Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul MIller

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm sure this programme (on BBC Radio Sussex after the match commentary) has its loyal followers, but theres something horrific about it, I just can't turn it off...the radio equivalent of car crash television!

My Dad listens to him. Very much comfort radio for older folk. Not my cup of tea, although I'm often having one round Dad's when he's on.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ernest and Brenda just got 6 out of 6 on the bag...

Frankly, I have absolutely no idea what the means, but I'm assuming it'll be celebrated with a full ENGLISH at the CLIFTONVILLE tomorrow.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
Always used to have it on coming back from midweek games.

You get drawn in. Does tick every stereotype.

Harmless and for a particular audience listening to a friend.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
listen every night just before retiring to bed

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Steve Coogan has seemingly listened to hours of this as many features on Alan's North Norfolk Digital Mid Morning Matters seem lifted straight from Miller's hilarious broadcasts.

Spot on.

That's one of the great things about Partridge. They've studied local radio SO well. Features like:

Who is the best Lord? Of the Dance, the Flies, or the Rings?
We're talking about what people will look like in a BILLION years time...

etc

could all come from Paul Miller's show. I love listening to it, it's comforting yet slightly depressing at the same time. I remember one time they managed to stretch out a feature about the new energy saving lightbulbs for the best part of 2 hours.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I am a big fan of Paul's. Because its for all the local BBC stations in the South East you can get the show for miles when travelling north of a night.

"Hi Paul, it's Sheila from Shoreham. I called up about 4 years ago, do you remember?"
"Ahh Sheila, of cause I do, how have you been my love?"

The bloke has them eating out of the palm of his hand and they love it!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Always used to have it on coming back from midweek games.

You get drawn in. Does tick every stereotype.

Harmless and for a particular audience listening to a friend.
We do this normal get back to the car in Lewes in the middle of the i spy or what's this noise round and then about polegate is the start of the bag and get home in bexhill about the same time the answers finish. We beat them last Friday but had to sit in the car outside home waiting for the final answer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am a big fan of Paul's. Because its for all the local BBC stations in the South East you can get the show for miles when travelling north of a night.

"Hi Paul, it's Sheila from Shoreham. I called up about 4 years ago, do you remember?"
"Ahh Sheila, of cause I do, how have you been my love?"

The bloke has them eating out of the palm of his hand and they love it!

Yep. Often stick it on when I'm driving home after a late shift. It's oddly addictive, in a laughing-at-them-not-with-them sort of way. Love all the old dears ringing in & rambling on, and Miller responding in that comforting voice of his.

The best bit is that quiz that he does. It's like he forgets he's on the radio at times & just lets his inner monologue go free:

"Now...I think I know this one...I think it's this....yes....yes...or is it? Oooh, d'you know I'm questioning myself now...no...I'm going to go for it...yes, yes I'll put it down...but could it be that...? No, I'll stick with my first answer, it's that one....I'm as sure as I can be! Oooh, Tim the Producer, you're testing us tonight! Jean? Jean, my love, Jean from Axminster: what did you put for NWA's first UK hit album?"

"Hello again Paul, well I'm not 100% sure but I think it's Tubular Bells? Is it Tubular Bells, Paul?".

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Loads of utterly justified Paul Miller love on this thread from 3 years ago:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?240022-The-worst-radio-presenter/

Including this gem from @Manx Shearwater:

"Oooohhh, I think I know this, errrrr, what was it now, ummmmmmm, I know...... I'm going to write this down, I seem to remember reading it somewhere recently....Or is it that? Maybe, it maybe that? Oh I dunno, I'm going to write this down, to Hell with it."
And so on for 15 minutes!

I had no idea it was more than just me and the missus listening to this every night!!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've had two texts read out by Paul Miller. One was about Russia winning the Olympics or something. One was incorrectly guessing a sound. I've stopped listening recently but this thread makes me miss the great man enormously.

_46020944_paulmiller.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Damn, never having listened to Radio Sussex, I saw this thread was four pages long and thought it was about a new winger I'd not heard of

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He was talking about receiving unexpected windfalls in people's wills last night. I wonder how many pennies dropped? Clever guy :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As people say he is very easy to listen to and very lighthearted when drivjng home. The one I always switch off is Joe Talbot, cant stand him but at least they have taken him off every afternoon now .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Often listen on the way home after a late.
One of his best was on the quiz; his sidekick asks all the questions then they invite people to ring in.
He asked the caller (Ted, aged 104, from Bexhill) "How many do you think you're going to get ?" and Ted replies "I don't know, I had to go to the toilet and only heard the last one"

I thought I was the only one who listened

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here