Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal legend Tony Adams strikes £200m deal to buy Crystal Palace (says Daily Star)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
There is a WORLD of difference between coming to an independent pragmatic agreement with creditors to pay a % of what was owed

​Is it worth mentioning that Palace's creditors also came to an independent pragmatic legal agreement and voted overwhelmingly in favour of the company voluntary arrangement (CVA)? ;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No. I was able to pay my mortgage and do everything I wanted without the need for a generous benefactor helping me out financially every year. So yes I lived within my means.

If you'd have reneged on your mortgage the way your grubby little football club reneged on its debts and obligations, then you'd have been out on the street.

Luckily for CPFC2010, all the debts it welshed on were unsecured, so everything simply got written off and they could start again. It worked so well the first time, they did the trick again. Happy days ! What a great way to preserve a place in the top 2 divisions.

You have to applaud it really. Maybe if BHA had been a bit more streetwise and possessed the morals of a sewer rat, then we could've gone the same route - especially when we were homeless, or playing at an athletics track for 12 years. Instead we plodded on in the lower leagues, paying our bills.

That's made it one HELL of a long journey, whilst your bunch of spivs have lorded it over us thanks to your financial chicanery. But by christ its been worth it, because its been achieved without thieving a brass cent from anyone. We can look back with pride. You can only look back with shame (except you won't, because that would take a modicum of class and humility, something that's never been associated with your vile little club).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
​Is it worth mentioning that Palace's creditors also came to an independent pragmatic legal agreement and voted overwhelmingly in favour of the company voluntary arrangement (CVA)? ;)

The reality is, its a choice of a CVA - or a winding up order that leads to nothing. Not much of a choice really, is it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
None of which was paid for by living 'within your means' though, was it?

Which was the only point I was questioning.[/QUOTE]All of it was paid by living within our means, or more precisely within the means of our chairman.

:)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If I had a billion quid or so to spare, I'd chuck as much as I damn well liked into Brighton & Hove Albion, and I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit ashamed about that, as I'm a lifelong fan who'd be in it only for the love of the club.

Yes, the club would be mighty fortunate to receive that sort of income, but I fail to see what's morally wrong about it, as per the whining Palace fans on here who seem to think it's "unfair".

We were one of only a few clubs in the Championship who actually bothered to adhere to the FFP rules in recent seasons, whether you agree those rules are questionable or not.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If I had a billion quid or so to spare, I'd chuck as much as I damn well liked into Brighton & Hove Albion, and I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit ashamed about that, as I'm a lifelong fan who'd be in it only for the love of the club.

Me too, but what would I do with the other £999,999,999,999?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
None of which was paid for by living 'within your means' though, was it?

Which was the only point I was questioning.
All of it was paid by living within our means, or more precisely within the means of our chairman.

:)

That's my point, as a club your revenues from football over the last few years have been literally millions of pounds less than your annual income. The fact that you have a brilliant owner whose happy to cover those massive losses, is great. But to suggest that you've lived within your means as a business is laughable, as you freely admit, it's only been possible due to the wealth of your owner.

I'm not envious or jealous and posters suggesting that are completely missing the point. I'm actually pleased that once again we will actually be playing each other on the pitch. That's what having rivals is all about. I actually don't give a stuff that our ground is well past its sell by date, it's perfectly adequate for the couple of hours every other week or so I'm actually there. I can't see the point of my seat being padded as I never actually sit on it during a game, although shorter queues for a HT beer or piss would have a certain attraction, admittedly.

But it does get under my skin when I see posts claiming that you have reached the Premier League through living within your means.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That's my point, as a club your revenues from football over the last few years have been literally millions of pounds less than your annual income. The fact that you have a brilliant owner whose happy to cover those massive losses, is great. But to suggest that you've lived within your means as a business is laughable, as you freely admit, it's only been possible due to the wealth of your owner.

I'm not envious or jealous and posters suggesting that are completely missing the point. I'm actually pleased that once again we will actually be playing each other on the pitch. That's what having rivals is all about. I actually don't give a stuff that our ground is well past its sell by date, it's perfectly adequate for the couple of hours every other week or so I'm actually there. I can't see the point of my seat being padded as I never actually sit on it during a game, although shorter queues for a HT beer or piss would have a certain attraction, admittedly.

But it does get under my skin when I see posts claiming that you have reached the Premier League through living within your means.
We include Blooms quarter of a billion as part of our means. Think of it as an inheritance.

We're very lucky.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

You seem really hung up on this, "living within your means" statement. Its a very generic, vague and difficult to quantify statement laden with a massive dose of irony coming as it does from a Palace fan. There is not a club in the entire football pyramid that really lives within its means, most spend more than they earn and yours historically has been one of the worst offenders causing it to bankrupt itself twice and enter administration. Excuse us if we pour scorn on your pathetic attempts to bring us down to your level because quite frankly we are nowhere near the scummy level of your odious club. Tony Bloom has used his significant personal fortune to bankroll his beloved Albion and its no secret it has for many years been a loss making enterprise which is also no different to almost every other club. The difference is we don't and haven't had to owe money to banks or financial institutions, we haven't had to rely on any dubious and shady deals with Gulf State, Russian, Chinese or American 'investors" (for investor read Asset strippers and money launderers). I really don't get your "Living within your means" argument, its baseless, pointless and utterly stupid, akin to Hitler lecturing Stalin on his dreadful treatment of minority groups. If you persist with this point all you are doing is confirming yourself as an utter moron, and that my friend is a Putdown now just shut up and toddle off to your rat infested cladded shithole.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Incredible/willful stupidity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Our means include a rich owner who is a fan, keeping with FFP rules. You have three rich owners, but in the past have reneged on debts through going into administration twice.

If that gets under your skin, then don't log on here, where you will read the truth. Shut the door on your way out.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Mr Bloom is one of us though. A lifelong fan, whose family have been involved with the Albion for many years. If you'd seen him dancing around and going mental in the away end at Brentford last season, you'd know that. He just happens to be a lot richer than any of us.

If you don't understand what the "debt" means in the context of Brighton & Hove Albion in its current position, then you don't know a lot about football. We don't owe millions to banks, or finance companies, or opportunist Americans who are out for what they can get and who will pull the plug or lose interest the moment their potential windfall looks like it won't materialise to the anticipated extent.

Tony Bloom's investment in the Albion will, in all probability, never be repaid. Because he's not in this to make money. His loans will probably end up being converted to shares in the long run. Obviously he'd like the club to become self-sustaining, but the only way a football club manages this in the current age is either to manage very prudently at a low level with little expenditure on wages or players, or to reach the Premier League.

He's not going to turn around tomorrow and say "I'm out, give me my money back". It's a debt in the same way that Blackburn Rovers owed Jack Walker back in the day. He never demanded that money back. "Man saves his boyhood team from oblivion and leads them into the Promised Land": it's a much nicer story than Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi folk, or that Russian bloke at Bournemouth.

I'm sure Parish is the same with you lot, albeit he's not as rich. Ultimately, we all know it pisses you all right off that we've finally managed to claw ourselves back from the depths after a very long time swimming around in the darkness. You might still be slightly ahead of us on the pitch, but nonetheless your envy of what Tony Bloom has done for Brighton & Hove Albion is palpable, and that, ultimately, is what your posts on this thread come down to.

Suck it up, buttercup :wave:

Post of the year so far!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mr Bloom is one of us though. A lifelong fan, whose family have been involved with the Albion for many years. If you'd seen him dancing around and going mental in the away end at Brentford last season, you'd know that. He just happens to be a lot richer than any of us.

If you don't understand what the "debt" means in the context of Brighton & Hove Albion in its current position, then you don't know a lot about football. We don't owe millions to banks, or finance companies, or opportunist Americans who are out for what they can get and who will pull the plug or lose interest the moment their potential windfall looks like it won't materialise to the anticipated extent.

Tony Bloom's investment in the Albion will, in all probability, never be repaid. Because he's not in this to make money. His loans will probably end up being converted to shares in the long run. Obviously he'd like the club to become self-sustaining, but the only way a football club manages this in the current age is either to manage very prudently at a low level with little expenditure on wages or players, or to reach the Premier League.

He's not going to turn around tomorrow and say "I'm out, give me my money back". It's a debt in the same way that Blackburn Rovers owed Jack Walker back in the day. He never demanded that money back. "Man saves his boyhood team from oblivion and leads them into the Promised Land": it's a much nicer story than Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi folk, or that Russian bloke at Bournemouth.

I'm sure Parish is the same with you lot, albeit he's not as rich. Ultimately, we all know it pisses you all right off that we've finally managed to claw ourselves back from the depths after a very long time swimming around in the darkness. You might still be slightly ahead of us on the pitch, but nonetheless your envy of what Tony Bloom has done for Brighton & Hove Albion is palpable, and that, ultimately, is what your posts on this thread come down to.

Suck it up, buttercup :wave:

All of this in a nutshell. As so often Edna hits the nail on the head. Post of the thread and possibly the season so far.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I have no issue with Palace being promoted to the Premier League, it was on merit. Even the most snaggle toothed and swivel eyed Albion fan would claim that our promotion is significantly due to the benevolence of Tony Bloom.

In the years before promotion, Palace were also fortunate to have directors who underwrote their losses, as seen from the attached. You will notice that my analysis excludes the figures for 2009 and 2010, this is because Palace were in administration and produced no standard financials.

Crystal Palace Income Losses 2007-13.JPG

Having been through that chastening experience, one would expect a club to then live within its financial means, but this does not appear to be the case, despite the windfall from Sky/BT. Palace made an operating loss of £16.4 million as recently as 2016, for example.

Crystal Palace Income Costs 2016.JPG

Palace fans on here also make snipes about the attendances at the Amex, despite us not yet being in the Premier League, and having had five seasons at the Amex for new stadium fatigue to wear out. The following comment came from the chairman of which club though?

Steve Parish Palace attendance comment 2011.JPG

I've got friends who are Palace fans, and they are all good guys. They support their club through thick and thin, just like we do. They want us to always lose and I feel exactly the same about Palace, that's how a rivalry should be.

But people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones...

And as for this statement it is just plain silly, makes no sense whatsoever.

That's my point, as a club your revenues from football over the last few years have been literally millions of pounds less than your annual income.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I have no issue with Palace being promoted to the Premier League, it was on merit. Even the most snaggle toothed and swivel eyed Albion fan would claim that our promotion is significantly due to the benevolence of Tony Bloom.

In the years before promotion, Palace were also fortunate to have directors who underwrote their losses, as seen from the attached. You will notice that my analysis excludes the figures for 2009 and 2010, this is because Palace were in administration and produced no standard financials.

View attachment 88024

Having been through that chastening experience, one would expect a club to then live within its financial means, but this does not appear to be the case, despite the windfall from Sky/BT. Palace made an operating loss of £16.4 million as recently as 2016, for example.

View attachment 88025

Palace fans on here also make snipes about the attendances at the Amex, despite us not yet being in the Premier League, and having had five seasons at the Amex for new stadium fatigue to wear out. The following comment came from the chairman of which club though?

View attachment 88026

I've got friends who are Palace fans, and they are all good guys. They support their club through thick and thin, just like we do. They want us to always lose and I feel exactly the same about Palace, that's how a rivalry should be.

But people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones...

And as for this statement it is just plain silly, makes no sense whatsoever.

As always an excellent post from El Presedente whom I respect enormously for his knowledge regarding football finances. I'm off to hunt out a dunces cap and a corner to sit in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here