Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of the Sun's page 3

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It never added much to the world in the great scheme of things, neither will its removal bring about some kind of sweeping equality utopia. Its just another little erosion of choice, something thats been removed because some yoghurt-knitting, tofu-munching sandal-wearing Guardian readers got their undercrackers in a twist over it.

Quite what tangible harm it ever caused I'm at something of a loss - could you be specific ? The girls were doing it out of free choice, and some went on to have lucrative modelling careers out of it. Who's losing out ?

To get anything whatsoever out of ogling a pair of tits in The Sun would mark you out as a complete and utter sad act, in my opinion. But that's not really the point. The point is that it is a line in the sand - all the time it is there on page 3 of a family marketed newspaper, it suggests to impressionable kids that it is OK to judge women purely by their tits. It's a tedious mantra, highly exploitative, and 30 years out of date.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not really adding much to society though is it? Will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well, presumably, they use the money they make with their bodies to pay their bills which keep businesses running, who continue to employ people who go on to pay their bills and so on and so on.

I'd say 'society' gets its share.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you were ever in any doubt as to the sexist motives behind page 3, you only ever had to read the oh so hilarious, utterly patronising text that came along with it.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Sounds like a business decision.
Proper application of free-market forces and pressure groups should be able to return the tits, surely?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So are they going to ban that Coke ad where the secretaries ogle over the bloke washing the windows without his shirt?

Its one thing having a civilised equal society but we are creatures evolved on survival, tribal and natural selection. Blokes are attracted to pretty young women with busts and boobs and women are attracted to blokes who can provide strong health offspring. I can't help it if the minger doesn't float my boat but I'm blowed if I'm going to be castigated for it.

And it wasn't advertising or society that formed my preference either - over the years I've come to many hair types, different bust sizes and slight or fuller women and I've been attracted to strong dominant women as well as quieter thoughtful girls. I'm only ever put off by evil bitches who tell me what to think and how to live my life in their shadow.

The diet coke advert is the Godwin's Law of online debates about sexism. Congratulations.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To get anything whatsoever out of ogling a pair of tits in The Sun would mark you out as a complete and utter sad act, in my opinion. But that's not really the point. The point is that it is a line in the sand - all the time it is there on page 3 of a family marketed newspaper, it suggests to impressionable kids that it is OK to judge women purely by their tits. It's a tedious mantra, highly exploitative, and 30 years out of date.

I agree anything that suggests to impressionable kids that it is ok to judge women purely by their tits is totally wrong. What about a nice arse and good legs, don't neglect them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nobody is arguing that if women want to make money from showing their body they shouldn't be able to.

What this debate is about is whether it should be in a mainstream newspaper in the year 2015.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is this the end of FEMEN getting their norks out in public also or is going topless to get noticed in this way in public in front of impressionable children an acceptable standard?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well, as said I don't buy The Sun and don't go out of my way to ogle the tits in it. But there's far more disturbing things in The Sun for impressionable youngsters than a girl showing her boobs, as there are in any other newspaper. Stories of of death, destruction, rape, hate, torture, horror, infidelity, dead animals, the Jeremy Clarkson column...is that always appropriate for familys, for youngsters ? Its the world as we know it. Amongst all that, Page 3 is the LEAST of our worries.

As for it giving the mantra that a woman is just a pair of tits - a rudimentary education should be sufficient for most people to realise this isn't the case, and if they don't, then they're beyond help anyway. I don't buy into the notion that Page 3 is the catalyst that creates legions of drooling perverts who are unable to view women as anything other than sex objects. Its nonsense.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
SO much for freedom and equal oppertunites of woman. Not allowed to get their tits out in the Sun anymore. Shocking!

Next, we'll be making them wear burkas

Although the woman on TV this morning discussing it, should made to wear one. Why it is always the boss-eyed Ms munters that object on behalf of all other women.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It never added much to the world in the great scheme of things, neither will its removal bring about some kind of sweeping equality utopia. Its just another little erosion of choice, something thats been removed because some yoghurt-knitting, tofu-munching sandal-wearing Guardian readers got their undercrackers in a twist over it.
Not that you're generalising much (and indeed having read your responses so far on this thread I'm still not sure you're not actually on an elaborate wind-up). Personally, I'm delighted that Page 3 may be no more, just a pretty seedy thing to exist in a national newspaper at this point in time. And although I may occassionally wear sandals I dislike The Guardian as much as the Dauly Mail :)

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Just temporary, to come:
1. Page 3 exclusively men topless but with chest hair concealing nipples to avoid offence
2. Feminists campaign about employment sex inequality
3. Women are back on page 3 - but same rules about chest hair
4. Feminists campaign to allow hairless women to appear, meanwhile sales plummet
5. Hairless women are back!

Or could go other way and religious puritans pandered to by all female flesh being banned

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hilarious.

BBC news website to be precise...

Whyyou would assume any sane female of my age would follow Jodie Marsh good only knows - but live along in your own little bubble my good man...

I've misunderstood what you were saying originally. When you said "spoke in support" I thought you meant of the ending, not of page 3.

Crossed wires, I think if you have a look at this thread we are coming from the same place.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Losing a pair of perfectly rounded and airbrushed norks us no loss whatsoever, however, if we lose Dear Deirdrie that would be a disaster.

It's so nice to know that buying a fridge/a bus trip /going to a garden centre can lead on to the most amazing/ inevitable/threesome/incredible sex which is always far better than with ones /boyfriend/sister/ dog/Dyson, and usually ends up with a rash/pregnancy/banishment/shotgun wedding.

I have been buying fridges, going on bus trips and visiting garden centres for years now , one day it will happen !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Losing a pair of perfectly rounded and airbrushed norks us no loss whatsoever, however, if we lose Dear Deirdrie that would be a disaster.

It's so nice to know that buying a fridge/a bus trip /going to a garden centre can lead on to the most amazing/ inevitable/threesome/incredible sex which is always far better than with ones /boyfriend/sister/ dog/Dyson, and usually ends up with a rash/pregnancy/banishment/shotgun wedding.

I have been buying fridges, going on bus trips and visiting garden centres for years now , one day it will happen !

Doubt it, you're an ugly git.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here