Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You are the ref: Dale Stephens' challenge on Gaston Ramirez

What was the correct decision for the Dale Stephens' challenge?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who was late into a challenge?
image.jpeg

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I don't mean to gang up on you.

But when I read comments like this I do wonder if the rules of this game were changed when I wasn't looking. Are you seriously suggesting DS should have let that ball go? Fck.

Ha, I'm not bothered about people ganging up on me as long as it's civil.

It's a game of opinions, and I think although certainly he didn't intend to hurt anyone, his actions are reckless.

Happy to bet £25 that the appeal is unsuccessful, with the loser giving the money to REMF.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If two players clash heads and one cuts his head, is this a red card? Imo it's the same outcome.

What didn't help was the ref had to speak to gaston the ladybird and also Stephens 5 minutes before.

Badly got this one wrong ref.
That's the one! I couldn't get peppa pig out of my head. Silly me, should have realised it was ben and holly:facepalm:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Can't believe two people voted for red card. For me, Stephens wins the ball cleanly and Ramirez's goes into his leg. No foul. Interestingly, there were no shouts of 'Off' from the Boro fans, which usually follows almost any slightly bad foul. Suggests, for all their protestations since, Boro fans didn't think it was a red card live.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He kicks the bottom of Stephens studs - dale was once again just too quick for him as he had been all day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's how i saw it, Stephens was quicker to a 50/50 ball and Ramirez kicked into Stephens as a result, however i expect the incident just prior to that may have played a part in the ref giving a red

I've watched it several times since I made that post, and I've now noticed that Ramirez clearly looks up and sees Stephens coming in and if anything he is kicking out at Stephens and not the ball itself. I'd say it horribly backfired on him but, sadly, it didn't.

as he only saw Stephens push Ramirez back after Ramirez was shoving Stephens and therefore, once shown the injury to the leg, may have decided that Stephens was deliberately trying to injure their player as a continuation of that dispute.

I agree - that altercation must have been in the ref's mind as the timing was so close.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
With so much at stake (financially) in the modern game surely the time has come to introduce a rugby/cricket style video referee? I know it's not a popular idea with many but if, for example, each side had say three 'challenges' to use for decisions they deemed were incorrect and game changing eg Dales red card, a goal believed to be off side etc this would be so much fairer, accepted by the majority of fans and avoid all the bitterness and recriminations we're now reading on here. It's the bloody injustice of shitty decisions that change games that pisses me off so much

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ha, I'm not bothered about people ganging up on me as long as it's civil.

It's a game of opinions, and I think although certainly he didn't intend to hurt anyone, his actions are reckless.

Happy to bet £25 that the appeal is unsuccessful, with the loser giving the money to REMF.
I think everyone agrees that the appeal will be unsuccessful. But a lot feel that is because the FA will back their man, not because the decision was correct and fair.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] check out the 'Mike Dean should be sacked as a referee Facebook page. V interesting reading.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think everyone agrees that the appeal will be unsuccessful. But a lot feel that is because the FA will back their man, not because the decision was correct and fair.

It's the FL who decide upon it.
It's the FA who back the refs.

I think the FL will stand by the decision but because they're spineless and incompetent, rather than because they're protecting him.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Don't buy that either.

The FA has overturned plenty of reds before (including marginal ones), so only conspiracy theorists would claim there is a bias towards officials.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I honestly believe we would have won if Stephens had stayed on the pitch. Absolutely shocking decision that could cost us £170m. Unfortunately there's no way in hell it will be rescinded.

Just send in our appeal along with the footage of Barton's elbow and stamp on Kayal and say how can it be a red card for Stephens but not even a yellow for either of those 2 incidents by Barton

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't buy that either.

The FA has overturned plenty of reds before (including marginal ones), so only conspiracy theorists would claim there is a bias towards officials.
I'm just saying the decision was wrong, but the appeal will fail.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't buy that either.

so why do you think appeal wont be succesfful as theres no foul? you believe there was a foul? when he's won a free ball and the other player is late? on the retrospective evidence i cant see how anyone, even a clear minded Middlesbrough that it isnt a foul, the only issue is the injury incurred as a result of the accident.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don't think the appeal will be unsuccessful. We won an appeal with Calde & the Newport player, who broke his leg in a 50/50 challenge.
The club don't make a habit of appealing cards.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think the appeal will be unsuccessful. We won an appeal with Calde & the Newport player, who broke his leg in a 50/50 challenge.
The club don't make a habit of appealing cards.
Didn't we lose the Jamie Murphy appeal ?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
so why do you think appeal wont be succesfful as theres no foul? you believe there was a foul? when he's won a free ball and the other player is late? on the retrospective evidence i cant see how anyone, even a clear minded Middlesbrough that it isnt a foul, the only issue is the injury incurred as a result of the accident.

I normally like Mike Dean as a ref but today he had a stinker. As stated earlier he did not blow for a foul but to get treatment for a player who appeared to have a serious injury, that is why he restarted the game with a dropball instead of a free kick. No way a red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here