Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well what a waste of prawn sandwiches!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just a couple of points of order:

1. Arsenal are the most expensive club in the country to watch. Their cheapest ST is still £141 more than the next club Chelsea, £360 more than Manure.
2. When you say a few years without winning the title, it is 13 years. 13 years of being the most expensive tickets in the land, but only registering a couple of meaningful title challenges.

I think I'd be a bit upset that I am paying that much more than every other supporter, and not seeing a side challenge for the honours. If I was paying average prices for the top 6 clubs, then I probably wouldn't be quite so expectant, but Arsenal are blatantly rinsing their fans and not giving them a return for it.

Brighton fans were paying more than any other fans for the last few seasons in the Championship. Our fans didn't expect us to win the league, and walk out when we didn't.

They've finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 5th in the last 4 seasons. And won 3 FA Cups.

They haven't won the league, but its not as if they've had 'hardly any return'.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Won't happen other than a handful of folk, won't even register on match day or effect the result in anyway, because at the end of the day they support a safe club in a safe ground with a safe future, they are just moaning for moaning sake....

It is actually an insult to all the average teams like WBA, Stoke what have they won recently and they don't demand this and that.... pretentious fans annoy me, No one team deserves more than any other just because of their past or how much money they generate.

Bollox to em

None story.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, angry. But 'organised protest' style angry???

Well, its better than apathy.

They're one of the richest clubs in the world, and as fans, they pay the highest prices in Europe. Yet they never challenge for the title, they barely get a sniff. 4th place is a trophy, as Wenger once said. As a club, they consistently underachieve and punch WELL below their weight.

Yes yes, its all relative, they'll never know what its like to bumble around in the lower leagues etc. But that is a huge club which should be geared for success, but fails to deliver time and time again. Also-rans in the PL and a last 16 exit in the CL seems to be the limit of the boards ambition. If I was getting rinsed for my ticket every year to watch a team stagnate, I'd probably get a bit fed up as well after 10-12 years of it.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I know its not as bad as clubs challenged with going to the wall but in context Arsenal fans are still getting royally shafted by their ownership. Most expensive tickets, huge profits, and drastic underinvestment in the playing side for a team that should be challenging for the title. The owner clearly couldnt care less about the supporters and the whole set up stinks of profit being skimmed out. They are entitled to be unhappy.

But cheap away seats for us! :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, its better than apathy.

They're one of the richest clubs in the world, and as fans, they pay the highest prices in Europe. Yet they never challenge for the title, they barely get a sniff. 4th place is a trophy, as Wenger once said. As a club, they consistently underachieve and punch WELL below their weight.

Yes yes, its all relative, they'll never know what its like to bumble around in the lower leagues etc. But that is a huge club which should be geared for success, but fails to deliver time and time again. Also-rans in the PL and a last 16 exit in the CL seems to be the limit of the boards ambition. If I was getting rinsed for my ticket every year to watch a team stagnate, I'd probably get a bit fed up as well after 10-12 years of it.

Yep, their cheapest ST works out at £47 per game. Their most expensive is £110 per game. F*ck that.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The stadium issue is a funny one as we have now got to a point, with the scale of the TV deals income for clubs, that match day income is a very small proportion of a clubs £ intake. So a big stadium is no longer a requirement to compete with the big clubs.

I can see why a big / trying to be big club would want a big modern stadium, to boost their stature in the game, but its often at the cost of losing the history of their previous ground, which was a big part of what made them special.

So the strategy Arsenal took allegedly in an attempt to compete at the top of the league, probably wasn't the right one. My impression from the outside is that they have always had money available to spend on players over the years, but they have made a real hash of recruitment for many years. Other clubs have spent less and bought in better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest clubs with the bigger stadia actually get a LOT of money from gate/match day income. Yes, the TV money is more and yes, for smaller clubs, match day income can be pretty insignificant.

But with a stadium like Aresnal's and with all the corporate stuff it's actually a lot of cash. £100m in y/e 31/05/16 out of a total turnover of £354m. And yes, I know that the TV money has gone up significantly but £100m (and I bet it's more now) is still £100m.

The shiny stadium isn't just for show (see Spurs new gaff with it's artisan cheeses etc).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Just texted my Arsenal supporting mate (proper regular die hard, NEVER misses a home game), his response was 'It's bullsh*t, never gonna happen'. I guess there might be a token minor walk out, but doesn't sound like it's well backed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the point Arsenal fans have is that were asked to support several years of relative austerity while thier new stadium was built, needed so they could keep up with the european big boys and there'd be jam for everyone to see. then they were asked to pay an awful lot of cash to go to their new stadium. the investment on the pitch, as large as it may be, has not matched promises or expectations, theres been no jam, only peanut butter. not that having a walk out helps.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i think the point Arsenal fans have is that were asked to support several years of relative austerity while thier new stadium was built, needed so they could keep up with the european big boys and there'd be jam for everyone to see. then they were asked to pay an awful lot of cash to go to their new stadium. the investment on the pitch, as large as it may be, has not matched promises or expectations, theres been no jam, only peanut butter. not that having a walk out helps.

I actually prefer peanut butter

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
The biggest clubs with the bigger stadia actually get a LOT of money from gate/match day income. Yes, the TV money is more and yes, for smaller clubs, match day income can be pretty insignificant.

But with a stadium like Aresnal's and with all the corporate stuff it's actually a lot of cash. £100m in y/e 31/05/16 out of a total turnover of £354m. And yes, I know that the TV money has gone up significantly but £100m (and I bet it's more now) is still £100m.

The shiny stadium isn't just for show (see Spurs new gaff with it's artisan cheeses etc).

When The Emirates first opened my company hosted a seminar there, it was October and they'd only played a few games there. Anyway as part of the package we had an 'Arsenal host' who did a brief presentation followed by a guided tour of the stadium, it was none other than Sammy Nelson. Top bloke and I had a long chat with him about all things Brighton. Anyway as part of his presentation he said the 'cub' tier which is the small tier which sits about 10 rows deep, a bit like our 1901, brought in more match day income than the entire Highbury used to. It holds about 7000 seats so there's still another 53000 seats to bring in even more income.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know a few Arsenal fans and without exception they are all needy and entitled but nowhere near as entitled as the United fans I know. Not convinced any of them, Arsenal or United was born anywhere near the club they support though. Bit like me, I was born in Nottingham and here I am a glory hunting Brighton fan. Where's our striker?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I work with an arsenal "fan" who can rarely tell me who they're playing from one weekend to the next.
Have to say, not the first gooner I've met like that. Are they all that plastic?

They're not. My daughter's partner is a Gooner who goes to as many games as he can and otherwise watches them on TV with his (disabled) Dad. He gets no sympathy from my life-long Albion fan daughter about Arsenal as she reminds him about what it's like to have REAL worries like relegation/promotion or simply survival as a club. If the most they've got to moan about is not finishing fourth, then they clearly have no idea what supporting your club through thick (and mostly) thin is like.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I know a few Arsenal fans and without exception they are all needy and entitled but nowhere near as entitled as the United fans I know. Not convinced any of them, Arsenal or United was born anywhere near the club they support though. Bit like me, I was born in Nottingham and here I am a glory hunting Brighton fan. Where's our striker?

Me too. I spent my early days growing up just around the corner from Highbury stadium. All my family support Arsenal or Spurs. Moved down here pretty young and I started watching the Albion on my own from the age of 10. My first full season was actually our last ever season at the Goldstone where we finished 2nd bottom of the Football league. I have to say, even so I chose to support the crappest team in the football league at the time, when I had every excuse to support one of Englands top teams, I couldn't have made a better choice.
From a young age, I've witnessed a club where the fans invaded the pitch, ripped down the goal posts, chased the owners from their seats, walked out of the stadium early, I'm pretty sure someone even aimed a firework at Archer once?. The joy of the 5-0 Hartlepool fans united game to the tension and drama of the Orient 4-4 game. IT really didn't take much to suddenly have me completely absorbed into everything Albion.

This game against Arsenal is really going to be a mark in time for me. With us now in the Prem, with a beautiful new stadium which sells out every game. I'll be watching this game very proud that I'm supporting the team who have been through it all, whilst infront of us, will be a load of spoilt brat Arsenal fans crying about not qualifying for the Champions League. There will even be arsenal fans moaning about how the club is making a profit!
And just to top it off, Once they've marched out of the ground, they'll be chanting for Wengers sacking whilst stood next to the statue of him which commemorates all the incredible achievements he has done for Arsenal.

To every Albion fan going to the game, please don't forget to bring your Albion smugness with you. If there's a game where we deserve to laugh, It's this one.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Well, I've never been called a troll before.

Well if you spend a couple of minutes on that horrible "Holmesdale Online" forum you will see endless bitching that Albion's fan-base are all secretly Arsenal/Chelsea fans. Hence my speculation that you might be a Sarf London troll. Palace fans harp on and on about where we got our "new" fans from (I don't even bother explaining the history anymore or pointing out our 25,000+ crowds at the Goldstone)

Someone else on here said that your post was ironic but surely irony is supposed to be funny.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Just waiting for Albion customer service machine to flex its muscles on this.....

Here is the statement:

We have been notified of a pre-planned protest from a small section of Arsenal supporters during the upcoming fixture at the Emirates Stadium on October 1.

While we respect the right of fans to express their views - and as a club we openly promote a policy of inclusion - fans who choose to protest in this manner will automatically violate our robust supporters' code of conduct. This will result in one of the following sanctions, with only the third option applicable to under-10s or senior members:

1) Prosecution under the Brighton and Hove Albion supporters code of conduct version 12. 2017. Maximum fine £2000 or community service order. Application for court costs will be activated with immediate effect.

2) Full withdrawal of season ticket rights and subsequent full-life ban from the Amex stadium.

3) Membership or STH loyalty points withdrawn and membership privileges sanctioned until further notice.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here