Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ITV England World Cup Finals Coverage

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Lawro is awful but I'd still take him and Pearce over the Clive and Glen "dream team". [emoji33]

"Not for me" Clive is a terrible commentator but I'm pretty sure my coverage is going to feature the one commentator who is worse than him: Mr Peter Drury.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Jordan Henderson...he's not scored a penalty for 3 years, he's not a regular penalty taker..."

Cheers Clive. I swear ITV do their absolute utmost to fvck England over. They should not be allowed anywhere NEAR an England game ever, ever again.

From switching to Hyundai ads mid-game and missing goals, to the "quickly Kevin, will he score ?". They are absolute poison to England. OFCOM need to step in this summer, before the ad-soaked binfest of a station inflicts more trauma on the nation.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
"Jordan Henderson...he's not scored a penalty for 3 years, he's not a regular penalty taker..."

Cheers Clive. I swear ITV do their absolute utmost to fvck England over. They should not be allowed anywhere NEAR an England game ever, ever again.

From switching to Hyundai ads mid-game and missing goals, to the "quickly Kevin, will he score ?". They are absolute poison to England. OFCOM need to step in this summer, before the ad-soaked binfest of a station inflicts more trauma on the nation.

I had said before the end of the game that they had jinxed it when around the 88th minute (maybe even earlier) they mentioned that England would be playing Sweden on Saturday as if they game were already won.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had said before the end of the game that they had jinxed it when around the 88th minute (maybe even earlier) they mentioned that England would be playing Sweden on Saturday as if they game were already won.

Someone posted up that stat where since 1998 we have a 69% win ratio on BBC, and a 10% one on ITV. That kind of thing sticks with me, and I'm going to dread their coverage even more now. As if the Tyldesly / Hoddle combo isn't bad enough.

I'm guessing the BBC must have the QF as its their turn shirly.. If we somehow get past the Swedes, I pray to all that is holy that ITV don't get their sticky paws on the SF.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm guessing the BBC must have the QF as its their turn shirly.. If we somehow get past the Swedes, I pray to all that is holy that ITV don't get their sticky paws on the SF.

Sweden game is on BBC1. ITV had the first two picks of the second round, in return the BBC gets the first two picks of the quarter finals. ITV get the first pick of the semi-finals. Therefore, if we be beat Sweden, it will almost certainly be on ITV.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sweden game is on BBC1. ITV had the first two picks of the second round, in return the BBC gets the first two picks of the quarter finals. ITV get the first pick of the semi-finals. Therefore, if we be beat Sweden, it will almost certainly be on ITV.

Bugger.
Oh well, lets just cross that bridge if we come to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't get too excited both BBC and ITV are showing the game live.

But as usual, the viewing figures will show that 90% of people are watching the BBC, and the rest of them are watching Countdown on Channel 4. Therefore I don't think we can count this as an ITV game.

I'm not sure why ITV even bother trying to go head to head with the BBC when it comes to football.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I actually think their punditry has improved considerably this time around. The BBC used to knock them out of the park when it came to pre and post match analysis, but having Neville and (surprisingly) Ian Wright have picked things up a fair bit.

I've quite liked Alex Scott on the BBC, but at least ITV have made up some ground from their usual abysmal effort. For every Hoddle, there's a Lawro or a Danny Murphy, so I'm calling it a draw.

(the coverage, I mean: obviously WERE LOOSE the football match because it's being shown on ITV).

I agree - they certainly have raised their game somewhat. GNev is great obviously, but Wright is utterly transformed from the pundit he was a few years ago. Aluko, O'Neill, Bilic all good as well. I'm still not sold on Dixon and the less said about Giggs and Hoddle the better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Hoddle gets a rough ride on here. Certainly he does say some fairly pointless things, but every now and then he shows his tactical acumen, which is a lot more interesting than listening to the biggest football pundit simpleton ever, Andy Townsend, or one or two of ITV's crap commentary team.

Not surprisingly, Hoddle is being mis-used. He should be on the panel giving his take on where things are going right and wrong. Ideally in that thick misogynistic bore Patrice Evra's place.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fine by my provided I don't have to watch ITV. Could have punched Tyldsley in the face last night.

You and me alike. He is so bad a commentator. Always looking for the worse case scenario, he will actually say as the ball is being played through and as yet no flag..."Lingard looks offside" even if he isn't – why would he do that in that moment of getting excited about someone running through? In a similar way with Ashley Young going off with 20 mins still to go, "that is one of England's key penalty takers..." Just **** off Clive. He is a shameless sensationalist and I detest having to listen to him. Thank goodness we have the choice on Saturday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here