Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you believe the Earth is flat?

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Yes, I firmly believe the Earth is flat

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • I'm unsure, but the Earth could be flat

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • I believe The Earth is absolutely NOT flat

Votes: 229 84.5%

• Total voters

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If you take off vertically in a helicopter say in Shoreham, hover for a few minutes then descend back down, the speed at which the Earth is spinning would mean you would land somewhere else like Paris for example. But you dont, you still land in Shoreham, which means the Earth is flat and not spinning.

The world is defiantly round and spinning.
That is why Glenn missed that penalty.
In the time he started his run up to when he struck the ball, the ball, goal and goalkeeper had moved 3 inches to the left.
See also Leo Ulloa.

And here we have the explanation as to why Leo's penalty ball *seems* not to have landed yet... it did land, but in Paris!

Question for the flat earthers, does the earth move through space or are we still?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Question for the flat earthers, does the earth move through space or are we still?

i dont think there is "space" in flat earth theory. we're on a disk with some glowing orbs moving around, called Sun and Moon and a background of stars fixed to some imaginary ceiling. i dont think people have cottoned on yet, its a variation on creationism.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes no amount of evidence will make them believe that its a sphere, pictures are CGI, space flights faked, all the scientists, astrophysics students who have tested it are in on the conspiracy but every flat earth video they watch on youtube is telling them the truth!

They could also fly to the edge of the disc and see what is over the guarded ice mountains.

Why has no-one thought of this?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think this is the grown up version of the 'I know something you don't know" kid's game.

Well i say grown up......

Pickles

May 5, 2014

The earth spins at 1,000 mph, whilst orbiting the sun at around 67,000 mph.

Then the sun, which is pulling the earth, is orbiting the centre of our galaxy, the milky way, at just over 500,000 mph,taking around 200 million years to do so etc etc.

Everything with a big enough mass is spherical in the universe, except the earth.

Yeah, the earth is flat.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
I say what's the point of covering up that the earth is flat ?

I think one of the beliefs is that 'science' wrestled the 'truth' from the Church during the renaissance/enlightenment e.g. Copernicus etc and now 'science' is doing everything it can to prevent its own falsification in order to retain it's intellectual dominance thus vested interests are at work

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
i dont think there is "space" in flat earth theory. we're on a disk with some glowing orbs moving around, called Sun and Moon and a background of stars fixed to some imaginary ceiling. i dont think people have cottoned on yet, its a variation on creationism.

Exactly what it is. A flanking attack on science.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think one of the beliefs is that 'science' wrestled the 'truth' from the Church during the renaissance/enlightenment e.g. Copernicus etc and now 'science' is doing everything it can to prevent its own falsification in order to retain it's intellectual dominance thus vested interests are at work

That's not how science works though, if science knew the earth was flat it would shout it from the rooftops. Happy to admit they are wrong if new evidence says otherwise.

Its intellectual dominance would be enhanced if they could prove to me it was flat !

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
That's not how science works though, if science knew the earth was flat it would shout it from the rooftops. Happy to admit they are wrong if new evidence says otherwise.

Its intellectual dominance would be enhanced if they could prove to me it was flat !

Too many vested interests, reputations and institutions at stake mate - Newton, Einstein, Hawking, for example - total ego maniacs. They and their acolytes are not going to allow their 'theories' on 'physics' to be sh@t on by the facts and the real truth. The established scientific communities commitment to the truth is a clever lie - b WOKE

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Too many vested interests, reputations and institutions at stake mate - Newton, Einstein, Hawking, for example - total ego maniacs. They and their acolytes are not going to allow their 'theories' on 'physics' to be sh@t on by the facts and the real truth. The scientific commitment to the truth is a clever lie - b WOKE
True. We should all embrace the post fact world where dinosaurs didn't exist, Donald Trump was elected President, the world is flat and people actually listened to what Nigel Farage was saying.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Science doesn’t give a toss about the shape of the earth, only that proof is provided to back up the shape.
Scientist are always challenging existing theories because that is how advancements are made. Let’s face it, science could be very tedious otherwise. However scientific proof is required when doing this. Coming up with some half-arsed, hair brained idea that would embarrass a village idiot isnt going to cut it.
The science that they criticise is the same science that designed their car, tv, computing etc.

My view of why some religious groups get bent out of shape with scientific theory is because every time a new theory comes into play it undermines their religion, it is seen as an attack on their beliefs. The OP mentions copernicus and by association Galileo who were classed as heretics for their findings. Note ‘findings’ rather than ‘belief’. Science is the antithesis of religion in that one is based upon proof where belief is not a factor, and the other where belief trumps proof.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Too many vested interests, reputations and institutions at stake mate - Newton, Einstein, Hawking, for example - total ego maniacs. They and their acolytes are not going to allow their 'theories' on 'physics' to be sh@t on by the facts and the real truth. The established scientific communities commitment to the truth is a clever lie - b WOKE

load of bobbins

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Science doesn’t give a toss about the shape of the earth, only that proof is provided to back up the shape.
Scientist are always challenging existing theories because that is how advancements are made. Let’s face it, science could be very tedious otherwise. However scientific proof is required when doing this. Coming up with some half-arsed, hair brained idea that would embarrass a village idiot isnt going to cut it.
The science that they criticise is the same science that designed their car, tv, computing etc.

My view of why some religious groups get bent out of shape with scientific theory is because every time a new theory comes into play it undermines their religion, it is seen as an attack on their beliefs. The OP mentions copernicus and by association Galileo who were classed as heretics for their findings. Note ‘findings’ rather than ‘belief’. Science is the antithesis of religion in that one is based upon proof where belief is not a factor, and the other where belief trumps proof.

Yes I agree, the argument would then be that science is also faith based. Heresy is bad faith. 'Evidence', 'findings' 'proof' are ultimately always tied to subjective value judgements. If truth is that which mirrors reality - the debate then becomes circular. Conceding that point would be a victory for flat earthers, especially if they thought Biblical accounts are inerrant. Maintaining an alternative conclusion would only serve to validate the claim that proponents of 'science' fundamentally misunderstand the nature of truth ergo science is false.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

claiming vested interests is utter dribble. the greeks understood the earth the be a sphere, only recent idea that is wasnt by people not wanting to accept science. science has a healthy habit of discarding hypothesis and theories that dont fit new evidence, some of Einstein's work has been accepted to be bobbins, particular around quantum mechanics. observation beats ideas. show the earth to be flat, explain how a satellite disappears from view, how sun and moon follow an arc, how the moon goes through phases and eclipse work with a flat world. explain how distances at latitudes above and below the equator are the same.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

'Science' means knowledge.

It isn't a religion. There are no alternatives to the truth. The scientific method (of hypothesis falsification) is the only way of testing an idea.

It is much easier to believe rather than test, though, whether it be in fairies, god or conspiracies.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
claiming vested interests is utter dribble. the greeks understood the earth the be a sphere, only recent idea that is wasnt by people not wanting to accept science. science has a healthy habit of discarding hypothesis and theories that dont fit new evidence, some of Einstein's work has been accepted to be bobbins, particular around quantum mechanics. observation beats ideas. show the earth to be flat, explain how a satellite disappears from view, how sun and moon follow an arc, how the moon goes through phases and eclipse work with a flat world. explain how distances at latitudes above and below the equator are the same.

Science 'allows' for small adjustments but not paradigmatic ones - observational verification is less important for flat earthers, instead it is sciences inability to falsify flat earth claims which becomes the verification. Flat Earth wins

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
A lot of people believe Christopher Columbus set around the world to prove it was round. We knew as far back as 600 BC that the world was round. Ancient greek knowledge was passed down and anyone intelligent in Columbus's time would've known it was round.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
'Science' means knowledge.

It isn't a religion. There are no alternatives to the truth. The scientific method (of hypothesis falsification) is the only way of testing an idea.

It is much easier to believe rather than test, though, whether it be in fairies, god or conspiracies.

That's an assumption taught by science, you would need to prove that falsification (and verification) are pathways to truth, since we can neither verify or falsify that verification and falsification are the best or only pathways to truth (no empirical evidence) then it's demonstrable that the argument is self contradictory. This approach dismantles itself.

Science is faith based, the flat earth is an inconvenient truth (These are not my views)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here