Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London mayor considers pay-per-mile road pricing and ban on new parking

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If the money is then used to improve the public transport then I'm all for it.
Does he take public transport to work or chauffeured around 1 per car in a large polluting diesel saloon like most diplomats?

hack

Feb 24, 2009
Renault has an electric Kangoo for well under £20k. Still a bit small for most, but a start...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They're used primarily for ferrying people around but modern purpose built tram systems work brilliantly and way better than buses.
Do they also work well when sharing space with cars and buses, as I assume there's no room for separate lanes in our little city?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do they also work well when sharing space with cars and buses, as I assume there's no room for separate lanes in our little city?

in Brighton a tram would be a good idea for wide thoroughfares into the center: London road, Lewes road and the A259. you could terminate at park and rides at the edge of the city. but then, they could do that with a bus service. im not sure why trams are better than buses, they do seem to work better, just dont see why that is. maybe its a psychological thing? or just because they are given priority over all other traffic (could be done for buses)

in London... not sure it would work so much, already have the underground covering major routes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Im not necessarily saying this is the answer but something needs to give. Take Brighton for example, the city centre is utter chaos at weekends and the problem seems to be more to do with buses clogging up, chocking up, and swinging out from every visible angle and numerous buses all trying to stop at the same bus stop. If ever there was an example for needing trams Brighton is it.

Totally agree HT.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Im not necessarily saying this is the answer but something needs to give. Take Brighton for example, the city centre is utter chaos at weekends and the problem seems to be more to do with buses clogging up, chocking up, and swinging out from every visible angle and numerous buses all trying to stop at the same bus stop. If ever there was an example for needing trams Brighton is it.

I should say the majority of the "Greater Brighton Area" is what I would describe as suburban therefore more property with parking which leads to more cars per household heading into Brighton coupled with day trippers creates a perfect storm every time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Don't agree. For every bus in the city, there would need to be two trams - or one double-length tram. With the amount of buses there are in the city centre (and the real problem is cars in bus-only routes), nothing would change.

At least buses can overtake at many points, rather than waiting for an overtaking line.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think it needs the will of the locals as well. I just know the minute you mention anything relating to changing road access car drivers will start moaning about their birth right to drive and park when and where they want.

This is a more pertinent point.

When the Greens were in office, the number of people howling about them ruining everything for drivers in the city was in direct inverse proportion to how much they did actually ruin everything for drivers. It's less so for Labour, but the issue remains the same.

I still know some people who are appalled - APPALLED - that they cannot park right outside Marks & Spencer in Western Road to do their shopping. Really. (They could once - but probably the last time was around 40-50 years ago).

They're used primarily for ferrying people around but modern purpose built tram systems work brilliantly and way better than buses.

But look at the statistics. In 2014, 25 million passenger journeys were made by train in Greater Manchester. Buses carried 225 million passengers. And trams took 30 million.

Any local transport system is going to depend very heavily on buses. Even if the trams are good.

This is a more pertinent point.

When the Greens were in office, the number of people howling about them ruining everything for drivers in the city was in direct inverse proportion to how much they did actually ruin everything for drivers. It's less so for Labour, but the issue remains the same.

I still know some people who are appalled - APPALLED - that they cannot park right outside Marks & Spencer in Western Road to do their shopping. Really. (They could once - but probably the last time was around 40-50 years ago).

When the section of Western Road immediately in front of Marks and Spencer was made buses, taxis and cycles only, one of the strongest supporters of the change was the manager of M&S.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

As far as I can see, B&H council's attitude to transport is pretty much the same, whether it's being run by the Greens, Labour or Tories. I'm not quite sure why the Greens get so much flak when other councils have introduced cycle lanes, parking zones, road restrictions etc

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I am sure Brighton did have trams in the past. Not sure why the were removed from service.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On the subject of the current Mayor, he isn't the best but when certain other parties put up an horrendous candidate (and deliberately fail to support them seriously) he wasn't going anywhere last election.

It very works in the current regimes interest NOT to have a strong Conservative Mayor because anyone competent (and "liberal" because you have to be as Mayor) would be a threat to current PM.

Johnson isn't that stupid.

The political chatter has said for a while that the Conservatives have "given up" on London. They very much have so all the time a former Mayor is PM.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The thing with London is it’s effectively a separate country within a country it can and has made public travel either free or at Substantially reduced rates as such it can adopt pay per mile and no new parking

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The thing with London is it’s effectively a separate country within a country it can and has made public travel either free or at Substantially reduced rates as such it can adopt pay per mile and no new parking

Your piece is missing the point that no bugger can move over 30mph without coming to a sodding halt again:)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here