Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In The Dark: Investigation into a child abduction over 20 years ago. The reporter had to change tack half way through the series when the murderer was finally identified. But the piecing together of evidence and shocking revelations of police incompetence and complacency are well worth listening to .

The Magic Sponge. It's childish, laddish but for me works. Jimmy Bullard is very Marmite, his loveable cockney geezer routine will surely grate with some, but there are enough tales of the dressing room from ex-players to keep you entertained. Rob Beckett chortles like a hyaena and Ian Smith is very dull, but overall it works.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Never understood what a podcast is so don't know how to listen, but I have subscribed youtube channels and regularly watch stuff on that - usually albion and game of thrones related.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never understood what a podcast is so don't know how to listen, but I have subscribed youtube channels and regularly watch stuff on that - usually albion and game of thrones related.
A podcast is whatever you want it to be.
It's probably fair to say they began life a highlights of favourite TV/radio programmes, made popular due to not stop having to stop for news, weather, traffic and for licensing reasons music.

Most if not all mentioned in this thread are available through I-Tunes, from where you can transfer them to your device of choice..

Whatever your 'thing' is, they'll be a podcast on it, just search on I-Tunes.

The obvious starter would be Albion Roar.
Perhaps football in general, Football Weekly.
I likes Danny Baker how about his 5 live show with no interruptions.

and so on.

You name it, anything you'd like to listen to, someone on here will be able to point you in the direction of a decent podcast.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Bugle is back with a bang, can't wait for this week!

I've been loving Athletico Mince, Bob Mortimor and his mate talking about nonsense and very occasionally football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've been loving Athletico Mince, Bob Mortimor and his mate talking about nonsense and very occasionally football.
I've given Mince a couple of listens and IMHO it's bollox!

Sadly for The Bugle I think we're getting too much of an insight into how Andy's mind works - which is troubling.
His skits are a long long way from the days of The Bugle being in the prime of f***eulogy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I likes Danny Baker how about his 5 live show with no interruptions.

I like the show, but I find the background music a CONSTANT irritant. Just let the anecdotes flow, we really don't NEED a baking track to each tale, it actually makes them tricky to hear properly sometimes.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've given Mince a couple of listens and IMHO it's bollox!

Sadly for The Bugle I think we're getting too much of an insight into how Andy's mind works - which is troubling.
His skits are a long long way from the days of The Bugle being in the prime of f***eulogy.

I really don't like the skits at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really don't like the skits at all.
Deffo, If I remember rightly they were becoming a thing when John was struggling to find the time, sadly they haven't gone now they're not needed.

My highlight of this week was Wyatt Cenac's impersonation of John, I was genuinely laughing out loud.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The Albion, finally, had their praises sung on today;s Guardian Football Weekly with AC Jimbo.

One of their regular reporters/contributors is a Norwich fan and watched our last 2 games.

Unsurprisingly he was seriously impressed by the team, picking out the Duffy business, in particular.

I think it was the first bit of non international chat.
I nearly chucked my iPhone across the train carriage when listening to the pod that immediately followed the Norwich hammering - when they'd finally gotten onto mentioning the Championship (with me virtually rubbing my hands in anticipation), AC Jimbo goes, "Newcastle beat [whoever] to stay in pole position, whilst two of their nearest rivals, Norwich and Huddersfield, both lost 5-0", somehow failing to mention that Albion (second placed even before that round of games) were responsible for dishing out the most notable of those 5-0's!

Thank god they made amends this week, no surprise it was Paul McInnes, the best of the regular guests by far.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Only got into listening to them myself recently despite having had a smart phone a fair while. Recommended, so much interesting stuff out there.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Loving Athletico Mince- gets better and better. The Gangs of the EPL skit is hilarious- the Youtube cartoon someone has made of it is brilliant as well. Worth googling

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
A podcast is whatever you want it to be.
It's probably fair to say they began life a highlights of favourite TV/radio programmes, made popular due to not stop having to stop for news, weather, traffic and for licensing reasons music.

Most if not all mentioned in this thread are available through I-Tunes, from where you can transfer them to your device of choice.

That's a reasonable assumption - but not actually true. The concept with initially suggested by Dave Winer (scripting.com) as 'enclosures' to RSS feeds, although it could be any type of file (such as video, jpg, pdf etc.) so content can be 'subscribed' to, and automatically received by a consumer after publication. This concept was first realised by Adam Curry in 2003/2004 to solve the issue of getting episodic radio type shows onto the iPods belonging the his (and others') audiences.

You may remember wt that time that iPods didn't have Wi-Fi or cell connectivity and were designed for music tracks, so there was no way of automatically putting audio content on it other than mp3 files copies of CDs or mp3 files obtained otherwise. Adam Curry's podcasts Applescript for iTunes solved this problem on iPods, hence the name.

Apple officially supported it's own directory of podcasts in 2005 and built in a default way to subscribe.

Nowadays there's no real reason to call them podcasts as there's a wide variety of ways to receive such content, including the default podcasts app on the iPhone. Other apps such as Overcast are available, that has it's own directory but as with iTunes as long as you know the RSS 'feed' anyone can publish a podcast as these directories are only required for wide exposure.

But the name has stuck and also the underlying method of distribution (RSS enclosures) has stuck since no one 'owns' the method anyone can publish one, meaning the content producers can control their own distribution (not Apple or whoever...).

BBC radio and others jumped on the bandwagon from early on, but now distribute only a section, otherwise hoping people use its own apps (e.g. only making them listenable for a certain period).

Big call out from me for Albion Roar - one of my favourites.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FYI for all you fans of Desert Island Discs.

A massive 3 hour 75th birthday retrospective has just popped up on my feed.

Along with David Beckham's edition, from this week.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've converted to podcasts having been bored shitless by analogue radio in the car. It should mean that I'll never suffer Buglecunt Moyles's drivel ever again.

I'm working through Athletico Mince and next will be Angelos & Barry. The back catalogue of Stanhope looks long enough to keep me going for months.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Some recent finds:

The Beef and Dairy Network podcast, once monthly a comedy podcast for those involved or just interested in the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

The Orbiting Human Circus, a surrealist story/variety podcast written by Julian Koster from Neutral Milk Hotel.

I really recommend the above two.

The Darkest Night a surreal horror story podcast.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some recent finds:

The Beef and Dairy Network podcast, once monthly a comedy podcast for those involved or just interested in the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

The Orbiting Human Circus, a surrealist story/variety podcast written by Julian Koster from Neutral Milk Hotel.

I really recommend the above two.

The Darkest Night a surreal horror story podcast.
Wow, The Beef and Dairy Network podcast.
I'm not sure if I search that whether I'll get a podcast or a picture of Nelson Muntz pointing and saying 'haha'.

Oh and recently I've started listening to:-

Presidents are People Too

As you'd expect it's a look at the more mundane lives of American President's.
Pretty good if you likes your history view side-on.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm currently exclusively on:

Empire movie podcast
Not the top 20
Guardian Football Weekly
Sam Harris waking up
In Our Time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here