Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I went there a few years ago when CMS scored his wonder goal.

The coach dropped us bang outside the ground a couple of hours before ko, so I asked a local, who was probably in his twenties, where was the nearest place I could buy some tobacco, he said 'There's a paki shop down there, but I'd go to the one that way because he's not paki'

I thought they can't all be like that so I asked someone else, probably in his sixties. I got near enough the same reply.

On a positive note, a group of young teenage lads thumped on our coach when leaving and all of them were clapping us and saying 'Well played', so maybe there is hope, but I doubt it.

If you want an example of a totally non integrated town...Burnley is it.

The two groups don't mix, they don't use each other's shops if they can help it and EVERYONE I spoke to on Friday identified themselves as racist either by implication or overtly.

I don't think that is unique to there but it's so stark. The place is a dump...but, the pub I stayed in had a load of Albion memorabilia behind the jump, team photos, shirts etc. Apparently the Albion squad used to stay there in the 70s and 80s if we were playing in the area. Surprising to see but made me feel at home.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Right, what racist abuse did Bong get today......seriously, check the Dictionary before you answer.

Racist.

Abuse.
"Boo... Boo" is as close to "Ooo... Ooo" as you can get without being immediately assaulted or arrested.

If you think the idiot minority of Burnley fans abuse of Bong was not racially influenced then you are very, very stupid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Your defender claimed something which it transpired he didn’t say.

Are you serious?!?! Can you please explain this pathetic statement?

Or if you can't, **** off and ban yourself.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
What did he do?

Chris was a few paces in front of Bong as they approached the tunnel to leave the pitch. Of course that’s right by the booing white trash.

Chris stopped, shepherded Bong into the tunnel and then pulled the lapels of his jacket forward and simply stared at the Burnley block for a few seconds. Wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What yesterday and this thread confirms is that our moronic minority is very significantly smaller than their moronic minority and that we should be very thankful to be able to live where we do.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
For me the pantomime booing was strange but players get that sometimes. What was really unacceptable was the individuals that stood up and shouted and gesticulated at Gaetan when he was taking a throw in. He had to let the ball boys retrieve the balls for him in the first half to avoid getting close to the crowd. It was especially bad in the 1st half. The 2nd half not such an issue and I can only presume that a better class of Burnley fan occupy the opposite side of their ground. What I would applaud is Bong’s handling of the situation. He got on with his game and maintained his concentration. Not his best game but never put foot wrong defensively. Best response he could make other than smashing in a 25 yard winner

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thank god I don't live in Burnley!

And why can't people in the media work out the very simple fact JR wasn't "proven innocent" and Bong wasn't "proven wrong". They couldn't lip-read the tapes so it was one guy's word against another.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A reasonably balanced report on the BBC webpage. The bold is the same on that page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43937329

Brighton boss Chris Hughton says the booing of Gaetan Bong by Burnley fans on Saturday was "shameful".

Defender Bong accused West Brom's Burnley-born striker Jay Rodriguez of racially abusing him during a match in January, a charge found "not proven".

Burnley fans chanted "Jay Rodriguez, he's one of our own" as well as booing Bong whenever he touched the ball.

"I was incredibly surprised, I must admit. I certainly didn't expect it," said Hughton.

"I thought the reaction of the Burnley supporters towards Gaetan was shameful.

"He's an incredibly disciplined and straight individual - as honest a person as you will meet.

"It's something that happened, it's not nice at all, and of course he's big enough and strong enough to cope with it."

What is the background?
Bong made the claim after an incident involving Rodriguez during West Brom's 2-0 home win over Brighton on 13 January.

Rodriguez, who has one England cap, appeared to pinch his nose after the players clashed, and Bong spoke to the referee.

Rodriguez was charged by the Football Association, which delivered its verdict earlier this month.

Saying the allegation was "not proven", it added there was "no suggestion by any party involved in this case that this was a malicious or fabricated complaint".

It also said it was "completely satisfied that this was a complaint made in absolute good faith".

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Racism at it's best (worst). They don't like different coloured people oop norf.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
"Boo... Boo" is as close to "Ooo... Ooo" as you can get without being immediately assaulted or arrested.

If you think the idiot minority of Burnley fans abuse of Bong was not racially influenced then you are very, very stupid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So what you are saying is that whilst the Burnley fans were booing Bong, what they really wanted to do was imitate ape/monkey noises, as in ooo-ooo-ooo?

I have to say it sounded like they were booing......as in Boooooooooooo.

Have you shared your insight here with the Police, it’s a game changer.

Then again, you know what a chant of Seee-gulls, accompanied with a pointing arm looks like don’t you?

A few years ago someone very very stupid just like you thought they did too.......

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There is so much to admire about Burnley FC what they have achieved this season has been magnificent. The regular Burnley contributors to this forum are imo some of the best away posters on this site. For me it makes what happened yesterday even more sad. The behaviour of the booing Burnley fans was a disgrace and I am delighted that Hughton called it out and that Gaetan conducted himself with such dignity and composure on the day.

That behaviour was as disgusting as it was unsurprising which should surely give Burnley pause for thought about their fans conduct. The booing and subsequent display of homophobia should not go unremarked upon Burnley. As Chris said, shameful.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Is it just me, or has the above thread now been taken down from the Claret's Board?

It doesn't exist, like a lot of things up there.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to say I do have something of a hatred of Burnley, I have no idea why.

Longsider

Apr 29, 2018
Saddened Burnley fan here

Having read all the posts on this thread I'm relieved to see plenty of reasonable posts on here about yesterday, aswell as the usual numpty ones I'd expect on any board. I felt compelled to join and post as a Burnley fan who was disgusted by the booing, I sit with my wife at the opposite end to where your supporters were and can assure you that your support and singing was superb. The ground, apart from the booing was the quietest it's been all season which led to a 2nd half with no atmosphere. I can only assume thousands of fans were as embarrassed as I was.
Chris Hughton was spot on and Burnley as a club must make a statement deploring that section of Burnley fans. I have followed the Clarets for over 50 years now, living in the area and sadly can only agree with some posters that Pendle is nowhere near an integrated community. It's shocking to say that when Bong's accusations first hit the news that my first thoughts were not of surprise knowing that Jay Rod was brought up in the town, only Bong and Rodriguez know what actually was said on the pitch and Burnley fans had no right at all to carry the issue on yesterday.
Some posters have promised 'to get their own back'. I can only urge your supporters clubs to do this by keeping the issue in the news by writing to Burnley FC and perhaps Burnley's local press, as I will be doing.
Brighton fans brought in by coach don't see the areas we see every day. Britain First flags hanging from bedroom windows, or in front gardens. Racial abuse us featured every day in our local press but nothing changes. My own ward has the last UKIP county councillor. The complete rejuvination of our town centre, road system, new railway station was EU funded but the town still voted leave.
I apologise for the length of my post but felt I had to say that not all Burnley fans are racist or homophobic but serious changes need to be made in the town as yesterday highlighted so starkly. The club need to take a much firmer stand against bigotry of every type. As some posters on here have said, and Dyche sometimes admits, Burnley FC is in many ways still in a past era. He has done amazingly well here to drag it by its bootstraps to where it is now and I am sure he will have been equally disappointed yesterday with the ignorant section of fans.

Longsider

Apr 29, 2018
Spot on. A large majority of Burnley fans, like me, were saddened by it. The club need to make a statement condemning what happened.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
It doesn't exist, like a lot of things up there.

Darn, now it must be not proven that any of them are racist or homophobic...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here