Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot? part 2

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Derby have lost 1 and drawn 2 of their last 4. Since the transfer window speculation has started it seems to have destabilised the team. Too far back now, they're gonna blow it the derby way.

Reading concern me but I just cannot see them sustaining current form.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Said Reading the last time, I'll say Reading again. Have seen no reason to change my mind, they're the most consistent of the challengers and they remind me of us last year (not big enough squad, not played the big teams yet, can't sustain this run, blah, blah). I'd bet on them making top 3

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People have mentioned that only us hitting problems can stop us, and that gets more and more true as the games go by. None of the teams looks like that big a threat now, the biggest danger I guess is the threat of injuries.

Given that the transfer window has just opened, we now have the chance to ensure even a couple of injuries can't stop us. With Kayal and Rosenior due back, I think we have strength in depth everywhere except for the competition for Sam, so that still looks like the place to strengthen.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Said Reading the last time, I'll say Reading again. Have seen no reason to change my mind, they're the most consistent of the challengers and they remind me of us last year (not big enough squad, not played the big teams yet, can't sustain this run, blah, blah). I'd bet on them making top 3

Exactly. Underestimate them at your peril. To come back from 2-0 down away from home with only 20 minutes remaining isn't a trivial thing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I said Norwich when they were pony, and I still think Norwich. They are about to climb just as Newcastle are about to stutter without Shelvey and the African Nations coming up.

Reading might just maintain their threat but I think Leeds will struggle to keep with them (much as I admire Gary Monk).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Still rather wait until the January window is out of the way but you have to admire Reading, Huddersfield & Leeds and one defeat won't stop Derby's charge. It's tighter than it first appears.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Derby have lost 1 and drawn 2 of their last 4. Since the transfer window speculation has started it seems to have destabilised the team. Too far back now, they're gonna blow it the derby way.

Reading are away at Derby on the 21st and that will be an interesting one. I've got it down as a Derby win but I still don't think that will impact on Reading taking 3rd spot. If Reading were to win that though it could really throw the cat amongst the pigeons

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading are away at Derby on the 21st and that will be an interesting one. I've got it down as a Derby win but I still don't think that will impact on Reading taking 3rd spot. If Reading were to win that though it could really throw the cat amongst the pigeons

Ahead of that, both Reading (v QPR) and Leeds (v Derby) get to play before our fixture at Preston.

Two home wins there will put the pressure on both us and Newcastle.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The peloton are being remarkably resilient. Our form is the best in the entire football league and we still aren't widening the gap. Not counting my chickens yet, but hopeful. Expected reading to fall back, Leeds and Hudds over achieving. If anyone keeps this form going it looks like reading.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
At the risk of being hosed here's an early run out of predictor. Really difficult to be objective with our results but done it with half an eye on what's needed.

It's dynamic ... meaning it is allowed to change :)

End column (89) is how many points a team can drop and still make what is likely to be a good number for auto .. if it's more than 89 all the better I think ???

No Derby (84) or Narch (82)

I generally get about 50% correct but the way in which they fall means they often cancel out ... so a win becoming a loss is negated by a loss becoming a win elsewhere. Also the overall points at this stage are generally 4-10 too high

If anyone wants the spreadsheet to play then PM me an email add (don't think I can put up here)

Football.JPG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thursday 12th January 2017
Reading V Queens Park Rangers

Friday 13th January 2017
Leeds United V Derby County

Saturday 14th January 2017
Bristol City V Cardiff City
Birmingham City V Nottingham Forest
Burton Albion V Wigan Athletic
Fulham V Barnsley
Ipswich Town V Blackburn Rovers
Preston North End V Brighton & Hove Albion
Rotherham United V Norwich City
Sheffield Wednesday V Huddersfield Town
Wolverhampton Wanderers V Aston Villa

Monday 16th January 2017
Brentford V Newcastle United

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Exactly. Underestimate them at your peril. To come back from 2-0 down away from home with only 20 minutes remaining isn't a trivial thing.

I went for Reading last time, and what followed was an interesting debate (and a heavy 5-0 drubbing vs Fulham that got me thinking they'd been a bad call). But several matches on, and they just keep hanging in there. They're still the closest challenger, and have been the closest match for us over the last 10 games in terms of points scored. Their game in hand vs Fulham is probably a tricky one where we can hope they drop points. I suspect Reading will continue to drop points vs other teams in and around the play off places.

From here, I now fully agree with others that the only real opposition we face is ourselves. A few have mentioned the cautionary history of Burnley's run last season, but I think it's important to remember that we're now a few games beyond the point where Burnley started their run (so in reality, any team that wants to overhaul us now should need to do *better* than Burnley did last season). More importantly, I only see 3 teams that are likely to be capable of such a sustained run. Us, Newcastle, and Derby. And even Derby I'm not sure of - those dropped points vs Norwich are costly, putting them 14 points behind and us a game-in-hand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm chuckling heartily at the pictures used to describe Sheffield Wednesday and even more so, Reading. Great work [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION]. :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rotherham came from 3-0 down away to Derby last season, with 7 minutes remaining. There, so Reading are no better than Rotherham :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm chuckling heartily at the pictures used to describe Sheffield Wednesday and even more so, Reading. Great work [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION]. :lolol:

I can't see the pictures or the points totals. Is there a version in a more readable size?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Reading for me
Looking at the top 10, all of them could potentially get 100+ points and steamroller the division but on current performance it's only us who would get that many. More realistically only us and Toon get over 90 (plus Reading if the win thier game in hand).
TeamPPtsPPGMax possprojected
Brighton24542.25120104
Newcastle United25522.0811596
Reading24461.9211288
Huddersfield Town25461.8410985
Leeds United25451.8010883
Sheffield Wednesday25421.6810577
Derby County25401.6010374
Barnsley25381.5210170
Norwich City25371.4810068
Fulham24361.5010269

Paying the bills