passes into space down the wing...oh yes. Come to papa.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sensible Soccer was ridiculously addictive, very slick and hugely playable, but a touch simplistic (which was part of its charm, but also its slight flaw for me). When Kick Off 2 arrived though, THAT became the daddy. Those raking Dunk-esque long angled crossfield passes into space down the wing...oh yes. Come to papa.

Ah, Kick Off, Kick Off 2, sensible soccer, sensible world of soccer. Kids today with their FIFA don't know what real football games are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ah, Kick Off, Kick Off 2, sensible soccer, sensible world of soccer. Kids today with their FIFA don't know what real football games are.

Agreed. Those 16-bit top-down football games were the SHIZ. Mind you, I soon became a massive fan of PES when that came out on the PlayStation. A night round a mates house with a bottle of Thunderbird and a PES tournie...happy days. None of this playing online lark.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Yes! Kick Off 2 was the first football game I had for a games console. It was tremendous. I loved the keepers on it. They'd either make a ridiculous save from a bullet shot, or completely miss a ball trickling slowly towards the goal.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Toys R Us is hell. Oceans of plastic tat and hardly any decent toys. One visit in my lifetime was plenty.

On Subbutteo: Astropitch glued to birch plywood.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Airfix models was my thing. Such a big part of a Saturday morning was looking around in Gamleys to see if you had saved enough pocket money for the new Lockheed Starfighter or something. Luckily I had a son and could re-live it all again. Now he's grown up I need a grandson.

Didn't they do miniature toy soldiers as well. It was so much fun back then. The T'internet has killed all that

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm grateful for the suggestions. However, I know this is sacrilege, but Subbuteo was gubbins.

Thank god (well, Dino Dini) that Kick Off was eventually invented.

What about Striker where you pressed the players head down to make his foot move to kick the ball

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
ToysRUs tried to enter the Irish market to compete with Smyths.

They lasted about 18 months before shuttering.

If a behemoth can't even survive longer than that against a company a tiny fraction of the size; something's wrong.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Didn't they do miniature toy soldiers as well. It was so much fun back then. The T'internet has killed all that

Yes! I had hundreds of them.

Someday in the future some archeologist will dick up our old rockery and find all the ones I lost re-enacting WW2 battles.
Wonder what they will conclude?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The carpet was fine it was the cloth, which after being folded up in the box for ages, always had big long creases in it. I wasn't allowed to use the iron in cased somebody phoned.

:rotlf:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here