Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meditation - Does anybody?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Having lived in Brighton for years I have a distinct aversion to meditation, yoga, pilates and bongo playing.

add in scented candles, joss sticks, crusties with dogs, vegetarian shoes and ethnic clothing.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Concentrating on breathing (as you are supposed to do) or counting the breaths has a completely adverse affect on my ability to clear my mind. The moment I stop concentrating on my breathing my mind is clear and there is almost no thinking. I appreciate that this probably flies in the face of 'conventional' meditation teachings, but the breathing focus bit is just not necessary for me. Anyone?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Concentrating on breathing (as you are supposed to do) or counting the breaths has a completely adverse affect on my ability to clear my mind. The moment I stop concentrating on my breathing my mind is clear and there is almost no thinking.

These two sentences appear to contradict each other!

But to answer your question, try instead just to observe your thoughts as they become, exist and fall away.
Acknowledging your mental activity as ephemeral and impermanent can be a powerful realisation even when you already know it.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Meditation is amazing. Every human on Earth should be doing it now. It can only benefit the standard and happiness of your life.

Anyone's who's interested in Meditation and Yoga, check this out: http://www.rajayoga.org/

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Concentrating on breathing (as you are supposed to do) or counting the breaths has a completely adverse affect on my ability to clear my mind. The moment I stop concentrating on my breathing my mind is clear and there is almost no thinking. I appreciate that this probably flies in the face of 'conventional' meditation teachings, but the breathing focus bit is just not necessary for me. Anyone?

When breathing, don't count, in-fact don't think at all, over concentrating wont help so you're not actually doing much wrong from what you've said. I imagine the sound of my breathing to sound like the wind and the waves. It does work and helps you to feel more at one.
I also listen to relaxing music when I meditate, it can really help.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think the problem for me is that while sitting I'd rather breathe 'randomly,' and not in through the nose and out of the mouth each time ('randomly' meaning i.e. in through the mouth and out of both nose and mouth, or in through both and out of one or the other etc.), and I feel that I get to where I want to be by completely ignoring my breathing, even though the breathing is supposed to 'centre you,' which it don't personally feel I need to be doing to clear my mind.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Hi,

Ive started getting into meditation and am liking what its all about.

Just wondered if anyone currently does it or go to classes.

Any expiereinces or advice would be appreciated.

Chaaars.

did it for 4 years every day - with some long solitude stints too. can't recommend it enough and will get back to it once some crazy logistics calm down (but one once said if you don't have time for medi you are too obsessed with the illusion).

don't get lost in book or classes.

1) straight back but semi-relaxed.
2) medi in the same spot at same time.
3) 15 mins minimum.
4) candle / insence / oils help.
5) just dont attach to emotions, feelings, thoughts, dont deny them - let them pass.....sooner or later you will get to a "void" - nothingness.........soon after this will grow and be easy to get "into."

....then the fun really starts.

if you're struggling - theta wave medi's are great......or medi at 5am when the astral body is still "loose."

for me - groups are not good - be alone (distractive energy). also, outside not so good - particles in the air change (breeze) - you want to condense / change the particles around you - if this makes sense (it will).

once a week long medi won't do it - little and every day is the key.

:)

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I don't quite get the need for 'group' meditation, as you can do it at home just as well and at any time basically.
It's about centering yourself, finding the inner light of being, balancing the soul with the universe. A great and worthwhile exercise.

Yoga is supposed to be brill - rather like to hear from people who do that.

yoga is many different things to diff people. i was into hatha for a long while, but now prefer chi-gung.

yoga is like what i wrote on medi - if you do it every day, after 11 days or so something really changes / shifts in you. If you do it once a week in a class you will just get "destressed n feel nice."

hatha was originally to do before a medi - and is really good to help the body open up.

i found yoga like this; i got to a point, and then i couldn't break through a certain posture / flexibility -then the "life issue / stuck emotion" came up thro yoga/medi - and then i could do the posture / become more flexible in that region of the body.

my advice is learn somewhere decent in india 1 on 1, and he / she will work on a set specific to your body and needs - then go away and do it alone.

much western group yoga is just arobics / stretching / ego.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Itches while sitting - how do people deal with it? I can't be doing with all this 'focus on the itch' crap and always just scratch the itch, but as I do it I make sure that I am fully present and focusing on my arm and hand reaching, my nail scratching the skin etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here