Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] #StrikerFail - who is to blame?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was just a perfect storm of greedy players, failed medicals and the recruitment team being wrong-footed by the general expansion rate of the football cash bubble. One day that bubble will burst (How could it not? It's like every financial bubble in history). The club that has been least caught up in the mania will suddenly find themselves top of the heap. Don't help in the short term tho, sadly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was just a perfect storm of greedy players, failed medicals and the recruitment team being wrong-footed by the general expansion rate of the football cash bubble. One day that bubble will burst (How could it not? It's like every financial bubble in history). The club that has been least caught up in the mania will suddenly find themselves top of the heap. Don't help in the short term tho, sadly.

I'm afraid the gravy train will grow and grow. Other platforms such as Netflix or Amazon or internet giants will dive into the PL mix sooner rather than later, and the huge Chinese interest from an endless list of billionaires has only just begun.

'Top' players and some agents will grow ever richer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm afraid the gravy train will grow and grow. Other platforms such as Netflix or Amazon or internet giants will dive into the PL mix sooner rather than later, and the huge Chinese interest from an endless list of billionaires has only just begun.

'Top' players and some agents will grow ever richer.

Disagree. People said much the same before the financial crash of 2008. No bubble lasts forever. It WILL all come crashing down one day. Just remains to be seen when.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The likes of Amazon or Netflix have the ability to absolutely blow sky and BT out of the water, previously there wasn't any competition domestically for the rights. Will be very interesting to see if they get involved in the next round of TV negotiations as if they do the stakes will rise even more.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
No single person to blame

Who are you blaming and why?

I don't believe there is a convenient scapegoat in this. I think we've made a lot of good signings in this transfer window, and the recruitment and commercial teams have worked hard. I understand the frustrations around the lack of striker, but we haven't yet had a match with Knockaert and Izquierdo at full fitness, and if the supply improves then the potential for converting chances increases. We also have a situation where we could potentially get Tilley and Connolly training with the first team, and possibly a bit of game time.

I'm going to support the team we've got through this season. The club worked on getting a striker of the right quality in, and couldn't. That can happen, but I saw no lack of effort.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Who are you blaming and why?

No easy scapegoat. The recruitment/commercial team has brought in good players, and while I understand the frustration re: strikers, I saw no lack of effort.

We are now in a situation where Knockaert and Izquierdo are available and may get goals acting as inside forwards, or supply our current striker(s) better via the wings.

Additionally, there's an opportunity for Connolly and Tilley to be training with the first team and given some game time where appropriate.

I'm supporting the team we have. This still has the potential to be a great season for us. Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
partly bad luck with regards to players failing medicals, rejecting us, suddenly becoming unavailable etc. partly due to poor negotiation it would seem, and haggling over trying to get the best value for money instead of spunking it up the wall and hoping it sticks. some of this windows' instances can't be helped i.e. Dwamena heart condition, Andone's club blocking the move. but do feel as though the likes of Abraham, Niasse and Babacar could have happened, but didn't partly due to our "pedigree" of being an unattractive proposition that could have been negotiated against, but wasn't, and partly because we might not have pushed hard enough to get them although I have no idea about that so just speculating. if that is the case then the chief negotiator would be primarily to blame

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wages and fees only go up if clubs decide to pay the demands. I, for one, am glad if we don't buckle to the stupid and greedy demands of agents and players.
The pace at which some people on here have become corrupted by the riches of the premier league is a little depressing.

I've never advocated enriching the likes of Tammy Abraham's extended family, agents or any other snouts at the trough. I would have found it frustrating if Niasse (with a very modest PL record) got a contract with us on say £65k a week, when just saying that AK, Izquierdo and others have maxed on £45k a week.

But PB recently said on TV that staying in the PL is everything. Hence the club's late moves for the likes of Babacar and Janssen, who would have demanded fantastic wages. That was the moment even the Albion board accepted the way it is.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Odd.

Strikers with pace and able to score PL goals was always my main aspiration for the squad, stated on NSC, since April.

What were yours then?

What does it matter? As usual, it's pretty much impossible to work out what point you're trying to make.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was just a perfect storm of greedy players, failed medicals and the recruitment team being wrong-footed by the general expansion rate of the football cash bubble.
and a club still not prepared to accept the going rate for strikers until 22:58.

I don't understand the desire from many on here to blame anything and everything other than the club (Tony)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe because people have dealt with the real world before and know how complicated things are?

Refusing to ever blame a key component when the same issue keeps occuring, doesn't seem like a real world application of problem solving for a complicated issue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you know exactly what caused each proposed deal to fail.? Guess you must be high up in BHAFC then. I'll bow to your superior inside knowledge.

If you're not prepared to believe money is the biggest issue, I guess we're done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That approach worked well for Pompey. Money makes everything good. More money makes it better.

£100+m in
£40+m out.

Not exactly the 'Pompey model' is it?

Whereas preparing to spend £25m as the clock strikes 11, most definitely reeks of Pompey.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here