Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to "Ladies and Gentleman"

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough, I didn't mean to finger point. I just found it an interesting choice of words.

I don't think anyone is being pandered to; society progresses forwards as it is wont to do and this is just another step.

This isn't forward momentum. This is going round in circles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember when it suddenly became unacceptable to hold a door open for a female ('patronizing male chauvanism'). Oddly I have never been scolded for holding a door open. I don't just do it for women either (anyone I see who might not apprciate a door swinging in their face gets the benefit of my thoughtfulness).

If we had taken the 'feminist' door holding nonsense seriously in the 70s we'd be swinging doors into peoples' faces now, wouldn't we? Anyone could see objecting to door holding is idiotic. If a woman wants to kick off about it - let them.

Anyone can see that if someone wants to kick off because you inadvertently call them madam or or direct them to the ladies if they ask for the lav, on account of your having done a gender pattern recognition exercise and drawn the wrong conclusion from the skirt, wobbly bottom and jiggly tits, then franlky it is tough titty. You can apologise and move on. There is no need to rewrite the English Dictionary and the laws of the land to ensure it never happens again.

A bit of common sense was what it used to be called.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
This rhetoric of why is it a thing now is rubbish.

I have been involved with people changing gender identity daily for the last seven months. One thing I can tell you is it isn't a new or young thing.

My patients are all ages, personalities and parts of Europe/UK.

I've heard time and time again how they couldn't come out before due to societal pressures many having been virtually disowned as a result.

Some are starting to come out now as it is more understood and accepted.

Still a long way to go, and going purely from this thread if our open minded forward thinking city still talks like this it's further than I thought.

Really shocked at some of this and think many will look back and wonder how people could speak like this.

I welcome this change which many won't even notice but will make some feel more welcomed than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This rhetoric of why is it a thing now is rubbish.

I have been involved with people changing gender identity daily for the last seven months. One thing I can tell you is it isn't a new or young thing.

My patients are all ages, personalities and parts of Europe/UK.

I've heard time and time again how they couldn't come out before due to societal pressures many having been virtually disowned as a result.

Some are starting to come out now as it is more understood and accepted.

Still a long way to go, and going purely from this thread if our open minded forward thinking city still talks like this it's further than I thought.

Really shocked at some of this and think many will look back and wonder how people could speak like this.

I welcome this change which many won't even notice but will make some feel more welcomed than ever.

'Patients' suggests they have an illness/condition that needs treating/rectifying. Is this correct?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

'Patients' suggests they have an illness/condition that needs treating/rectifying. Is this correct?

It could suggest they are having an operation or procedure.

For example I know someone who had a nose job. No clinical or medical reason why but it made them feel happier.

You could just as easily say clients. It's just my healthcare background.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

(CNSNews.com) -- Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...atrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Some Americans also think that abortion is a sin, carrying guns is normal and just and that egg chasing for girls is called FOOTBALL.

I don't see your point.

Abortion is not something I agree with. Carrying guns in america is normal and just (it's in the constitution) .

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Abortion is not something I agree with. Carrying guns in america is normal and just (it's in the constitution) .

So the horrific figures of injury and death related to guns can be glossed over?

I'm not getting into a debate on guns and abortion it's pointless and you're entitled to your views.

Recently looked after someone well into there 70's who had never been 'treated' just as your American friend said and she still felt female.

I'm sorry but one article from CNN isn't going to change what I see on a daily basis, nor am I going to argue it anymore.

I'll just add one notable point that I've seen, the older the person gets without 'coming out' the more physical and psychological harm I have seen. And as with anything one generalisation won't fit either side of the argument

I've said my view and I'm willing to leave it at that.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
So the horrific figures of injury and death related to guns can be glossed over?

I'm not getting into a debate on guns and abortion it's pointless and you're entitled to your views.

Recently looked after someone well into there 70's who had never been 'treated' just as your American friend said and she still felt female.

I'm sorry but one article from CNN isn't going to change what I see on a daily basis, nor am I going to argue it anymore.

I'll just add one notable point that I've seen, the older the person gets without 'coming out' the more physical and psychological harm I have seen. And as with anything one generalisation won't fit either side of the argument

I've said my view and I'm willing to leave it at that.

That's fine. It's your view and you are entitled to it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Some Americans also think that abortion is a sin, carrying guns is normal and just and that egg chasing for girls is called FOOTBALL.

I don't see your point.

The point is treat it as a mental issue, fix it with psychiatry not surgery.

Normalising a mental illness as something other than a mental illness is social engineering gone mad.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
People used to think the same about being gay.

https://moanti.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/image.jpg

Including the great Dr. Paul McHugh who Tyrone Biggums looks up to.

[Homosexuality] is erroneous desire.

From the wonderfully named transphobic / homophobic website Virtue-Online http://www.virtueonline.org/charleston-sc-dr-paul-mchugh-there-no-gay-gene

Very amusing that Tyrone Biggums buys into right wing religious ideology, just shows what people will accept if it matches their prejudices..

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Including the great Dr. Paul McHugh who Tyrone Biggums looks up to.

From the wonderfully named transphobic / homophobic website Virtue-Online http://www.virtueonline.org/charleston-sc-dr-paul-mchugh-there-no-gay-gene

Very amusing that Tyrone Biggums buys into right wing religious ideology, just shows what people will accept if it matches their prejudices..

Right wing ideology?

The WHO listed it as a mental illness.

A biological male who thinks they are female has a mental illness just like a biological male who thinks they are a dog has.

I find it amusing people will accept this crap just because of "feelings".

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Right wing ideology?

The WHO listed it as a mental illness.

A biological male who thinks they are female has a mental illness just like a biological male who thinks they are a dog has.

I find it amusing people will accept this crap just because of "feelings".

Pretty sure that's not accurate. The classification of gender identity dysmorphia was part of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5 within which it states
"It is important to note that gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder. The critical element of gender dysphoria is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition."

You may think it's crap and down to "feelings", but there are plenty of papers on gender and gender identity. Maybe you should read them? Or have a conversation with some people who actually have to deal with challenges around their own gender identity?

BTW it's not a new thing either. It's been prevalent in other cultures. Try googling "two spirit".

It's funny how just attempting to be welcoming, thoughtful and inclusive of trans people makes people so angry?

I kept being told when I was growing up that manners - little social codes of politeness that signal you are trying to be nice and respectful of people - was a conservative value. When are all the foam-mouthed righties going to live up to that?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Pretty sure that's not accurate. The classification of gender identity dysmorphia was part of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5 within which it states
"It is important to note that gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder. The critical element of gender dysphoria is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition."

You may think it's crap and down to "feelings", but there are plenty of papers on gender and gender identity. Maybe you should read them? Or have a conversation with some people who actually have to deal with challenges around their own gender identity?

BTW it's not a new thing either. It's been prevalent in other cultures. Try googling "two spirit".

I'm not sure I trust these "papers" anymore given the current moronic nature of liberal mindsets permeating through universities.

What were once seats of learning are now seats of stupidity. Any organisation that offers "gender studies" as a legitimate course I dismiss as an institution of low standing.

If a man thinks he's a cow he's mad, if a man thinks he's a woman he's mad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here