Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not good news IMHO... Burnley probably beaten to Hendrick signing by Hull... if only Burnley would bid proper amounts of money (but not for Dale, of course!)...

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SportsPeteO 8m8 minutes ago
Hull City have agreed fee of £10m with Derby for Jeff Hendrick. #hcafc #dcfc

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Why are people giving Dyche stick? I don't imagine he's the one making the offer much like Hughton makes offers to other clubs. He just tells Barber and Bloom who he wants. Makes no sense to me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We seem to have (not ITK) a brilliant bunch of lads that all want to play for each other. If one of those eggs go bad they should be shipped out.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why are people giving Dyche stick? I don't imagine he's the one making the offer much like Hughton makes offers to other clubs. He just tells Barber and Bloom who he wants. Makes no sense to me.

Exactly right. Dyche wants a player and his board then go off and try to do a deal for what they believe is the right price for Burnley.

I'll add that the Albion board have a lot of time and respect for those running Burnley whereas there is little love, to pick a club at random, for Middlesbrough.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The information in the Argus is very precise, I don't think they'd print it unless they had a very good source. There are three likely places this information came from:

BURNLEY. They'd want this deal to be secret through a fear of being guzumped (like they did to us with Ward), I'd be very surprised if they'd leaked this.

STEPHENS' AGENT. A likely source, he wants the highest fee possible and making these details public could lead to a bidding war and subsequent massive increase of the greedy chump's cut.

BHA. A quiet word from a source at the club to AN would again alert other teams to the fact Dale is not for sale at £5.5m but maybe a bit more? The fact that he has not signed a contract and has had little playtime this season would suggest his head is not in the right place and the club are now looking for a maximum return; making this deal public should get some other clubs involved to get that fee closer to £10m.

I fear the last source is the one AN got the story from. It's all about the size of the fee now & hopefully, it won't be Burnley or another Championship club that take him.

I would agree with this.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The information in the Argus is very precise, I don't think they'd print it unless they had a very good source. There are three likely places this information came from:

BURNLEY. They'd want this deal to be secret through a fear of being guzumped (like they did to us with Ward), I'd be very surprised if they'd leaked this.

STEPHENS' AGENT. A likely source, he wants the highest fee possible and making these details public could lead to a bidding war and subsequent massive increase of the greedy chump's cut.

BHA. A quiet word from a source at the club to AN would again alert other teams to the fact Dale is not for sale at £5.5m but maybe a bit more? The fact that he has not signed a contract and has had little playtime this season would suggest his head is not in the right place and the club are now looking for a maximum return; making this deal public should get some other clubs involved to get that fee closer to £10m.

I fear the last source is the one AN got the story from. It's all about the size of the fee now & hopefully, it won't be Burnley or another Championship club that take him.

Pure conjecture on your part... maybe the club told the Argus they will not sell any of our star players, as per this bit of the article:

"‘Not for sale’ signs have been slapped on Stephens, Newcastle target Knockaert and Dunk, who attracted interest from Crystal Palace earlier in the summer."

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Because if you believe the club he's not for sale. By putting a value on him is saying he is for sale.

As far as the club are concerned, he is NOT for sale - that's why we don't want bids. That's why we don't want all the media speculation. These bids and media stories about transfers unsettle the lads and we don't want that either.

We want to keep all of them. Chris wants to be managing Brighton in the Premiership next year and he wants at least a fighting chance to do that, so he needs to keep hold of these players but the players are only any use to us if we can keep them focussed on playing for Brighton and not anyone else, hence why I hate seeing all these stories hitting the newspapers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know as I am not in a position to but I would think that it is easier for TB to turn down bids and the money than to replace the player and possibly paying over the odds at this late hour.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I dont know as I am not in a position to but I would think that it is easier for TB to turn down bids and the money than to replace the player and possibly paying over the odds at this late hour.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we just cannot afford to let our best players go. But if his head isn't in Brighton, he needs to go, he'll be back in the Championship next season, stuck in Burnley. I know he's a northerner but never the less.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's a difficult one isn't it and illustrates the absurdity of the transfer market. What other sector would do its business like this. I think it would be difficult to replace him in the British market but not impossible. Financially it might be more do-able in the European market for that sort of cash. That said, we have already signed Oliver Norwood, who many think is a player so similar to Stephens that he is the like-for-like replacement and we'd then go for another type of player. Of course in an ideal world we'd keep everyone happily together but football's not like that is it. Albion will always be vulnerable for bids for our best players and this particular transfer saga has been rumbling on all summer. As I've said many times, it really depends on the player. For me, there's no point in keeping even one of your best players if his heart's no longer in it. We've been down that road before. If he does want to go, then we have, no matter how hard it is, to sell him for as much money as we can get and buy someone who wants to play for the club.

Norwood is NOT a like-for-like for Stephens... also, it is not as simple as Dale wants to stay or wants to go... for example, he may be interested in taking a better deal from us a la Dunk... he may want to go back up north, or be happy to stay South... his wife may want to stay, and so on...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we just cannot afford to let our best players go. But if his head isn't in Brighton, he needs to go, he'll be back in the Championship next season, stuck in Burnley. I know he's a northerner but never the less.

Quite agree, but he would be in the Championship on k20 a week more
Bit like Barnes, not playing but earning a big wedge

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Were are the riddles? I think it is most obvious.
It probably is obvious to you, you can do riddles in your sleep. I like clear statements of facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here